0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

Elections were a few months to go. The new KK party was unveiled before the public by its founder Madam Henna and its secretary Dave a tall handsome man of 29 with the physique of a prize fighter. A crowd of supporters cheered and wished the party good luck. Dave announced “Thank you all. We’re going on a whirlwind tour covering the entire region. North to south and east to west to plumb the wishes of the people. Our patrons have provided us necessary funds. We’re going with our volunteers many of whom are good speakers to impress every citizen. We will make our people ready to vote for KK. Thanks. Madam Henna will now speak to you.”

Madam Henna a tall slim lady about 29 with an ever smiling face addressed the crowd asking them to share their grievances and needs with the KK election team. She then said “Two of our volunteers Lily and Pinky will entertain you now in a musical extravaganza.”

Lily was 18 and Pinky was 19. They were both slim and nice looking but came from different backgounds. Lily was from a rural area whereas Pinky was city bred. The orchestra struck up and songs commenced. The numbers selected were popular renderings from the movies and the audience greatly appreciated the performance.

After the performance Henna congratulated the artistes.

The team commenced travel in a couple of buses and a jeep beside two cars in which Henna and Dave travelled. The program was the same – speeches, entertainment.

A few weeks had passed since KK was formed.

 Henna asked “Dave are we going along as a team?”

Dave said “Sure Madam. Our comedian makes people laugh. Our singers hold audiences spellbound.”

“How do Lily and Pinky get along? I’ve also been observing them.”

Dave thought a little and said “As you know Lily and Pinky are not of the same cast. PInky is more assertive and easily impresses whereas Lily tries to follow on. I doubt if they will blend.”

Henna laughed and said “That’s what I had expected. Rumblings of female minds. That doesn’t hinder our canvassing.” She sat up and said “Dave we’ve crossed 35 of the points of impact that we had drawn up.”

“Yes madam. We’re proceeding as per plan. Don’t worry we’ll cover every corner as planned.”

When they had reached their point 40 they were held up by rain. The jeep driver had a health problem and had to be rushed to hospital. The driver was brought into the jeep by Dave while Pinky drove to a hospital in a town not far away. Dave went along to cover expenses.

 However the return journey was impossible due to flooding of the roads.  Pinky was almost washed away but Dave saved her and they found rooms to stay in for two days. Traffic was then restored and the two rejoined the election team. Since then Pinky became the jeep driver which she enjoyed.

Lily was watching the developments with anger. Her eye was on Dave and she hated Pinky’s chances of moving closely with him. They went along till they reached point 59. There an Angela struck up contact with Lily. Angela whispered “A pile of cash awaits you if you can create problems in your team and be a tale bearer. I’m from the DD party and my party will pay you. Agree to it and half the money will reach your people in an hour.” The money reached.

Lily announced to Dave “I can’t perform any more. I’m pregnant. I won’t reveal the father of the unborn child who is also in our team.”

DD spread the news that there were amoral activities in the KK team.

Pinky who had grown close to Dave was talking to him about Lily’s condition. She said “I don’t approve of what Lily has done. I got close to you by being the jeep driver. I like you and I know you like me too....”

Dave didn’t respond which disappointed Pinky. She recalled how close she had come to losing her virginity with Dave after he had saved her from being washed away at point 40. It was his restraint that it didn’t happen for which she was sorry.  Now her anger roared. A week later Pinky announced that she was also in the family way by an undisclosed lover. She expected Lily would talk to her but that woman remained distant.

Henna sensed there was a mood of resentment among members due to the two pregnancies. She continued entertainment programs with substitutes and merely allowed Lily and Pinky to continue in the team to show how generous her political party was. But slowly some members dropped out.

Meanwhile the DD party publicized that Henna’s team was amoral since two unmarried members had got pregnant. The news had been spread by Lily. DD asked “Do people want this kind of lose behaviour publicized ?  Certainly not. Bring DD to power and morality will be assured and women protected.”

Pinky was watching the developments very carefully. She was a woman with drive and her eye was on becoming a leader like Henna. She tried getting Dave but he remained neutral. In desperation she said to Henna “I’m quitting.”

 Lily was happy to hear that Pinky had quit but she felt guilty at having briefly turned renegade. Nevertheless she tried her luck with Dave.

She said “Dave I’m not pregnant. I had only announced it to get Pinky angry and jealous. I thought you loved Pinky. In fact I’ll forgive you for having been her lover at point 40 due to which she got pregnant.”

“That is nonsense. I was never intimate with her. I saved her as she was about to be washed away in a channel with water gushing through it. Nothing happened beyond that.”

“She claimed she was pregnant and I believed it was due to you.”

He was silent. She said “After the elections we could be you know, you know....”

“I won’t be free. I’ve proposed to Henna and she will be my wife.”

The elections came at last and both KK and DD parties used every move possible to win. DD won leaving Henna a disappointed woman. She was further infuriated to hear that Pinky who had joined DD had become its deputy leader. It was said that woman had by her determined efforts transformed DD by her moves which she had watched and learnt from her participation in the KK team. The only consolation Henna had was that Dave married her.

END

October 03, 2022 12:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.