A Soul Ready To Soar

Submitted into Contest #160 in response to: End your story with someone dancing in the rain.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Friendship

My name is Megan, six months ago my life was shattered. I woke up from a coma at South General Hospital with tubes in my body and no recollection of what happened. No one would tell me the truth.

My mother comes to visit me with tears in her eyes and a pain in her heart. I knew something terrible happened. I asked my mother for the truth. She wouldn't give me an answer.

One day I asked my mom "Where Layla was?" My mom didn't answer me. I did see the truth in her eyes. Layla my sister, my best friend was never coming to see me. I would never see her bright smile. We would never laugh together. We would never do the things we promised each other we would do.

I began to cry. My mother came to me and gave me a hug. She told me everything is going to be okay. She's wrong. Nothing in my life is ever going to be the same. I lost my best friend in the whole world.

Gradually the memories started to come back. Piece by piece the horror of that night came into full view. Layla was driving. I was in the passenger seat. We were going to the local pizza place, then to a movie. Me and Layla were laughing, then out of nowhere a black car jumped right into our lane.

Layla didn't see the car until it was too late. The car hit us head on. I remember nothing else until this very moment. The last thing I remembered is me and Layla laughing. Now I wish those horrible memories stayed out of my mind. I want to remember nothing.

Layla is gone. The rest of my friends have moved on. They are in college right now. I missed prom and graduation. Two things I've been looking forward too. I missed summer vacation with my family and friends. It's like life has moved on without me.

Six months since my life has changed forever and I'm still stuck in this hospital watching the world past me by. My mom comes everyday to visit me and everyday I shut her out of my life. I don't want to hear about what my friends are doing or what my family is doing. I'm sick and tired of it all. What I want is what I can't have back and that is Layla.

Every night I cry for Layla and everyday I push those feelings deep into my soul. I hide the painful truth from everyone. It hurts too much to talk about Layla. The memories of Layla is too much for me to handle. I can't bear to be alive while my friend is buried six feet under the ground.

The worst part besides losing Layla is being stuck in rehab, I hate it. I hate people touching me and asking me how I'm feeling all the time. I want this to end. I want the pain to go away.

Rehab once again, this feeling of dread is popping up. The questions, the looks of sadness will once again be on the faces of the doctors. I hate the looks they give me.

I enter the room and once again the pity looks are on their faces. I look around the room and see the same people expect for one. I look at him, he has the same lonely feeling I have.

CADE

I was on top of the world having the best start of my career. In an instant my world came crashing down. What I thought was going to be the game of my life turned out to be the worst game of my life. Even thinking about that day is giving me the chills.

I don't even know how it happened. In three minutes of the first quarter my leg was shattered. The game just began and in three minutes I was on the ground in pain. I was literally paralyzed. I had to be carried off the field. I can't even remember the play that brought me down.

Right now, I don't know if my career will ever be the same or if I have a career left. I dreamed of playing football ever since I went to my first game and now to think I might never play again is heartbreaking.

I've only been in rehab for a week and a half, the truth is I wish I wasn't here. All the stares I get is getting on my nerves. People wanting my autograph is the last thing I want or need. I just want to be left alone and to continue my rehab. Peace is all I want.

Rehab is painful, that is to be expected. I like to think I'm handling it well, after all this is how I train. But the problem is I have to take things day by day. I'm not going to get better overnight and that's the hard part. I always take life as it was my last and never imagined I would shatter my leg.

As I begin another day of rehab, I see all the usual people expect for one. A young woman enters the room. The look on her face is how I feel on the inside. She looks worse than me.

"Megan." I hear one of the doctors call the mysterious woman. She has the same doctor as me. "Cade." Here we go again. I wish I could do this on my own.

"Cade Monroe meet Megan Michaels your new rehab partner." We both look at each other wishing this is not real. I hope she doesn't ask for my autograph.

"Are you guys ready?" I'm not ready. I see Megan staring off into space. I feel sorry for her. Something terrible must have happened to her not just physically but mentally as well. I guess I'll go first. I slowly get up from the wheelchair and begin to walk. Crap, crap, crap, my leg is burning. I'm determined to do this.

I push myself hard. "Easy Cade." I don't listen and keep going. "Cade, take it easy." I fall to the ground. Doctor Jenny grabs my arm. I push her away. I get into the wheelchair on my own. I'm beyond pissed. "Megan, your turn." She looks at me and Doctor Jenny then leaves.

"What happen to Megan?" I ask Doctor Jenny. Doctor Jenny with a sadness on her face looks down on the floor and tells me "Nothing good." She goes on to say "You know cade there are people in this world who are suffering more than you. Some might not even recover.

I hear what Doctor Jenny is saying. I look at Megan and wonder what happened to her to cause her so much pain. I decide to take a big chance and walk over to Megan, well well myself to her. "Hi." I say.

MEGAN

Cade Monroe, the football player, star of the Los Angeles Rams, wonder why he's in rehab then I see the cast on his leg. Well, I don't care if he's here. I'm not some craze fan, just thinking about Cade Monroe being here is reminding me of Layla.

Layla was a big football fan. She loved the Los Angeles Rams. Cade Monroe was her favorite player. here come the tears. I hear someone saying Hi. I look to my side and see Cade Monroe.

I look at him and turn away. I want to be left alone. "My name is Cade. What's your name?" I force myself to look at cade. "My name is Megan." I tell him. "Since we are rehab partners, I thought maybe we can get to know each other." I look at Cade and simply say "No." I get away from him as fast as possible.

Talking to people is the last thing I want. I don't want to relive the most painful part of my life. Nobody gets it. I rather just sulk in my misery alone for the rest of my life.

"What's wrong with you?" My mom shouts in front of the entire room. "Tell me Megan. Let me in. Let anyone in. We are trying to help you. Yet here you are six months later and you are still the same person. We all loved Layla. You are not the only who lost her. The whole town lost her. I lost her. We are healing yet you are not. You are stuck in the memories of that horrible night, instead of embracing the beautiful memories you have of Layla. Megan, I love you but I can't do this anymore. I can't see you like this. I'm done."

I look at my mom the tears coming down her face and I know I disappointed her. She called me out in front of everyone. Deep in my heart I know she is right. The town is healing expect for me.

The memories I have of Layla are very precious to me. The memories are so beautiful and filled with so much happiness and so much laughter. I laugh at one such memory, the first time I laugh since I woke up.

Last summer me and Layla went hiking to the Hollywood sign. We knew nothing about hiking. We thought it would be fun and it was fun. We went up the trail taking pictures, talking, laughing and smiling. It was the best day of my life and just thinking about how I would never have fun times with Layla ever again breaks my heart. I want to cry but I know Layla would be mad at me.

Layla, I miss you so much. I miss the fun times we had together. I wish you were still here with me. I can't help but cry everyday for you. I disappointed you. Layla, I'm so very sorry.

Later that while thinking about my mother's words, I close my eyes and dream of Layla. Layla comes to me in pillows of white light, an angel in every way. Her smile bright as always. Layla's words to me burn deep in my soul. "Megan, I'm always with you. I hear and feel your pain for me. I don't want you to feel this way. Don't mourn me but celebrate me and the memories we share. Find your peace. Go out into the world and always be happy. Never forget I'm always with you and I will always love you."

I wake up and there is Layla. She takes my hand and heals my heart. I peacefully go back to sleep. The next morning I wake up with a renew sense of purpose. I get dress and head to rehab. I find Cade Monroe. I go to him and apologize.

"I'm sorry for yesterday. I'm having a difficult time recovering. Six months ago, I was in a car accident that cost my best friend her life. I've been angry at the world, blaming everyone, shutting out the people who mean the world to me. Layla was everything to me and I don't know how to live without her."

CADE

Oh My God! Doctor Jenny was right. There are people who are suffering more than me. I shattered my leg playing football while Megan lost her best friend. Here I am angry about my leg being in a cast and I know I will heal but Megan's life is never going to be the same. Maybe there is a way we can help each other heal.

"Let's do this together." I look at her with hopeful eyes. She nods and whispers "Okay." I smile and ask her "Is there anything I can do for you? Megan nods. She takes out a purple bracelet.

"This belongs to Layla. This is our friendship bracelet. Her favorite color is purple. She wore this everyday and I wore mine everyday. The day of the accident Layla gave me her bracelet to fix. I put the bracelet in my bag ready to give it to her once I fixed, but I never got the chance. I didn't realize that day was going to be the last time I would see her. I fixed the bracelet but I don't want to wear it. Layla was a big football fan. The Rams were her favorite team and you are her favorite player. I was hoping you will take the bracelet and wear it in honor of Layla."

Wow, I don't know what to say too Megan. This is a big gesture one I gladly expect. "Okay. I will wear the bracelet in honor of Layla if you promise me one thing." Megan nods. "You work hard and I mean hard. Don't give up no matter how much it hurts. We are in this together. Deal." Megan nods. "Deal."

Megan hands me the bracelet. I put it on and feel a sense of hope fill me. "Let's get to work." Starting today and over the next weeks and months me and Megan work extra hard in rehab. We don't go overboard just enough so we know we are in the right path to recovering.

During our time in rehab me and Megan talk about a lot of things. Megan tells me all about Layla. She tells me about all the vacations they took. The school plays they were in. The pizza place they loved going too, the movies they watched and so much more.

This is the first time I see Megan in a new light. She's smiling more and she's happy to talk about Layla. I tell Megan how I started playing football, who were my biggest influences, my family and my team. I also promised Megan I would take her to one of my games. Slowly Megan is starting to become my best friend.

MEGAN

I can't believe it's almost a year since Layla's death and in that time I've slowly been getting out of the darkness and coming into the light. Cade is a big part of my recovery.

Cade is unlike any football player I've seen. he's kind, caring, he listens to me and comforts me when I cry about Layla. I feel happy to be around Cade and grateful to have him in my life. Thank you, Layla for bringing Cade into my life. He's become my new best friend.

Today Doctor Jenny told me and Cade we can have the day off. I'm happy of course but also sad because today is the anniversary of Layla's death. I'm currently sitting in the court yard looking up at the sky when I feel Cade next to me.

He touches me and tells me "Celebrate Layla's life. No more crying. We are in this together." I nod. "No more crying."

Cade grabs my hand. We say a prayer. "Heavenly Father, bless us today, tomorrow and for the rest of our lives. Continue to watch over us as we go about our lives. Amen."

The skies begin to open. Rain begins to fall. I gingerly get up and begin to dance. Cade follows.

Me and Cade dance in the rain in memory of Layla.

August 25, 2022 21:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kinnie Hearts
12:52 Sep 02, 2022

I like the idea of having two point of views!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sara Breugelmans
08:57 Sep 01, 2022

So sad, but luckily with a happy ending. I liked how this story contained two POV's instead of one :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.