0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Speculative

(This story is set in earth’s twin planet GAIA2 which is 800 years younger and is evolving.)

I am Tito a young solidly built man a citizen of Rubi Isle my traditional home. My father Soz who had recently passed away had left me a lot of money and I could live a luxurious life. People knew my father had been a worker in a coal mine on the island of Crizal. And somehow the popular belief was that while working there he had found a pot of gold which had made him rich. While my father had been alive both my mother and I would ask about the pot he had preserved and he would say he had kept it for sentimental reasons. He would say nothing further. Having little else to do I resolved to get to the truth of our prosperity. I boarded a ship and landing in Crizal camped in an inn near the port.

I went and met the chief of the mine but the man said he had never heard of a Soz who had worked in the mine. However he said “Contact the old woman Whizma. She is a witch, an astronomer and soothe sayer and knew many people. She is old but her memory is sound. She lives in her house on the shore near the giant banyan tree.”

I met Whizma and said “Granny, I’m the son of Soz who had worked in the coal mine here.”

She said “Yes. I knew him. You resemble your father. How is he?”

“He has gone. I came to hear about him from those who knew him and are around.”

Whizma said “I can tell you what I know.” She paused and said “What would be my reward for sharing information about the remote past?”

I pressed some gold coins into her hand and said “I’ll give you an equal amount when you complete the narration.”

Whizma counted the money and seemed content. She said “Sit on that wicker stool for a few moments. It is midday and I want to have my lunch.”

She was soon ready and said “I had heard Soz was from Rubi Isle and had come here in search of a job in the coal mine. It seems he was quite strong and demonstrated his skill in work and was hired. He proved his worth and received large salary incentives and therefore soon became moneyed. Naturally there were local women wanting to latch on to him. However he had his eye on the gypsy woman Luzma who was a good looker and he set her up in his quarter. The two had a cook and lived well.”

Whizma paused and said “I should now tell you about the then owner of the mine. It was Crux whose father had discovered the mine. Crux had been married to Gemma a few years but had produced no children. Gypsy Luzma’s mother practised medicine and she was summoned to Crux’s home for consultation. She heard what they had to say and after questioning and examining Gemma, she supplied medicines to help Gemma produce a child. The treatment was successful and Gemma conceived. However in the end she produced a female child with a wide cleft lip or hare lip as it is commonly known. The parents were disappointed as the deformity stared in the face. The child couldn’t take its feed properly and died after a month.”

When she paused I asked “Grandma, how does all this link with my father Soz?”

“Hear me out. Crux and Gemma again consulted the apothecary. It seems she said that such deformities happen when the male hasn’t been able to complete the job for full growth of the fetus. That in such cases immediate further augmentation would be needed: Another male must be found to complete the formation of the fetus. Crux apparently feIt it was easier said than done. The apothecary said that with his wealth he could find someone to supplement him. Crux approached me for help and said he would pay handsomely. By this time Soz had come to me seeking advice about getting back to his provenance. He said Luzma with whom he lived wasn’t agreeable to move with him. Seeing the opportunity I touched upon Crux’s need. I said Crux would compensate sumptuously.” She paused and said “I’m thirsty. Let me drink some water.”

She rose and went to the kitchen. A street vendor was now shouting offering water melons for sale and I bought a couple of large melons which the seller sliced and offered. Whizma now joined and we partook of the fruit together.

Whizma then asked “Where was I?”

I said “You were mentioning about telling Soz about Crux’s need.”

“Yes. Soz was attracted seeing the money to be made and said he would consult Luzma and come back. However Luzma was dead set against it. It seems she said the proposal was atrocious and she would never be a party to help finish what was started by another couple. He told me that Crux had also spoken to him and had sought his help. Anyone would find it embarrassing to wait and then repeat the operation but money was the incentive! Soz soon went to Crux’s residence. The apothecary was also there and counselled that Soz should finish immediately what was started and finished by Crux.”

I said “Granny, then what happened?”

She said “It seems it wasn’t going to be a one-time attempt. It had to be repeated at least 10 times as advised by the apothecary. Soz fully complied. In due course Gemma was pregnant. The male child was born without any blemish. Crux was satisfied and Soz received a bonus besides. Having made so much money, Soz wanted to return to Rubi Isle but Luzma though very angry with Soz said he shouldn’t go. She approached Crux and got him to persuade Soz to stay on. Soz was exempted from work but was receiving his pay.”

I said “Granny I’m happy you have every detail.”

Whizma said “I can’t forget Soz. When he attempted to escape from Crizal, he was prevented by Luzma’s influence. To punish him for making the attempt, she had a security detail around their house but she didn’t know she would fall ill at which time she would have to be in her mother’s place for care and treatment. That is when Soz fled to Rubi Isle.”

“Is that the end?”

“You must ask Luzma for more details. She is sick and is in bed.” She gave me directions to reach Luzma’s home. I left after paying Whizma what I had promised.

I reached Luzma’s house and after introducing myself to a caretaker was allowed to talk to Luzma. When she saw me she appeared very angry and said “Your father was a traitor towards me: He was the one who would do anything for money. I wasn’t sorry to hear he had gone. Normally I would’ve refused to see you but the memory of your father made me to see how you looked. Exactly the same!”

“Madam I came only to learn the truth about what my father did.”

“True he ran away from me as I wasn’t willing to leave Crizal. That is what Whizma would’ve told you. She doesn’t know the whole truth. We had a servant who also was a mine worker. He had found a pot in the digs which he silently carried to our house for safe custody. That pot contained pure gold dust. Our legend has it that once upon a time gold could be collected from the Crizal river near a grotto. Obviously someone had collected it and buried it for some reason. The servant feared danger to his life if others came to know of his find. Soz promised him that he would go with him and market the gold in Rubi Isle where no questions would be raised about how they had got it. He said they would return once the transaction was completed. I believed him. Neither he nor the servant returned.”

I asked “What was the servant’s name?”

“It was Vroom.”

I said formally “I’ll try to locate a Vroom after I go back to RI.” After a pause I said “Madam, I’ve one more question before I go. Did you see Gemma’s baby? Whom did it resemble?”

“I refused to see the baby.”

“Where is Gemma now?”

“She isn’t in Crizal. I didn’t care to find out where she had gone.”

I thanked her and took my leave.

Just to console Luzma I had said that I would look for a Vroom. I knew father had come back with Vroom.  Vroom very soon after had visited a brothel and had been killed there after a quarrel. I knew my father must have sold the gold dust and added the proceeds to his wealth. I was content that I had found out the truth about the pot which had been in our place.

END

August 17, 2021 14:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.