Happy Ending

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with a life-changing event.... view prompt

0 comments

General

My feet were aching and my purse was looking a lot lighter than it had earlier on in the evening. But I wanted this night to last forever. Not just because it was my birthday, or that it was the first time i had gone on a wild night out since my ex and i broke up 6 months earlier. It was because I was finally free to be me! I had spent most of my last relationship running around and bending over backwards, just to make sure my man felt happy and loved.

Fast forward eleven years later...

It felt so good to let my hair hang loose, to dance the night away with my besties. I laughed, I cried , I sang (loudly and out of tune), But I felt so alive for the first time in a long time. Being single really suited me.

Then you came along...

Just as I had made up my mind that I could get used to being on my own. You walked into the crowded room, your best mate by your side as you both made your way towards where myself and my friends happened to be. The very moment I eyes met, I knew there was something about you. I could see that you felt something familiar about me too!

Part of me wanted to hightail it outta there! And I very nearly did! But the softness in your eyes, The way you smiled at me lured me in. You scared me! You really did! And it wasn't in an intimidating way. You asked me if I would like to dance, and automatically you clasped my hand as i reached out to touch yours. It didn't matter that you were awkward in your movements. I just loved being there with you in that moment...

My best friends giggled as I tried to sculpt the shape of a male organ using only my teeth, out of a carrot. I almost choked as i felt my own urge to laugh at my rather drunkard attempt to create my masterpiece! And soon it was onto the next hens night event, draping each other in toilet paper , to come up with the best wedding dress design. All the while my Aunt Freida videoed our drunken efforts with as much seriousness as she could muster, considering how ridiculous we all must have looked!

I was so thankful that we had decided to have the hen's night a few nights before the "Big Day". I had never felt so sick in my entire life! And oh-so dreadfully hungover!

Madame Louise Adonna surveyed us girls with such precision and focus. We were all trying our best to stay absolutely still and quiet. After all , Madame Adonn's was considered one of the best bridal hairstylists in the land! And it was considered an honour and a privilege to throw yourself at the mercy of such an "Artiste".

"Darlink! You look so bee-utiful!" Madame Adonna gushed at the bride to me, namely "me.

She was right, I looked utterly amazing! Tears of joy and gratitude rolled down my naked cheeks, making me ever so thankful that I had left my skin bare of makeup.I couldn't afford to have a smeared , panda-face on my special day!

My mother cradled my freshly made up face in her hands. Tears glistened at the corners of her eyes as she beamed with pride at her only daughter, about to become a blushing bride. Handing me "something blue" , a beautiful sapphire- gem pendant on a delicate gold chain. A family heir-loom that dated back to my great-great-great-grandmother Rosa in the 1800's. Of which I would wear with pride. Unfortunately the aching absence of my dearly departed father, would be felt by many, myself included only having passed all of two weeks ago. He would have looked magnificent in his double breasted suit, tailored by his old friend and very talented suit maker, Gustoff Omarni the third. In his stead, My Uncle Joseph would do me the honour of walking me down the aisle.

Taking one last look at the woman i had become, all dressed in her finery , A ballgown styled dress that was both romantic and regal. My spectacularly styled hair completing my fairy tale princess look. And of course my shoes had to have a bit of sparkle to really finish things off! A faint waft of Old spice, My dad's favorite cologne invaded my nostrils as I headed out of my dressing room to my awaiting carriage, an actual horse and carriage! I knew he was with me, in spirit.

We had chosen a quaint little church much loved by my grandparents when they first moved to our hometown over 60 years ago. My grandfather helped maintain the church and its sprawling grounds , whilst my grandmother played the organ and sang along with the church choir every sunday morning. Of course they had both since passed. But their energies and their love were still felt in the church they had adopted as their own.

Marcus stood awaiting his bride to be. Shifting his feet from side to side as he tried to contain his nerves. He felt uncomfortable and out of place in a suit. He also didn't much like standing up in front of crowds. But Marcus wanted this day to be special for the love of his life. And if that meant wearing a suit and being out of his comfort zone for the duration of their wedding ceremony, then he would do just that!

As the horse-driven carriage sidled up to the church doors, I gazed over at my bridesmaids seated across from me. No words were spoken , as I didn't want to risk getting all emotional and teary. Ruining my face and possibly my dress with all of that gushy emotional stuff! My smile said it all. How honored I was to have my besties who had been with me when Marcus and I first set eyes on each other, here with me now. The day I would become a "Mrs".

It felt like a dream even though it was all very real. I had been heartbroken, and not contemplating having another relationship for a very long time. I had convinced myself that being single would be okay. But love has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. And I for one, am glad that you found me!









June 05, 2020 02:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.