Unicorn Blood and Winged Liner

Submitted into Contest #38 in response to: Write a story about someone posting a video on social media that goes viral.... view prompt

1 comment

General

“Hello, and welcome to my channel!” I say to the camera, “Today we are going to learn how to do the perfect makeup for school.”  If you're wondering, no I'm not famous on youtube, not even close. I'm not exactly the most popular kid in highschool, mostly because I’m the only openly gay kid in my grade. I started my channel in my freshman year because I have always admired James Charles for being amazing and a role model. I only got one subscriber, and it was my mom.

I posted my video to youtube and then started to make dinner. My mom was still at work, so it was my day to make dinner. I was stirring the spaghetti noodles when my phone dinged. I ignored it. I was straining the noodles when my phone wouldn't stop dinging. “Fine,” I said to myself, “I’ll check my phone.” I had 4000 notifications from youtube, and I kept getting more. I had 2,000 likes, 300 comments, 1700 subscribers. “OH MY GOD!” I shouted with excitement. This was unbelievable. 

My mom walked in the door. “Hi” I said excitedly, but then realized my noodles were still in the strainer. I poured them back in the pot, and then grabbed two bowls.  “What's all the excitement about?” asked my mom. “MY VIDEO IS GOING VIRAL!” I nearly shout with excitement as we sit down for dinner. “Are you serious?” asks my mom. ”YES!” I nearly shout as I hand my mom my phone. “OH MY GOSH!” she shouts while looking at my phone.

After dinner I took a shower and went to my room. I tried to fall asleep, but I was too excited. I decided I would read my comments. “ Really awesome video” was my most liked comment. There were also requests for other makeup tutorials. I saw some rude comments, but I didn't let it get to me. I checked how many subscribers. I was shocked! I had 35,000 subscribers.

The next day I woke up and got ready to go to school. I was putting on my backpack when I noticed my makeup sitting on my dresser. I had never worn makeup to school before. I looked at it again, and then I decided to put some on. “You only live once.” I said to myself.  I decided to use my good as gold colourpop pallet with a big winged eyeliner and my unicorn blood liquid lipstick from Jeffree Star Cosmetics. It may sound like I'm rich, but I'm not. The other makeup I used was from Walgreens, including my lashes. 

I walked into school. People were looking at me. I started to get worried, but then I realized that I had nothing to be afraid of. I was being myself and that was all that mattered. I walked into science. My science partner/best friend Hailey gave me a highfive. “You look awesome!” she said as I sat in my seat. “Thank you.” I said happily, “You will never guess what happened last night.” I said. “You finally learned how to not suck at videogames?” she asked jokingly, knowing that I hate video games. “No.” I said getting more excited. “What is it?” she asked.  “Look at my phone!” I said handing her my phone pulled up to my newest video. “OMG THAT’S AWESOME!” she said.

The next few classes and lunch went by like a blur. I walked into math, my least favorite class. I didn't dislike the class because I hated math, I actually thought it was cool. I disliked it because of the teacher Mr. James, the most homophobic person I have ever met. “Sit down for attendance” said Mr.James. I sat down in my seat at the front of the class. “Mr.Stone that is highly inappropriate.” said Mr. James, looking at me. I stood up. “What's wrong with it.” I asked calmly. “It's not right for a boy to wear makeup,” he said. “I have never seen anything more ridiculous in my life. You are distracting everyone.” My face started to get red. Before I could say anything Jacob, the captain of the football team, stood up. “Justin can wear whatever he wants.” he shouted. “You can both go to the office.” Mr. James shouted back.

We walked down the hallway. “Thank you,” I said to Jacob. “No problem dude. You look really cute with makeup on anyways.” he said with a wink. My face started to get red. “Thank you.” I said again. He stopped walking and looked at me. “I am amazed how confident you are. I can never be as confident as you are.” He said to me. “Just try.” I said while looking in his eyes.    “Ok.” he said, then he kissed me.

We walked the rest of the way to the office. The secretary was on the phone. “Sit down and I will get to you in a second.” she said to us. I sat down. I was excited to see Jacob sit next to me. He puts his mouth to my ear. “Give me your number and I will text you.” he whispers. “Ok.” I whisper. “I really, really like you. Don't tell anyone by the way. I don’t want people to know im gay yet.” he whispers. 

We each got let off with a warning because it was our first time getting in trouble. The bell rang. I headed off to english class and he headed off to history class. The rest of the day seemed to drag on. As soon as the final bell rang I hopped up and practically ran to my locker. I got to my locker and Jacob was waiting for me. “Type your number in my phone.” He said to me while handing me his phone. “Ok.” I said as I took his phone. I put in my number and handed his phone back. “See you soon.” He said as he walked to the bus.

I walked home from school. When I got home, I went straight to my room. I turned on my phone. 10,000,000 views on my video. “Oh my gosh.” I nearly shouted with excitement. I decide to make another video.  I was in the middle of the video when I got an email. I decided to read it. “MOMMMMMMMM!” I shouted. “What?” She asks as she walks in my room. “Read this!” I shouted while practically throwing her my phone. “YOU'RE GETTING OFFERED A MODELING JOB IN HOLLYWOOD!” She shouts with excitement. “They offered to pay for us to live there for 3 months!” I said excitedly, “If we say yes then we leave on monday!” She says excitedly with a slight bit of panic in her voice. “Say yes!” I say “Ok.” She says as she emails them with our response.

I started packing. I couldn't believe I was leaving in three days. My phone started ringing. I answered it. “Hello, who is this? I said into the phone. “Hey it's me, Jacob.” Oh crap, I still hadn’t told Jacob that I was moving to Hollywood for at least three months. “I have a question?” asked Jacob. “What is it?” I asked. “Can you come to my game tomorrow?” Jacob asked. “Sure!” I said. He hung up. I could always tell him after his football game.

I finished packing up what I was going to need for the next three months. I put on my pajamas and crawled into bed. I tried to fall asleep, but I felt horrible. I was going to have to tell Jacob. He was going to be upset. I fell asleep feeling guilty.

I woke up really late the next morning, but the day seemed to last forever. I was so happy/nervous when it was fifteen minutes till the game would start. I walked to school which felt weird because it was a Saturday. There was so many people already there. I had decided to sit on the first row of bleachers. When the game started, my phone rang. I got a text from my mom. “Turns out we're leaving tomorrow. Get home soon.” I was leaving early. I wasn't going to be able to tell Jacob goodbye. I saw him sitting on the bench with his phone. “I'm leaving for Hollywood tomorrow.” I text him. “Are you here?” He texted back. “Yes, I'm sitting on the first row of bleachers.” I texted. He scanned the bleachers and found me. He ran to me. “I love you.” he said before he kissed me. 

The next day I got on the plane for Hollywood, but not before I posted another video.


April 25, 2020 02:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

02:41 May 15, 2020

This was a really good story, and a topic that not very many people explore. It is completely okay to be who you are, but like Mr. James, some people judge you for it. It is completely wrong and I'm so glad that you wrote a short story about it. Keep writing and stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.