5 comments

Romance Happy American

July 15th, 1821

Oh how the sun was shining! Everything its light touched was illuminated in a cast of gold and silver. The blue sky stretched endlessly over the scattered cottages which made up the quaint little town of Newbay.

Newbay was a small little town nestled in the middle of a large thick forest. Almost everyone in the town knew each other, and everyone lived harmoniously and happily. Each working to better himself, and help his neighbors.

“C’mon Sarah!” Austin Harrington, a handsome young man yelled as his eyes sparkled with joy. His auburn hair glowing like fire in the late afternoon sun.

“Austin!” A laughing young woman with bright blue eyes said as she walked up to Austin. Sarah Obrien, was beautiful today, her caramel hair falling in spirals down the back of her butter yellow frock.

Austin smiled, his green eyes reflecting the colours of the trees around them. And taking her soft hand in his, the two walked side by side

“Where are we going?” Sarah asked joyously as she brushed a stray string of her hair off of her freckled face. Austin looked up into the azure sky and smiled. Sarah tilted her head curiously and awaited his response.

“Do you remember the first time I kissed you?” Austin asked, his lips spreading into a smile across his face.

Sarah let her face fill with happiness as she remembered that wonderful moment. The feeling of his soft lips pressed against hers, his warm breath against her face, his strong arms wrapping her up in his warm embrace.

Yes, she remembered, almost too well. Sarah nodded, letting the joyous sounds of the forest envelope them. The sound of the mid summer breeze blowing through the boughs of the trees. The mockingbirds’ happy chatter as they fluttered just above them.

“Yes, I remember, and I always will.” Sarah said; still her hand in his as they continued to walk through the forest. How enchanting that day was, everything was perfect. How the sunrays sifted through the overhanging leaves, and fell onto the forest floor in intricate designs and shapes was beautiful.

The two continued to walk, passing through thickets and little clear patches of forest. The sights and sounds of the wood transporting them to pure a land of pure bliss.

Then, as suddenly as they had started walking, Austin came abruptly to a stop.

“What’s wrong Austin?” Sarah said, slight concern flashing across her face. Though she reassured herself that nothing could be that bad as to ruin their perfect day.

A smile spread across Austin’s handsome face as he turned to her.

“Close your eyes.” He said barely above a whisper, mischief glittering in his bright green eyes. Sarah laughed softly, and let her eyelids fall over eyes, thrusting her into darkness. Though, she could still feel the warm sunshine on her face.

Sarah felt Austin slip his hand into hers, and with a tug; led her forward. Sarah could still feel the bumps of stones under her shoes, and sometimes worried she would trip.

“Almost there.” Austin said, his strong hands leading her on through her temporary world of darkness.

“Almost where?” Sarah asked her eyebrows down pointing in curiosity.

“You’ll see.” Was all Austin replied, pure joy hidden behind his not-so secretive response.

“Ahh, here we are! Now, when I tell you; open your eyes.” Austin said, gripping Sarah’s hand, and leading her a few steps farther he stopped her once more.

Sarah smiled, feeling his hand slip out of hers; and awaiting what would happen next, bit her bottom lip.

Austin stepped away from Sarah, and stood looking at her standing in the clearing. Her yellow dress fluttering gracefully in the summer breeze, her caramel hair brushed carelessly over her shoulder. How enchanting his soon- to be bride looked.

Then, walking up to her, Austin bent his head down and kissed her. Time seemed to stop, slowing everything down around them to a blur. The wind was no more than a far distant ocean wave, the birds; no louder than a kittens soft purr.

“You can open your eyes now.” Austin whispered; pulling away from her. Sarah’s eyes fluttered open moments later, and then widened in surprise.

“You found it!” Sarah exclaimed, a wave of tender joy escaped her heart. It swept in a warm flood up her arteries, like the fire of a million stars. Then, breaking into a run; Sarah ran up underneath an enormous oak tree. That spouted from the ground like a fountain.

“Of course I found it! How could I ever forget?” Austin said catching up to her. The two stood silent for a couple hours, or maybe seconds. They could not tell.

“I remember when we came here together,” Sarah said her eyes glazed in wistful memory, “you told me you loved me, and we carved our names into this tree.” Sarah turned to Austin who shook his head smiling.

“And, the carving is still here.” Austin walked up closer to the great tree. And, in the middle of the rough bark sat a crude carving of a heart; bearing two names and a date.

Austin Harrington and Sarah Obrien April 23rd, 1820

The two laughed, remembering their first moments of their life together, that would forever be illuminated in the bark of this tree; and carved in their hearts.

Austin sighed contentedly, and turned to Sarah. He took her hand in his. They stood facing each other hand in hand, while the great vibrant life they were now touching so closely filled their hearts and eyes, and left them faint. They stood there, spirit-hushed, ecstatic.

And from that moment on, they would get married but a day later. Raise a large, prosperous family, and live happily ever after.

July 15th, 1981

“Alright kids, gather ‘round.” A tall middle aged man said as he gathered his children on a big grassy clearing; the only shade provided by a huge oak tree that towered above them.

“Hey, Franklin quite messing with Annie.” The man intervened as two of his children began to quarrel.

“Now, do you all know why I have gathered us here?” He asked looking his wife who was standing beside him, and all of his children in the eye.

“No daddy.” Was the answer his children gave back to him. And with a smile, he began to tell a tale.

“Long ago, my Great, Great Grandpa Austin, bought these fifty acres of land,” The man gestured to the land around him, “for he was to be married very soon, to a pretty little lady who went by the name of Sarah. She was my Great, Great Grandma. Anyway, he bought this land and came here with Sarah, and they carved their names into the bark of this tree.”

Surprised gasps came from the little group, as they all rushed up to the tree; each trying to see the carving. One by one, the children were lifted up and got to touch carving.

After everyone had gotten a chance to see the marking, their father addressed them again.

“Now, your ma and I have decided that to farther honor your Great, Great, Great Grandpa and Grandma’s memory, we are to build a tree house in this here tree!”

Cheers and shouts came from the little group as they set to work, building the little tree house.

~~~~

Two weeks later…

“I now present to you, the Harrington family tree house!” The father shouted as he made room for all eight of his children to climb up the sturdy ladder that he had built, so that they could reach the tree house.

The house, was nestled safely among the strongest, thickest branches of the tree. Its structure woven around the trunk, so that it would sway with the tree if a storm came.

“This was a wonderful idea, Dan.” Dan’s wife said as she stood beside him; the two watching their children race around the safe, sturdy tree house.

Dan put his arm around the back of his wife, and pulled her close to him.

“It felt, right Mary. To honor them this way.” Dan smiled wistfully, how he loved his family. He wanted to make sure their life was perfect; he wanted to make sure they had nothing to fear, he wanted them to know he loved them.

Mary looked up at him, and smiled. 

Author's note: Thank you to all who read this! Please be brutally honest about what you like and don't like! I am planning on adding more at some future time! I hope you enjoyed it!;)

April 22, 2021 20:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Angel {Readsy}
03:42 Apr 28, 2021

I am a nightingale; I read and sing your stories in the flowering garden and all birds, firefly, fairy and flowers are smiling and very thankful to you for writing such an excellent story.

Reply

Eden Arbon
14:10 Apr 28, 2021

Beautiful! Thank you;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
18:12 Apr 24, 2021

Yes! touched was illuminated in a cast of gold and silver , that sentence perfect as is you are Professional having potentials and strength in writing.

Reply

Eden Arbon
20:30 Apr 24, 2021

Awww! You are so sweet! Thank you! I really love to describe scenes so this story was fun to write! I am glad that you enjoyed it!;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eden Arbon
20:57 Apr 22, 2021

I hope you all enjoy reading this submission! If you comment, I will read one of your submissions as well! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.