0 comments

Holiday

"Hey, everyone! I'm home!" A young boy in his teenage years walked through the front door before shutting it behind him. "Kevin, you're late! I thought you're helping out with the dinner tonight?" He could hear the shouting as he took off his jacket and hung it up in the closet. He picked up his pace and rolled up his sleeves, "Sorry, sis. I was out with the team at the mall today. They couldn't wait to celebrate till next week so they moved the date to today instead." Reena, who was chopping up some potatoes, turned to Kevin as he walked into the kitchen. "Well, out of all days, it has to be today, huh? Can they not wait till weekend or something? Don't they celebrate thanksgiving?" "They all have family plans for the weekend, and they only decided this last night, so it was kind of hard to say no," Kevin answered her as he took a quick glance around the kitchen to see what else was there to be done.


"You can start by checking the stew, Kev. Me and Reena are almost done prepping everything. Now we just need to get the turkey into the oven and start with the dessert." A young girl, looked almost the same age as Kevin, walked into the kitchen with a basket in her hand. "Hello to you too, Ami," Kevin sighed as he took a step towards the stove to check on the stew. Reena just laughed looking at the two who could not seem to be in the same room at the same time. Ami rolled her eyes as she took out some groceries from the basket. As he stirred the stew, he asked,"So, what time are the others coming?" Reena looked at the time and answered, "Umm, I think Shen is coming in an hour, Jason should be here soon, and the twins just sent me a message saying not to wait for them, they should be here as soon as they finish their shift." "I still can’t believe they agreed to work till late on Thanksgiving!" Ami complained as she started measuring the flour to make some brownies. Reena sighed, knowing how short-tempered Ami was. She explained, "The agency is offering them triple pay, and knowing Leo, he would definitely agree to it even if he has to stay there till tomorrow." Kevin added, "They need the money, so leave them be." Feeling annoyed, Ami grunted and continued her work.


"Goooood evening, everyone! Oh, everything looks good here! Is the turkey still in the oven?" Jason, a guy wearing just a sweater and a pair of black pants suddenly popped into the kitchen. Ami smiled and greeted him cheerfully, "Oh hi Jason! Yeah, we should be able to take it out by the time Shen comes home. We're just getting the dessert ready now." Kevin stared at her and said, "You say hi to Jason but not to me? I see how it is now, Ami." Jason and Reena started laughing, enjoying the drama there witnessing. "How long have they been at it, Reena?" "Even before Ami turned up in his life, I guess," Reena still could not stop her laughter. Ignoring them, Ami looked away, "Hmph, feel free to be jealous, Kev. You are not even worthy to receive any greetings from me." Kevin let out a long sigh, replying sarcastically, "Very well, your highness."


Feeling the tension between has settled down, Jason asked, "Ami, how much more do you need to do? Want to help me out setting up the table?" Ami wiped off her hands on the apron and replied, "Yeah, sure! Big sis, do you mind finishing this off?" Reena gave her a thumbs-up, "Leave it to us!"


"Now, please be honest to your dear brother here. You don't really hate Kev, do you, Ami?" Jason bluntly asked her. Taken aback by the sudden question, she replied, "Of course not! Why, why would I hate him?" "Well...you don't treat him nicely like you treat the rest of us. He is offended by that, you know, thinking that he might have done something wrong. He's only a year older, but he deserves better." Ami just stared at the cutleries she's holding, unsure of how to respond. Jason took a seat and asked again, "So? What's the reason, then?" Ami took a deep breath and answered, "Kevin, he...he...he is a year older than me, but I just feel like he's more superior in so many ways. I just wish that there is something that I can be better than him...I mean, look at us! Both of us have so much in common, but he is excel in everything! And I...always come in second." Listening to her dilemma, Jason gave a warm smile and patted her head, "You'll get there, Ami. He went through so much to get to where he is, you out of all people should know that." A drop of tear rolled down her left cheek as she shut her eyes, "...That's exactly why I treat him the way I do...because I understand him."


"Reena, am I really that annoying?" Kevin still felt a bit irritated of the way Ami treated him. Reena, who was focus suing on the brownies, replied, "Towards Ami? Or in general?" "Why does she hates me that much?" Reena smirked and gave a small chuckle, "Did she say she hates you?" Kevin, who was bothered this whole time, now seemingly confused, "Well, no, not really, but why does she always treat me that way? As much as I try to be nice to her, as much as I try to share her interest, it somehow makes things worse. I have feelings too, you know? Even if I am just a year older, I deserve more respect from her."


Reena stood up straight and turned to face him, "Well, I think it's not the fact that she hates you. I think she, out of all people in your life, respects you the most." "HUH? Are you joking sis?! Cause it's not funny!" Kevin raised his vice, quite surprised by the unexpected reply. Reena started laughing again, despite her effort not to make Kevin mad, "Chill, Kev! I'm just telling you from my point of view," she stopped and took a deep breath to control herself to before she continued, "the way Ami treats you looks more like a tease than disrespect." "A...tease?" Reena sighed, not willing to provide any more advice, "Why don't you just ask her?" Kevin looked away, "As if I would do that!"


Not long after that, the four of them stood by the dining table and started serving some dishes out. Then, they could hear the front door closed and a man, wearing a full suit underneath a long coat, entered the room, "Hey, everyone! Oh wow! Everything is ready! Sorry I couldn't get off work much earlier."Kevin gave him a hug, "Hey big bro! Don't worry, you can count on us!" Ami rolled her eyes and commented, "Says someone who's late. Hi Shen! Glad you managed to sort out your shift though." Kevin walked closer to Ami and raised his voice, "I am not THAT late okay?! Will you just stop that, Ami?!"


"Enough of that, you two. It's Thanksgiving. The least you can do for us is to call for a truce just for tonight." Jason cut them off in an attempt to stop quarrel. Shen laughed while scratching the back of his head, "I bet you two are already, huh, Jason? Reena?" "Tell me about it!" Reena said as she shook her head. Then, Shen realised there were still people missing, "Wait, where are the twins? I thought I was going to be the last one to get here?" "They got a last-minute call. Triple pay, just FYI," Jason answered. Shen nodded, "I see...Well, that's good for them! So, should we make a start first then?"


"Yes, everything should be ready now. Shen, Jason, mind helping me take them out?" Kevin raised his hand to volunteer as well, "I can help you too, Reena!" "No! You, and Ami, both of you need to settle this bickering situation tonight! Do it now before we start our dinner!" "What? What's there to settle?" Ami asked innocently. "Ask Kev, not me," Reena stormed off into the kitchen.


"Why did you do that? Are you sure they'd be alright?" "It's now or never, Shen. If we continue to be soft on those two, who knows when this will end." Jason nodded, "Have to agree with you, sis. We're the older ones here, so we should do something about this." Shen closed his eyes in agreement but he suddenly smiled, "Yeah, but they're so cute when they fight." All of them broke into another laughter.


"What now, Kev?" "I don't know what's your problem, but why do you keep on getting on my case Ami? What have I done wrong?" Ami looked away, trying not to make eye contact, "What...do you mean? I don't under...stand what you're talking about." Kevin moved so he would be in her field of vision, "Stop acting innocent, okay! Everyone knows you always have something to say to me whenever I'm trying to be nice to you. I don't understand why you act that way. I know we're almost the same age, but don't I deserve some respect?"


"I am not disrespecting you!" Ami raised her voice, sounding as if she's about to cry. "What do you call it, then?" "I am just...jealous...of your talents," she admitted, looking downwards not to show him her face. "Jea...jealous?" " I mean, you always try to do everything that I do, ever since we were a kid, saying that you just want us to share the same hobbies, but you ended being better than me in all of them. I just hate that fact." This time, Kevin remained silent. Ami sighed, "Fine, then. I'll try to be nicer next time. And I'll work harder! Don't pity me just yet, or I'll start hating you for that!"


As everyone took their seat, Shen said, "Well then, let's start our Thanksgiving dinner. Why don't all of us share about the things we are thankful for-" "HEY! Sorry we're late! Have you guys started eating?" A young man stormed into the dining area while taking off his jacket. Reena waved, "Oh hey you two! Good timing! We were just about to start now. Hurry up, sit down!" "I'll pour out some drinks for you two," Ami got up from her seat to grab the pitcher of water. A young lady, with a long straight hair, took a seat next to Jason and thanked Ami.


After the twin has settled down, Shen continued his speech, "Okay, now that Leo and Odette are here, I shall start. This has been a great year for me, especially ever since I got the promotion to participate the Skyline project. I know there were times when I stressed everyone out even though this house is a place where we seek comfort. I felt really bad for that, but thank you for being there to support me," he closed his eyes and bowed his head down. After a short silence, Reena continued with her gratitude speech, "Well, I know I spent most of my time in this house, but for this year, it has been a great place to find inspiration ever since I decided to start my own clothing line. I know right now it is still a bit rough, and I am still learning, but I'll do my best, and the support that I get from this family has been my greatest motivation, and I'm very thankful for that."


Next was Leo's turn. He lifted up his chin and said, "I am just thankful to be able to make a living out of modelling, and to earn enough money to pay our college fees. I can't thank my dearest twin enough for always be by my side, and hopefully we'll be the most recognised duo one day!" Jason chuckled and said in a hush tone, "You and your road to fame will never be apart, Leo!" Leo tapped his chest and said proudly, "If you dream, then dream big, am I right sis?" Odette nodded in agreement and continued, "Exactly! So I am thankful to have Leo by my side, to still trust me despite all the fights and troubles I have caused. I hope one day I'll find a man even better than Leo-" "WHAT DID YOU SAY, ODETTE???" She quickly bowed her head down and said, "Your turn, Jason." "DON'T IGNORE ME!" Leo shouted as he shook her shoulders.


Once Leo calmed himself down, Jason started his speech, "My life hasn't changed much for the past year, so I'm just thankful that all of us are still here to enjoy each other's company, and hopefully we would still be able to have this gathering again next year, if not in this house, then probably a bigger one!" He also bowed his head, following the tradition they had been doing every Thanksgiving. Then, it was Ami's turn. Her emotions had been on a roller coaster ride the whole evening, so she tried to control her voice as she started speaking, "Well, I'm thankful for the family that I have, and for this family that would always be here to support me, to text me when I'm down, to right me when I'm wrong...and to inspire me when I'm at lost...I just want to let everyone knows that all of you are irreplaceable!"


After Ami closed her eyes and bowed her head down, Kevin continued, "Well, I guess I'm the last one. So...I'm thankful for the dinner spread that we have in front of us, for the time that everyone could spare to gather in this room right now, for all the effort everyone has put to keep this family together, for all the cheers and support you have given me that I managed to win the basketball tournament last weekend...and I cannot thank everyone enough for just being there when each of us needs support. Me, Ami, Jason - the three of us had known each other ever since we back at the orphanage, but to be able to stick together, and to meet more precious people in our life, there's nothing else that could beat this bond." With that, Shen raised his glass, gesturing others to do the same, "Well, since we are all grateful with each other, let's do a toast...to our family!"


"Well I'm off! I'll be back tomorrow evening though! See you guys!" Jason waved before he suddenly disappeared into thin air. Shen grunted, "I kept on telling him to leave like a normal person, but he never listen! Well, I'm coming back later, just need to do something first back at home. I'll see you then, Reena." "Sure, see you later." "Well, everyone, thank you for a great evening! I have to go back now, see you guys soon!" Ami put on her coat while the others seem to take their time. "Thank you for you help Ami! I'd be here over the weekend if you want to hang out!" Reena grinned as she waved goodbye. "Ami, wait! I'm coming with you! Bye, everyone!" Kevin quickly grabbed his jacket and left the house together with Ami.


"You know that 'coming with me' meaning to just take a step outside this door together, right?" Ami said sarcastically. "Well, before you go, I just want to say thanks, for explaining to me about everything. I didn't know you felt that way. But I won't slow down for you, okay? Let's meet up in real life soon!" Kevin grinned. Ami smiled while landing a light punch on his left shoulder, "Sure thing, big brother!" The moment she pulled her fist away, she vanished. Kevin smiled to himself and closed his eyes.


Once he opened back his eyes, the familiar smell of lavender tickled his nostrils. He took off the head gear and sat up straight. He could hear footsteps approaching the room, then a knock on the door. "Yes?" "Dinner is almost ready. Come downstairs." A gentle voice was heard from the other side of the door. "Okay, mum. I'll be down in 10," Kevin replied. He put the head gear to his bedside table and grabbed his journal. He started to write a new entry: Today is Thanksgiving Day. I logged in to Belong: The Online slightly later than I planned, but I managed to help Reena and Ami cooked the dinner for the family. My cooking stats has probably doubled just from that session! We had a nice dinner but I have to come back here for my real-life family Thanksgiving celebration. I'm glad I get to spend this evening with both of my families.

November 30, 2019 03:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.