2 comments

Suspense Speculative Fiction

Lightning struck the night sky, illuminating the silhouette of the monstrous tower. On the street below, a pale moon-lit face was upturned to the sprawling edifice. It belonged to a teenaged girl, standing outside the wrought-iron archway in the downpour, clutching her small valise white-knuckled. Sodden from head to toe, her hat was limp and soggy against her wet hair and face. Streams of water ran down her coat, dripping down the coattails, mixing with the mud. The girl stood still, her face fixed with an odd look, as one who is lost in thought. Suddenly coming to, she blinked rapidly, looked down at her suitcase, and pushed open the gate. The grinding iron let out a shrill scream. She strode across the twilit courtyard laden with orchid and lilac flower-bushes, fruit trees, and stone figures cast with a lunar glow. Reaching the grand double doors, the girl adjusted her wilted hat, sighed, and walked inside. 

The deserted lobby was expansive and luxurious, rich velvet lounge chairs and divans placed about, a fire raging inside a stone hearth. The girl located the concierge, snoring at his desk. 

“Pardon me?” She said awkwardly, pitching her voice louder than intended. The man awoke with a start, mumbling apologies. He was middle aged, with mousy brown hair slicked back, large ears protruding from his long skull, and a narrow hooked nose. Adjusting his round spectacles, he glanced disapprovingly at the girl, whose coat was dripping water onto the plush carpet. 

“My greatest apologies, madam, I must have dozed off.” 

“Not a problem.” The girl reached into her coat pocket and brought out a handful of crumpled bank notes. “I need to rent a room, if I can.” Her voice cracked slightly at the last word. She set the money on the desk. 

The man shot her a curious look, then reached for a massive leather-bound leger. Opening it, he flipped through the yellowing pages crammed with names and room numbers to the near end, where only half the page had been filled. Sorting through the damp money gingerly, his eyebrows raised in surprise. 

“Well, miss, you have enough for about three month’s rent.”

“Splendid.”

“We require all funds straight away.”

“Yes.”

“I have a furnished flat available with a kitchen, bed, and bath. It features a fully fun-”

The girl cut him off abruptly. “I’ll take it.”

He took out a pen and dipped it in ink, its tip hovering above the blank line. “Your name?” He asked.

“Nancy Irene Silverman.”

The name was inscribed on the line with a flourish. 

“Flat 237. Your key, madam.”

She took it.

He cleared his throat. “Welcome to Limmeridge Tower, miss.”

So Nancy Silverman came to stay at flat 237.


~Two~


Nancy never left her flat, paying the bellboy to bring her groceries to the door. Her morning rituals were steadfast in their monotony. She would rise with the morning sun, relieved from the horrific nightmares that haunted her sleep. She then would sink into the cream-couloured divan and face the window, which overlooked the country road which led to the tower, and stare blankly out of it. People were sparse on the dusty road, as the tower was tucked into the countryside, and that road which led up to it, was so alone, so, so lonesome and in such solitude. Nancy would gaze fixedly at it, finding that the sight of the road and the trees all around and the dark shadows that invaded it, made her eyes well up with inexplicable tears. Thus her days would go, staring out the window with tears rolling down her colourless face, a thought evading her mind, an explanation on the tip of her tongue. 

She was sitting on the divan as usual on the third week, and it was around dusk when, staring slack-jawed out the window in her usual hypnotised state, motion startled her. She had stared at the road below for three hours without seeing any passerbys, so she was jolted by the sight. The sun had almost set, forcing her to squint to make out the lonely figure that was standing on the road below. It was an unnaturally tall, thin man in a black hat and coat, standing with his feet firmly planted, waving slowly toward the direction of her window, his cheeks lifted into an uncannily wide smile, his eyebrows raised and lips peeled back to reveal large teeth. His raised hand waved slowly back and forth, a strange wave, beckoning her, making Nancy’s blood run cold. She leapt up from the divan, and with trembling hands drew the curtains abruptly. Her heart was beating savagely. She looked crazily about the room, her eyes catching on the flat door…unlocked! A small scream came out of her throat as she dashed toward it, tripping on the leg of her bed, stumbling to the ground. She leaped up maniacally and ripped to the door. Reaching it, she grabbed hold of the bolt, her hands shaking so violently she couldn't lock it, freezing sweat was dripping down her back, and the doorknob began turning ever so slowly from out in the hall, she screamed…firmly grasped the bolt, and turned the lock. 

Everything was silent except for her ragged breaths. She stared at the doorknob. It was still. She backed away slowly from the door. Bursting into tears, she turned and fell sobbing, facedown, into her bed. Lifting her head up, she looked toward the veiled window.

She awoke the next morning with her mind made up firmly. She was going to leave. She slid out of bed and began to cram her things into her valise. As Nancy was closing the lid, a piece of paper slipped out and floated down to the floor. She bent, picked it up. An unstamped train return ticket. Her mind went blank. She stared at it. Her eyes filled with tears. She knew what this was…think just a second more, Nancy, you’ll realise what it is…why you’re here…

Nancy felt a presence behind her, a cold breath on her neck. She stood. Turned her head slowly, not wanting to know what was behind her, but she knew, she knew she knew, she’d known all along. Known what, exactly? Behind her was the man, his evil smile glowing in the dim light of her bedroom. He towered over her, his pale, angular face tilted down to look at her, his hand not waving now, but reaching out toward her, palm open, offering her his hand. Nancy tried to scream but no sound escaped her lips. She turned and ran out the door, down the hallway, down the stairs, through the lobby, people were staring at her, she was sprinting with all her might. She burst out the door, through the courtyard, under the archway, running, running, down the road, sobbing, running. Half a mile down the road she turned, gasping for air. She had lost him! Joy, o joy! She slowed, walking now. Tears of relief rolled down her cheeks. She started to laugh, quietly at first, but soon it turned into a roaring laugh. Oh, yes! Joy! Joy! A carriage rolled by, slowing down beside her. A fat, beady eyed woman leaned out of the window. 

“Slow down, Roger!” She yelled to the driver. “Are you quite alright, girl?”

Nancy turned toward the carriage. What a silly woman, silly! Crazy! “Alright?” She laughed again. “I’m splendid! Glorious!” 

The woman stared quizzically at the girl, then pointed a jewelled finger at her. “Darling, you must be careful walking on this road by yourself!” She exclaimed passionately. “You know, a girl was just murdered on this road only a few weeks ago!” The woman bent down from the carriage window closer to the girl. “She was about your age, murdered by a gang of brutes! Horrible, I tell you, horrible. You know they found her body right outside the gate of an apartment tower…wicked I tell you!” The woman settled back into her seat, shaking her head and murmuring to herself. The carriage picked up speed and passed Nancy.

She kept walking, walking, walking. The carriage had rolled out of sight. The sky began to brighten as the sun rose with morning. The air smelled sweet. Now she understood everything, everything. Nancy smiled as the tall, smiling man stepped out right in front of her from the roadside brush. Why had she run? She loved this man, was grateful for him. He stretched out his hand for her to take. Her mind cleared finally, and she forgave the thugs back on the road, knowing that the man would come for all of them one day, just as he did with everybody. She looked into his beaming face, which was no longer frightening but beautiful, and she met his eyes and took his ha

~



June 01, 2022 16:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
17:18 Jun 02, 2022

Hi Louise, this was an amazing read!! I was really blown away because it was so good. To think that this is your first story here on Reedsy is amazing!! I can't wait to read your next story. I loved this one, and welcome to Reedsy!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keya J.
04:24 Jun 03, 2022

This was an incredible piece, Louise! I liked how the writing was molded into a literary fiction with everything so neatly described. It was fast paced yet enough to pass on the tension to the readers. I agree with Daniel, of how amazing this first story of yours was (tbh, I can see this as a winner). Can't wait to read the upcoming masterpieces!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.