0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Suspense

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives. Margurite had spent the last year planning her wedding. It was to be a simple affair, out in a park in the full bloom of springtime. She had finally gotten her makeup done, but her chocolate brown hair was still a messy bramble of frizzy curls. No matter, there were still tables, chairs and all sorts of things to be set up Someone had to supervise. As she stepped out of the small cabin where she had been getting ready, she inspected the scene. The gazebo, where the reception was to be held, was tastefully decorated with purple lilys and magenta roses. Green and gold sashes were draped between the supporting beams. For the ceremony, a huge white rug was laid out upon which chairs were to be lined up all facing a disheveled floral archway. Amanda, her maid of honor, was standing near there, staring deeply into her phone, thumbs flying across it.

"Amanda," Margurite called, "would you mind helping me with the archway? I want to make sure the flowers are symmetrical."

Amanda gasped at the sight of her. "Your hair is a mess! We need to get you together first, the flowers look beautiful as they are"

Amanda grabbed Margurite's arm but she yanked her arm back.

"I want to make sure everythiing is right before the guests come and I have to be out of sight. I can finish getting ready when people arrive."

"Stop worrying about the decorations, you hired other people to worry about that."

"You are being awefuly agressive. What's going on with you?"

"Sorry, I'm just kinda nervous about today."

"Why's that?"

"Oh," Amanda looked down and took a long pause, "I just want everything to be perfect for you two."

Margurite lowered her eyebrows suspiciously. Her words were flat and measured. "That's very kind of you. Would you please help me fix these flowers instead of arguing with me about them?"

"How long will that take?"

"It will take how long it takes!" she yelled.

"Woah, who's being agressive now?"

"Sorry, I.... I haven't heard from Henry today. He was supposed to be here 20 minutes ago."

"Oh," Amanda's eyes widened almost artifically. "It's still early, I wouldn't worry about it. He's probably just getting ready."

"You're probably right." Margurite pulled out her phone from a small clutch and dialed Henry. It went to voice mail.

"Hi sweetie, how are you? I just want to make sure everything is OK."

Amanda rolled her eyes, "You're being paranoid."

A gentleman with thick rimmed glasses and hair that couldn't be higher or tighter came over and put his hand on Margurite's arm and looked her directly in the eye. "Hi, I couldn't help but overhear and I just wanted to let you know that we are still setting up and we will make sure everything is perfect for you!" His smile took up his whole face.

Margurite gave him a gentle smile and thanked him. She went with Amanda to the cabin to fix her messy locks. Amanda sprayed her hair with something and clumsily ran a brush through it, almost as if she was distracted.

"Ow! I would like to have some hair left when you finish please."

"Sorry, I'll be more gentle," she seemed to yank harder.

Margurite had an exasperated expression on her face. "I think I can do my own hair, thanks. Why don't you go check on the decortators?"

Amanda riased her eyebrows, "well OK then."

Margurite grabed the flat iron and ran it through a large section of hair that Amanda had brushed out. It sizzled and smoked. Somehow, she could viscerally feel the burning hair, she could certainly smell it. The flowing curls Amanda had planned for her would have looked good, but Margurite wanted something different. She grabed a dollop of hair cream and felt her parched locks drink it up. They seemed satisfied. After styling it how she liked she checked her phone again. Still nothing from Henry. She slipped into her white tea length gown with lacy bell sleeves. Her chaple length veil hung on a floral headpiece. Looking out the window, she saw guests everywhere. Her bridemaids too. Why had they not come to the cabin to help her? A priest was strolling down the hill in full regalia. He knocked on the cabin door.

"Father Ferris, how are you?" Margurite's smile showed an easy grace she wished she could feel.

'Oh, fine, fine. You look stunning! This is a beautiful park, lovely setting for a wedding. I've been looking around and I haven't seen Henry. When is he supposed to be here?"

"Any minute now. I'm sure he's OK, just running a bit behind. I know I'm not supposed to be seen by anyone just yet, but I just want to ask Amanda if she has heard anything."

Over by the archway Amanda was staring deeply into her phone. Margurite silently wandered towards her and caught a glimpse of what she was texting. Henry's name was at the top of the screen and the text box read, "Just don't show up, it's the easiest way to get..."

Amanda jumped, "Hey, you"re done with your hair. It looks nice."

"Thanks. Have you heard from Henry?"

"No," she groaned. "You're being paranoid."

"Paranoid?" she spat. "about what?"

"About Henry. He's probably fine."

"I never said he wasn't. He was supposed to be here an hour ago and I haven't heard from him at all today! Though you have apparently."

Amanda turned as white as Margurite's dress, "no I haven't."

"Don't lie to me, I saw your phone, I saw you texting him."

Amanda just stared silently.

"Why did you tell him not to show up?"

"I didn't tell him that!" She shouted. "You shouldn't be snooping through my phone!"

Margurite glared at her, "is that all you have to say for yourself?"

"You were the one snooping through my phone, that's creepy."

Before Amanda saw what was happening, Margurite snatched her phone right out of her hand and ran off. She called Henry as she ran. He picked up. She didn't say anything.

"Hey Amanda, I really don't feel right about this. We have to break this off. I should have done this a while ago. I hope you understand. You're breathing sounds heavy, are you OK?"

Margurite ran into the woods, tears mixing with makeup to cause black streaks down her face.

"Amanda, are you crying? I'm so sorry about this. You can't tell Margurite OK?"

Amanda found a crumpled mess of a woman on the ground, her phone just a few feet away.

"Hey," her voice was gentle.

"Go away!" she ordered.

"What happened?"

Margurite lifted her murderous eyes and in a low, quiet rage spoke. "Get away from me."

30 years or 30 minutes later, Henry finally showed up, but by then it was too late.

November 20, 2020 02:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.