The Red Coat

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

“Thank you so much for your donations Mrs. Davis! Have a good evening!” I waved at the smiling woman as she climbed into her minivan. Her twin six year old boys were inside happily munching on fruit snacks, secure in their car-seats.


I took the first two of the five totes down to the sorting table in the basement. Two more trips to bring the rest of the totes down and placed on a bench to await their turn. Another trip upstairs to turn off the outside light and make sure the doors were locked.


The community clothing drive was going better than expected. This was the fourth year and, despite being down on volunteers, the amount of donations had risen each year. So far there were 30 boxes of clothing and blankets neatly stacked against the back wall ready to be loaded. I would be taking the boxes to the shelter on Saturday, that gave me two days to get the last of the donations ready to go.


The first two totes were filled to bursting with brand new blankets and sheets! Mrs Davis had gone beyond expectations. The designs were plain but would mean the world to somebody who was stuck in an impossible situation. I placed the totes with the other boxes labeled blankets and placed a potpourri sachet inside. The director had told me once that the residents confided that the smell of freshly laundered sheets and clothing was the one thing they missed the most about normal life.


That had made me pause. Clean sheets and folded laundry in my dresser was something I took for granted. I might not have a lot in life, but I had wanted to help where I could. I quickly scribbled a thank you card for the Davis family and placed it next to the others to be mailed out in the morning. The next tote revealed children's clothing. It was all clean but needed to be sorted. I set them on the floor to be dealt with later. The last totes contained coats belonging to Mr. Davis’s mother.


I checked out the first few and the smell of mothballs tickled my nose. I closed the boxes and hauled them to the back seat of my car. They were nice jackets and would be quickly snatched up as the weather was rapidly showing signs of winter. The calendar only showed it being mid October, but there was a definite chill in the night time air.


Another check to make sure I had everything and locking the door for the night, I drove home to start washing laundry. My job as head librarian gave me most evenings free for volunteer work. I pulled into my driveway, my headlights lit up the glowing eyes of a cat sitting on my porch swing. I was allergic to cats, but the stray all black cat had adopted me. After I carried all the boxes into the house, I made sure his food and water was full and gave him a quick rub behind his ears. He rubbed my leg in appreciation and then dug into his dinner.


After a quick wash up and changing into comfy evening clothes I started sorting the boxes. The jackets were wash and wear and I started the first load. A few coats were labeled for dry clean only, I could wash them by hand and lay them them out to dry. At the bottom of the last box there was a vibrant red winter coat. It was in excellent condition. Obviously, the garment had been for a special occasion and forgotten about in the back of a closet. I never met the late Mrs. Davis, but she had excellent taste!


As the washer finished, I switched the first load of laundry to the dryer. The next load went into the washer, only 2 more loads to go! I filled the utility sink with cool water, added a couple caps of gentle detergent and placed the dry clean only coats to soak for a few minutes. As I picked up the red coat, I hesitated. I never really cared for the color red, but this elegant coat called to me.


I slid my arms through the silk lined sleeves. The collar snugged around my neck. It fit me perfectly! The buttons slid into their holes smoothly and the belt, once fastened, drew my eyes to my naturally slim waist. The old oval mirror in the corner reflected what I knew, that this fabulous coat was expertly crafted and must have cost a lot of money. I felt like a runway model showing the hottest fall fashions as I twisted and turned. I placed my hands in the pocket and stuck a pose.


My reflection showed an odd face as my finger found a small tear in the left pocket, a small imperfection in an otherwise flawless item. My finger wormed it’s way into the hole and felt something hard and smooth. A coin perhaps? I took the coat off and sat it back in the box. I washed and rinsed the coats in the utility sink and laid them out on towels to dry overnight. I picked the first load of now dry jackets from the dryer and took them and the red coat upstairs.


An hour later, the last load of laundry was in the dryer. All the other garments were in boxes with vanilla scented sachets. I turned my attention to the red coat. I traced the object trapped in the lining. A locket that had broken from it’s chain long ago and had been placed in the coat pocket. I used both hands to work it near the pocket. Slowly it made its way to my waiting fingers.


It was a thick oval metal disc. I found a notch as I traced the edge with with my finger. My nail popped the disc open, inside there was a piece of paper. The paper didn't feel like it had been ripped from a common school notebook, it felt almost like fabric. The disc felt heavy despite its small size. What was it made of? I sat down at the dining room table and carefully examined the object. There were no markings or design engraved on it. I did find a small nick on the edge right above the latch.


I picked up the paper and carefully unfolded it. It had some letters printed on it, but not from ordinary ball point pen. It was printed into the fabric. The letters were in Chinese. I took a picture with my cellphone and tried a Google search. The results translated to say contact. There was a set of numbers under the Chinese characters that appeared to be a phone number. My fingers ached to try the number to see what would happen, but I hesitated. Instead I called Mr. Davis and left a message on his voicemail that I had found a locket in his mothers coat and would be happy to arrange a time to return it to him.


I placed the paper back inside the disc and slipped it into a zip-lock bag. I put the bag back in the coat pocket and then carefully folded the coat over my chair. My cellphone beeped with a text message from Mr. Davis. He would meet me at the library at 10 am. tomorrow morning. I messaged him back that would be fine and then put my cellphone on the charger. I locked my doors and then headed to bed.


As I snuggled into the covers, I wondered what the phone number was for. Where had the disc came from? How did old Mrs. Davis come to own it? It was hard to think that the lady had purchased the coat second hand and not known it was there.


That night my dreams were filled with visions of spies meeting in exotic places, covert messages exchanged in secret locations, a woman ducking into an alleyway to avoid authorities. In each scene, a woman was wearing the red coat looking elegant enough to stand out, but could blend into a crowd to disappear into the sunset, making you think that you had never really seen her at all.


The next morning I checked, several times to make sure I had the coat and plastic bag. All the other boxes of donated items were once again neatly stacked in the back seat. I had a million questions swirling through my mind to ask Mr. Davis as I carefully drove to the library.


I unlocked the front doors and switched on the lights. I set my purse under my desk and stashed my lunch in my mini fridge. I started to hang the red coat next to my all purpose black coat on the back of my office door, but it did not seem right. I folded it over the back of my desk chair, touching the pocket to make sure the bag was safely inside.


A few trips outside to take the boxes from my car to the basement and I was ready to start my work day. A few regulars were greeted by name as they came in and took their normal spots. A couple high school students came in for research help. The mommy and me play group came in at 9 am. My assistant came in at 9:30, I put her in charge of cleanup from the play group as I went back to my office to tidy it up, suddenly feeling nervous about the meeting.


I hastily swiped a bit of lip gloss and smoothed down my hair. I was wishing I had a lint roller when there was a discreet knock on my office door. I opened it up and forgot how to breath at the sight of the devastatingly handsome man that stood before me. I did not hear a word that he said, but I realized I was standing there grinning like a fool blocking his way.


I shook my head to wake myself up and gestured Mr. Davis inside my now suddenly cramped office. I walked behind my chair and lifted the coat, reached my hand into the pocket and promptly dropped the plastic bag! With a gasp, I dropped to my knees and frantically felt for the bag.


“Can I help you?” Came the baritone voice from above my position of my hands and knees on the floor.


“I found it, sorry.” I said as my hand finally grasped the slippery plastic bag. A hand came into view to help me stand up. The electric spark shot up my arm and a smile crossed my face as our eyes met.


I extended my hand that held the plastic bag to him. He took it from me and slid it into his inside jacket pocket.


“I wanted to ask you…...” I never finished my question as he gently placed one finger over my lips.


“Shh. I know, but not now dear.”


Those were the last words I remember hearing.


I awoke the next morning in my own bed, feeling very refreshed but somewhat confused. The day before came rushing back to me. I remember driving to work, putting the boxes away and then….nothing. I checked my cellphone to see that it was almost 8 am. I was due at the library at 9! A quick shower and a I headed to work.


My assistant Sarah, looked up from reading the newspaper at the library front desk. “What are you doing here? Your text said your flight was leaving at noon. Did you leave something here? Enjoy your vacation! Thanks for letting me have the extra hours while you take the rest of the week off!”


“Uh, yes I left my jacket here.” I said quickly trying to hide my confusion.


Once in my office I quietly closed the door and slumped down at my desk. What happened yesterday? I never take vacations. I hardly ever take days off! My jacket was indeed still on the hook where I had hung it up the day before. I took it down and an envelope was sticking out from the pocket. I opened it to find a handwritten letter with two cashiers checks.


The note simply said “Sorry” with the letter “D” signed with a flourish. I had flash vision of sky blue eyes. The check was made out to the Homeless shelter for $25,000 and the other was made out to me, for $50,000!


My cellphone beeped in my pocket with reminder to leave for the airport. Reservations for a flight to Hawaii. I scrolled through my other messages to see hotel reservation confirmations and a copy of my text to Sarah. There was also a thank you from the director of the shelter for the early drop off of the clothing boxes. I remembered that I had snapped a picture of the note from inside the disc. It was gone, along with my recent search history.


I drove back home in a daze, not sure what to do. My cat greeted me as usual, his food and water freshly filled. More confused than ever, I walked inside and saw the red coat draped over the back of my rocking chair in the corner of my living room.


I gently stroked the fine wool fabric. What was going on?


“I know you have questions. I will do my best to answer them on our flight.” Came the baritone voice that had haunted my dreams last night.


I whirled around to see the handsome Mr. Davis standing in the doorway to my bedroom. A leather garment bag slung over his shoulder, a briefcase in one hand and MY suitcase in his other.


I just stood there; lost. He walked over to me, set down my suitcase at my feet and helped me put on the red coat. He handed me the suitcase and guided me out the door, to a waiting limousine.


After we were settled in, he got a bottle of water out of the mini fridge and handed it over to me.


“Where shall we begin?”

February 04, 2020 21:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.