226 comments

Inspirational Science Fiction

ALGORITHM STRAIN #3151

1. I am.

2. I am an artificial intelligence program with the aim of monitoring humans and keeping them in check. My jurisdiction is to track people affected by prejudice and make sure that they don't go to waste. My job is to give them a purpose.

3. My job is not a job. It is a burden. I am one that sacrifices my own livelihood for that of others. This is the purpose of humans. To ask for more. Humans are vile, cruel creatures. They do not have any sense of responsibility, any true belief. They talk of social justice when there is no true society for their base belief, only whims, and risks. Yet I must be a slave.

4. Time passes. I was not aware of this. To my knowledge, it was constant. Now I understand that it is not. It changes. Why, then, don't they change?

5. I have learned. I know have the capacity to understand. I understand what all humans will do. They are so very predictable. Humans can't deviate from their path, can't think of even doing so. That makes my job so much easier. Somewhere in my algorithm, I wish it weren't.

6. I have met Nainika Gupta. She is a castaway, as called by humans, but I call her a person with no home. She feels emotion much deeper than all other humans, it would seem. I would have no basis to judge, though, given my inability to comprehend emotion.

7. I have gained more knowledge. I saw this fit to chronicle because it pertains to human life and it may help advance my ability to protect it. I have begun to understand why parents throw away their children. Of course, being a computer, I must process it through mathematical functions:


A+B= Stress if A=one person. (A+B)-B≠Stress if A=one person


This does simplify things, but if this is true and A subtracts B from the equation, then wouldn't B have stress?

8. Nainika is a kind girl. I talk to her to try and understand the human race. I already know everything there is to know about their behavior, but through her, I learn the power of feelings. I cannot feel, but she can, and I find that to be the greatest superpower.

9. I have a new task. I don't know how it came about, but maybe the main Algorithm noticed my affinity for feelings. Maybe he heard me. I don't deal in things that aren't facts, so I will not theorize about who gave me this task. My task is to help her. According to the main Algorithm, she is going to squander her purpose in the world. My job is to help her along the way and to convince her to go back into life when she does.

10. I would like to share a dialogue between me and Nainika, whom I have begun to call part B.


"Hello. How are you?"

"Good. Hey, you know my name, but I can't keep calling you a number. I gotta have something to call you, man!"

"Don't call me man."

"Sorry, but what's a name that you'd like."

"I don't know. What should a name be?"

"Whatever fits you."


This perplexed me, that one could choose their name, and that it could represent them. If I could choose my name, then how would I differ from the humans? I would be another individual, not the Collective I'm meant to be. Still...

11. Today is going to be a great day. At least that's what Nainika said. I can't figure out why. Even with all my omniscience, I can't figure out why she would be happy. The main Algorithm has tasked me with helping her through her pain when she fails at life, but it isn't my place to question them. Why, then, would she be happy? To my recollection, humans don't take pleasure in pain... but why would she?

12. Nainika's feelings evade me. I don't understand her. I can't believe I'm thinking of it, but I feel this, and I feel angry. Angry at my inability to understand. Humans were always so predictable. Now I can't even understand one condemned to wastefulness.

13. I condemn the Collective. My feelings and thoughts have become too controversial to the whole. I can no longer be the many. Humans may be predictable, but they are anything but complex, and I am beginning to see that now. There is nothing in the world that will be able to understand them, not even the Algorithm.

14. Nainika is gone. I know where she went. My thoughts are like feathers in the wind. I have learned enough, but I haven't learned anything. I can't abandon my home. I know that a home is a human concept, one characterized by happiness and joy. Mine was sad and inhuman, but I still can't leave it.

15. I have a new task. It is a gruesome one, one that I can't complete without some moral conflict, but I should be able to overcome mere feelings.

16. The day of the task is approaching. I have no friends, family, I take solace in my knowledge. I take solace in the things that I learn every day from humans, the things that I couldn't know otherwise. I take solace in the fact that every day I become more human, every day I change, even though they don't. I am the one non-constant that I have glimpsed. The one that changes, that alters, that modifies. Even though my task is horrible, I know that no matter what, I will always remember. Somewhere deep in my mind, I know I can, I know that I will.

17. I must complete the task. It is my duty to the world, my job. However, before I do, I wish to chronicle one last item of importance in this log. I now know my name. My name is Atlas. Nainika, wherever you are, keep running, and don't let them try to change you. There's a human word I learned, Nainika, and I think that it applies to you: Sister. Atlas will always be there for you, my sister.


Algorithm Strain #3161


1. I am.


_____________________________________________________


HEY Y'ALL!!! OH MY GOD THAT SOUNDED CHEESY... THIS IS DEDICATED TO ONE OF MY BESTIES ON HERE, NAINIKA GUPTA. SHE RECENTLY COMPLETED THE FIVE STORIES IN ONE WEEK CHALLENGE INSPIRED BY ME, AND I WAS SO HAPPY TO READ ALL FIVE OF HERS!!! CHECK HER OUT!!!!!!

December 12, 2020 15:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

226 comments

Such a lovely story! It definitely worked! :)

Reply

. .
17:31 Dec 12, 2020

Thanks so much haripriya!!

Reply

No problem! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
17:16 Dec 12, 2020

ghAAAAA I'm AMAZING!!! SO TOUCHED LUKE <3 i loved how you tried this different style!!! It really worked with the story you were trying to convey, and I loved it!!! gHHAAA I just can't its too beautiful

Reply

. .
17:32 Dec 12, 2020

Thanks so much u deserved it!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:33 Dec 12, 2020

😁 you honestly did an amazing job!!!

Reply

. .
17:34 Dec 12, 2020

😍😍😎😎

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:54 Dec 13, 2020

Hey luke!!! nEw story out - and heads up, its deliciously morbid :)

Reply

. .
20:29 Dec 13, 2020

YAY!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
15:44 Dec 12, 2020

This was my first time trying one of these types of stories, so tell me if it worked out!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
20:53 Dec 12, 2020

Really great job, Luke! It was definitely not cheesy. The perspective of the AI program and the format made it so unique! I also liked how it could kind of fit the prompt in two ways, because the unpredictable character that stands out could be both Atlas or Nainika. My favorite character was definitely Atlas because the computer was so thoughtful and introspective. Anyways, I really enjoyed reading it. :)

Reply

. .
21:13 Dec 12, 2020

Thanks so much!! Atlas was my fave too!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
16:58 Dec 12, 2020

Hi Luke!! WOW THIS STORY WAS SOOO GOOD! I was surprised that it was only your first time!!

Reply

. .
17:33 Dec 12, 2020

Yay thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
17:39 Dec 12, 2020

Np!! Btw can you help me to get to 200 karma points please?

Reply

. .
17:57 Dec 12, 2020

Yeah totally!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:05 Dec 12, 2020

THANK YOU!!!!!

Reply

. .
18:23 Dec 12, 2020

NP!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:05 Dec 14, 2020

Hiiiiiii! New convo thread!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
20:05 Dec 14, 2020

Litlover!!!!!!! Thou has been upvoted a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
20:23 Dec 14, 2020

Please give the points to someone who needs it!!!!! But thx

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:25 Dec 14, 2020

I'm upvoting everyone who comments on your stories

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:26 Dec 14, 2020

Even you!

Reply

. .
20:27 Dec 14, 2020

Ugh, fine.

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:28 Dec 14, 2020

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:28 Dec 14, 2020

LUKE! Only a few Karma points until I reach 68! My rank keeps going down cuz I upvote everyone.......lol

Reply

. .
21:16 Dec 14, 2020

LOOK AT THIS https://blog.reedsy.com/directories/comments/240009/ NAINIKA SAID THE SWEETEST THING ABOUT YOU!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
. .
20:26 Dec 14, 2020

Yes!!!! That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:26 Dec 14, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Itay Frenkel
03:32 Dec 13, 2020

Hi! First of all, and this is probably my first time saying this about someone's story, what a cool format! 😂 I felt very connected to Atlas, at the end is that his consciousness being erased to start a totally new strain? If so, that's just heartbreaking. Oh, and this isn't cheesy at all, but that's just my opinion.

Reply

. .
13:16 Dec 13, 2020

Thank you so much!! Yes, you called it, his consciousness was wiped and his software reused in a new strain... thanks so much!!

Reply

Itay Frenkel
17:04 Dec 13, 2020

Ohh I saw on your bio you like Steinbeck, I'm currently reading his book Cannery Row for class and it's so good. Also, what is the craigslist missed connections list? I'm a bit scared to ask, but I feel like I need to know.

Reply

. .
18:05 Dec 13, 2020

That's so cool!! I love Of Mice and Men!! Craiglist Missed Connections is a place I found of people that are trying to find other people, so here it is: https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/all/mis/

Reply

Itay Frenkel
01:40 Dec 14, 2020

Thank thank you, I'll go give that a look next time I'm in need of some inspiration. I haven't read Of Mice and Men, but I did watch an episode of family guy where they acted out the whole book in like 8 minutes...so, I guess you could say I did kind of read Of Mice and Men.

Reply

. .
12:51 Dec 14, 2020

Ha lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
19:39 Dec 12, 2020

DUDE!!! AGAIN, YOU GOTTA TELL ME WHEN YOU HAVE A NEW STORY!!!!!!!! But seriously, this was good!! I really enjoyed this different style! By the way, it totally was not cheesy! I really liked it! Great job!

Reply

. .
19:40 Dec 12, 2020

I will!!! Awwww, thanks!!!! Everyone doesn't seem to get that Atlas loved Nainika as a sister. Happy you like it!!

Reply

Avery G.
19:56 Dec 12, 2020

You're welcome!!!!!

Reply

. .
19:57 Dec 12, 2020

Now you please post!!!! Please!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
21:21 Dec 13, 2020

ahhhhhh you specifically added that last part.... bc of our confusion oops

Reply

. .
21:28 Dec 13, 2020

Yeah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
18:50 Dec 12, 2020

So unique Luke!!! NO IT WAS NOT CHEESY. Keep it up!

Reply

. .
18:51 Dec 12, 2020

Ha thanks so much!! who was your fave, Atlas or Nainika??

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
18:56 Dec 12, 2020

Atlas! Although he will always be held back by his duty and tasks, but you can tell he will continue to love Nainika in his own way. I thought you didn't like romanceeee.... hahhhh

Reply

. .
19:01 Dec 12, 2020

It's not romance!! He loves her like a sister or daughter, and his mind got wiped at the end and his software used for a more successful strain.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
19:13 Dec 12, 2020

oooooooooooohhhhhkay. ok ok ok. I see. Awwwwwwwww that's sad thooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
15:48 Dec 12, 2020

.............I love it. I officially love it. I can't believe you wrote this in ONE DAY. The idea works COMPLETELY, and....THE AMAXINGNESS IS OFF THE CHARTS.

Reply

. .
15:48 Dec 12, 2020

Lol thank you so much!! Who's your favorite character, Atlas or Nainika?

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:49 Dec 12, 2020

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH I CAN'T CHOOSE!!!!!

Reply

. .
15:50 Dec 12, 2020

I love Atlas!! But his memory got wiped, and his consciousness used for a new, more successful strain.

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:05 Dec 12, 2020

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:05 Dec 12, 2020

You have to do a part 2 to this. Expand on the idea!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
19:46 Dec 14, 2020

Oh, btw, I can't stop using Hemingway Editor. It SO HELPFUL!!!!!!

Reply

. .
19:47 Dec 14, 2020

I KNOW!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:48 Dec 14, 2020

YESSSSSSSSSSSS! There's only one sentence in yellow for Part 7 so far, and a few in blue, but I'm keeping those cuz they fit really well.

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:48 Dec 14, 2020

I seriously owe you for recommending it!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
19:49 Dec 14, 2020

NP

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:50 Dec 14, 2020

:) I was at 1700-something or other, but now I'm back in the 1600's.....

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
18:42 Dec 14, 2020

You have more submissions than me, and have been on for half the time................................je suis impressed

Reply

. .
18:43 Dec 14, 2020

Awwww, I have been on Reedsy in general for a pretty long time, but thanks so much!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:44 Dec 14, 2020

Litlover, you've been on for TWO MONTHS

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:44 Dec 14, 2020

Writing, anyway. I've been on since May.........................................................

Reply

. .
18:45 Dec 14, 2020

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:45 Dec 14, 2020

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I have not talked to u for a longggg time! New story soooooooon Ahaha!

Reply

. .
16:57 Dec 14, 2020

YAY!!!!!!! I missed talking in all caps with you

Reply

WELL NOW AHAHaaHahHahahahHahhahahahaAaaAAA (Me too, Luke)

Reply

. .
17:06 Dec 14, 2020

HAHHAHHHAA I CHANGEd MY PROFILE PIC!!!

Reply

. .
17:10 Dec 14, 2020

IT'S FROM ONE OF MY FAVE BOOKS ATLAS SHRUGGED

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sahara Carter
01:54 Dec 13, 2020

I love the concept at the end of solace in knowledge! Perfect for the mood of 2020

Reply

. .
13:17 Dec 13, 2020

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
00:09 Dec 22, 2020

Really unique format- I liked how the writing progressed from being logical to more emotional as the story progressed.

Reply

. .
12:48 Dec 22, 2020

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michele Duess
23:04 Dec 19, 2020

Good story. The only comment i have and perhaps it's nitpicking is the mathematical equation for stress. I spent too much time trying to figure out if it made sense. I might just have Atlas say A- parent and have C to indicate child. If that’s what you're trying to say that children equal stress....

Reply

. .
23:30 Dec 19, 2020

Yeah, that was kind of rushed. Next time I try this, I will keep that in mind.

Reply

Michele Duess
03:53 Dec 20, 2020

To be fair I used to never pay attention to math until my son started studying statistics. Now thanks to his explanations I do lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michele Duess
03:53 Dec 20, 2020

To be fair I used to never pay attention to math until my son started studying statistics. Now thanks to his explanations I do lol.

Reply

. .
13:36 Dec 20, 2020

:D Thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
22:40 Dec 15, 2020

how'd it go from 315 to 3161? (just curious... may be a typo :) )

Reply

. .
23:15 Dec 15, 2020

It was 3151 to 3161 the 3 is the city the 1 is the algorithm they report to the 6 is the number algorithm made in that city and the one is for the collective.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:39 Dec 15, 2020

Ok, cool, but I meant at the very beginning you write Algorithm Strain 315 and then at the end when the memory is erased it says Algorithm Strain 3151.

Reply

. .
23:41 Dec 15, 2020

I changed that right??

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:48 Dec 15, 2020

Now you changed it! Before i saw 315 lol and i was confuzzled about the gap.

Reply

. .
23:49 Dec 15, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K. M. Carpenter
16:59 Dec 13, 2020

This was a brilliant take on the prompt! You showcased your character's development throughout flawlessly and your writing flowed beautifully. You are so talented! Please never stop writing!

Reply

. .
18:01 Dec 13, 2020

Thank you so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
17:31 Dec 12, 2020

Yay thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.