0 comments

Creative Nonfiction

~Gabriella’s POV~

People walking around the city like they have nothing to lose. Smiles forming in their faces, running around chasing children. Others running while absorbed water is coming out of their bodies. How can people not scream when being touched by light? Is there a special jewelry to be worn?  So lost in my thoughts, that my roommate Samantha had to get my attention. 

“Why do you look like you’ve seen a ghost Gabi” she says concerned

“How can you and other people be walking around like everything is normal?” Gabriella asked, sounding astonished.

“What are you talking about?” Samantha asks confused 

Myself couldn’t bear to tell my own roommate about my disease, she would think that I’m crazy just like my family thinks so, I have known my roommate since we were kids. We would never be separate from each other, we went to school together, lived in the same complex, and would always play outside everyday together, that all changed once I hit 19 years old. It was any normal day or I thought it was, had just finished moving in with my roommate.

~ Time Before ~ 

 Walking around my new room while looking over the new city view, New York City was so mouth dropping when it was night time, all the lights on from Time Square, the screen boards just popping up with celebrities, it was always a dream of mine to move to New York City and I accomplished that dream while moving with best friend. So amused by the light, that I got spooked by my roommate being right behind me.

“AAAAAH” I yelled.

“CHILL it’s just me” she says laughing.

“How long have you been zoned out?” she says while trying to catch her breath.

“Not too long, I think?” I said scratching my head.

“Well we should get some sleep, wanna roam around the city tomorrow?” she asks, sounding excited.

“Yeah I’m down, I wanna try the coffee here” I say while trying to look for a coffee shop from my window.

“Alright it’s settled then, well goodnight I’m gonna go to sleep.” she says walking out the door.

“Goodnight!!!” I yell for her to hear.

I get changed into pyjamas and sound right to sleep once I turn off the lights. 

~ The next morning ~

It’s the next morning, I started waking up from the light that was coming in from my room and started having a weak feeling all around my body.

“Why do I feel so weak, am I sick?” I said while getting up and touching my forehead.

Nothing was wrong, didn’t have a temperature, no sore throat, not even an urge to throw up. So confused on what’s happening, but I get up and head to the bathroom. On my way I get a burning sensation on my foot, looking down and seeing my skin burning and seeing dead skin starting to clump.

“AHHHHH SAMANTHA” I scream at the top of my lungs.

“What?”she asks, running in worried to see me on the floor.

“My foot is burning!! Dead skin is appearing!!” I say in pain.

“There’s nothing on your foot Gabriela” she says angrily and confused.

“What??” I said confused

I looked down and my foot was back to normal, not a thing out of place, no scars, or anything weird looking. 

“I swear my foot was burning!! It felt like someone planted a grenade on my foot!!” I said screaming at her.

“Yeah right” Samantha says, rolling her eyes and walking out of my room.

Even more confused than before, looking down at her foot and touching it. Nothing hurt, I got up and my foot was walking normally. I ignored the thought and went straight to the restroom.

~ To recent time ~ 3rd person POV

Ever since that time Gabriella hasn’t gone outside to go anywhere, if she needs food or water, it has to be night time for her to get it. Whenever Gabriella has had to eat food, it would disgust her to the point of making her feel nauseous, gums feel like they're about to come off, and her attitude has changed when talking to her roommate. Samantha has noticed Gabriella’s actions but is worried that she might get hurt when talking to her. 

~Back to Gabriella’s POV~

“Nothing, just forget about it” I said, leaving her confused

“Can we go roam around Central Park together please?” she asks, begging me.

“No, I don’t feel like doing anything today” I say while hiding under my blanket.

“You always say that!, Why don’t you want to go anywhere!?” she says, sounding mad

It’s true ever since we have moved, I’ve ignored every invitation that Samantha gives me to go somewhere. My all time excuse to say is “Don’t feel like going anywhere today” and it’s starting to get on her nerves. 

“I just don’t want to, okay!!” I say while not moving out of the blanket.

“Something is wrong, I know there is, you are never like this” she says while putting her hand on my somewhat back.

I’ve always wanted to tell Samantha, but I feel like she wouldn’t believe me. After all, the day when “my foot was burning” she thought it was my excuse to get her up in the morning. Still been deciding whether to tell her or not, but there is gonna be a day where she gets really worried.

“This is what’s wrong” I say getting out of the bed.

“Where are you going?” She says while looking up.

“Just look carefully” I tell her 

Getting out of bed was already making my heart race uncontrollably, taking step by step to my window. Looking back to see Samantha so confused in what I’m about to do, I take one big step into the light, my whole leg starts burning.

“AHHHHH!!!” I scream while collapsing out of the light

“Oh my God” She says while running to me.

~ Samantha’s POV ~

Once she started taking steps towards the light, I had no clue what she was about to do. She hesitantly took that step into the light, and her whole leg was burning. She collapsed so quickly to the ground and by the time she was out of the light her “burning leg” was already back to normal. 

*What is wrong with her* Is all I can think about.

~ Back to Gabriella’s POV ~

Once I reached the shade my whole leg was back to normal, Samantha looked at me like she had seen a ghost. Once she kept getting closer to me I felt something unusual, I kept hearing beating with some thumping and it kept getting louder as she got closer. So concentrated with the sound which led into Samantha running towards me and getting me out of the trance.

“Why does your leg look normal?” She says while moving my leg.

“I don’t….. Know” I say still hearing the beating.

“Why do you look confused and mad?” She says looking at me 

“I look mad?” I say while switching my attention to her

“Ummmm…. your eyes… are turning red” She says while backing away

Words that came out of her mouth were muffled by my hearing, my whole attention was the delicious smell that came into my sense. Her appearance backing away caused the sense to be less stronger, a feeling was occurring into my body. Hunger. It was hunger. My body demanded to not let her leave the room.

~ Samantha’s POV ~

Once I told Gabriella that her eyes were turning red, she wasn’t even listening, she was so focused on something else. I started to back away, took one step and she looked straight at me with anger. Her eyes were a darker shade of red, it looked like she was in a trance.

“Gabriella?” I said trying to get her attention

She ignored my calling, took another step back, my presence made her stand in less than three seconds. I needed to make a run for it, this has never happened to me when I’m with Gabriella. She was another person in this case, I threw a shoe in the other direction and she followed the shoe. Ran as fast as I can to the door, I can hear a sound wind coming my way and with that presence Gabriella was already in front of me. So scared from her appearance, the first thing I noticed were her sharp teeth that were showing under her upper lip. Veins started growing under her eyes, her eyes were pure black now. 

“Gabriella please listen to me!” I yell at her

“Gabriella look at me please!” I tell her desperately 

She looks straight to my eyes with my call, her eyes were pure black but there's a sense in me which sees that Gabriella was still the person that I’ve known since a little kid.

“Remember the first time when we first met?” I ask her as calm as I can be.

She tilts her head as I slowly come closer to her.

“We first met at the complex, do you remember?” I tell her

She looked at me while her veins were slowly going away, along with the teeth from her upper lip that were showing.

“Do you remember who came to who first?” I ask chuckling a little

She smiled at me, by then all of her face appearances had disappeared.

“Of course I do, you came up to me first. I was so shy but you broke the shyness out of me.” she says chuckling.

“Yeah that’s right, that is really how it went” I say smiling at her.

“Now we need to find what is wrong with you.” I say looking straight at her.

She nods with my suggestion, once it was settled there was a knock at the door. Looking over at Gabriella she was gone, turned to the front door and Gabriella was already there and about to open the door.

“How’d you get there so fast” I ask being surprised

“I don’t know but a man is behind the door” She says while looking through the peephole.

~ Gabriella’s POV ~

I pushed off my heels and felt like my life flashed before my eyes which all of a sudden I poofed to the front door. Stunned as I was, I peeped through the peephole and saw a fully black clothed man.

“How’d you get there so fast” Samantha asks being surprised

“I don’t know but a man is behind the door” I say answering her

I opened the door half way to see the man with his hands up and with his fingers ready to snap, once he snapped my whole vision went black. All of a sudden I woke up in my bed, and quickly got up, so confused about what happened. Didn’t feel weak anywhere in my body, went on my feet and felt energized that I started running around the room. Was so energetic that I didn’t realize that I was running in the light, stopped in the light and looked at my leg.

“No burns!!” I say excited

“NO BURNS!!!” I say screaming

“Who’s burning?” Samantha says running into my room

“I’m not burning!! And I’m in the sun!!” I say all excited and jumpy

“Really? I wake up to this” Samantha says angrily 

I ran to her while having my arms wide open, into giving her a hug I tackled her to the ground and squeezed her like if our lives were about to end.

“Why are you so happy this morning?” Samantha says while groaning.

“Just happy to be living with you” I say while looking at her

“Okayyyyy that’s the first” She says chuckling.

We just stayed on the floor hugging each other while telling old memories that we both shared and continued our day roaming around Time Square and Central Park with delicious cups of iced coffee. 

May 08, 2021 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.