An Anticipation of dream

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story about a person waiting for an answer to a question.... view prompt

7 comments

General

Waiting for something in life is a novel experience. Particularly, answer to a question of which will change your life upside down. We wait for the moment and hoping for the answer! Kamali, a girl from a lower-middle-class background, wanted to achieve her dreams. Her dream is to build! Yes, to build actual buildings. Home to the homeless is her dream. God blessed her with total supportive parents and a lovely sister. Poor Kamali was born in a family where girls could not go to other countries or states to study. Because they live in a fearful country. The land of gold, India! She got talent, the energy to study, and win. Unfortunately, it's the land of women murderers, child abduction, and many. Once the motherland of Jhansi Rani, now it's the land of demons waiting to eat her. She conquered north to south of India, traveled anywhere with no fear. Now, fear is the only basic emotion of Kamali's parents. Their fear is certain and so righteous. One morning, she got an offer to study abroad in an outstanding college with a scholarship. It's time to get her the passport. Sadly, no. Thank god! It was her sister who saw the letter the first. Mowni, is younger than her sister. But God blessed her with a thoughtful mind. She never wanted to study in a place called foreign. That's her way of doing things, but she never failed to support her sister." Kamali! Kamali! I told ya, it's a superb day for you. For god's sake you should try astrology once.", says Mowni. Kamali is cleaning her bed, both their beds, because Mowni never likes to do it. Kamali while folding her bedspread says, "What's the matter with you, early this morning. You will wake them up! Keep it low." Kamali wants her parents happy always, but the world is not so sweet for them. Its Sunday, only day their parents can get to sleep for one more hour. Poor parents working so hard to win the rat race, the race they will never win. The life of a lower-middle-class family is full of struggle, status, love, goals, money, and many more. Their life is so twisted and complicated. "I guess it's your offer letter from _ that college, God I forget its name."

 "It's Tufts University”, corrected Kamali. "Gimme that Mowni." It took a year to prepare for the entrance exam, she was so happy that she cleared the exam. That time she didn't know the accepting marks for that college. It was her friend Gaurav who insisted on her to prepare for the exam. They were friends in college, studied together. He inspired her to join that college, a very energetic, loyal friend of hers. They both gave their exam as they always do. A supporting friend gives us the strength of an elephant to overcome the obstacle. "It's my dream__ you know to do my masters in this college", says Kamali, shivering. Part of her wanted to take this opportunity, a part of her does not. She could hear her mom coming and hid the cover in her drawer immediately. Her mom Janaki, calm as a breeze, raised in the same middle-class family. It is not her fault. She wants her kids to live safely, be happy, and well. She excepts her daughters to become a teacher, like her. Her childhood was not so good. She lived in a compact house and sharing her toys, dress, food, books, and her house with her four siblings. She is the middle child, being this bridge between her matured and baby brothers and sisters.

Janaki never wanted anything for herself. A selfless, genuine soul. Janaki is the best mom in the world, like any other mother she wanted her children to live in a safe place under her watch. Being a mother is a full-time achievement, sad they never get a Guinness record. Mother is the word of selflessness. They never buy things for them, who watches only favorite shows of the family members. Janaki is truly a living angel. "Good morning girls! I'll make you breakfast.". She went down the hallway to start her daily routine. "I wish, I am not selected.", says Kamali. "Are you a nut? You prepared for a year and what makes you say this? You are so pathetic; I wish I got your brain. My bad!", says irritated Mowni. Kamali knew her dad never wanted it. He never allowed his kids to go study in a foreign college with foreign culture and people. As a father, he always kept his kids safe and happy. He bought them everything they want. Never said no, not even once. He managed everything within the budget, he took care of his entire family with the salary he got. He works so hard, tireless, restless and so heavy, not worrying about his age or health. Shankar avoided watching movies on the big screen, vacations, except for devotional places. He believed in God that he will help him get through his obstacles. He is so optimistic about his life, unluckily not with the world. He is afraid that the world is not safe for girls to live. Eventually, he is correct. The world is not any longer safe for the kids to live. He protected them from demons. Kamali believed she will be safe outside. She may be correct. Maybe not. She tried to explain to her dad this before the entrance exam, he told her to wait and will see later. So, it is the perfect time to ask him, to give one perfect shot. Kamali gathered all her courage and went downstairs with the letter. This is the last thing she has to do. Ask him or forget the letter.

Kamali has always been this respectful daughter, never asked video games, makeover. Unlike Mowni, she never asks "the unwanted". But this time she will ask "the most wanted" or "the unwanted". She saw the sofa empty, which meant her dad is sleeping yet. She decided to tell her mom. Kamali gulps air and started, "Momma....". "Good morning ladies, I hope you all slept well", interrupted by her dad. "Yeah dad, Good morning!", smiled Mowni. "Oh god Mowni dear, you started talking again... I mean in your sleep. Why is that so?", asked Shankar. "I don't know dad, maybe awful dreams, I guess...." replied with a dull sound. "What's the matter Kamali, you were saying something", asked Janaki as she served coffee to them. "No mom, it’s nothing", shivered Kamali. "I bet she got some news, definitely an exciting one.", smiled Mowni. She might be the little one in the house, but the smartest. She knows the perfect time to reveal things. "What's that Kamali dear, you can share what's on your mind, you know, that right?", asked her dad. Kamali shrieks at Mowni. Her hands are wet now, cooled with sweat. She wanted to ask her dad badly. She hates disappointment. "Dad, I received the offer letter.... to study", Kamali spoke softly. She now knew that this day will be bad, terrible. Her parents were in shock, her mother stopped cooking and watched Shankar's face. It's like she is waiting for him to say the words first. Shankar stopped drinking his coffee. He got confused, annoyed, but is very careful in choosing his words. "Oh, dear! We talked about this", says Shankar, irritated. "No, dad! I think I do not want to waste this opportunity. This could change my life completely", interrupted Kamali. "Yes, it could change your life dear", said angry dad. "Okay __ wait, I'll discuss with your mom". Shankar calmed his voice down. He saw Janaki's eyes, and she nodded. This question of Kamali will change her life and her family's. Kamali knew they are risks out there, but the risks are worth taking. There is nothing important in our life than chasing our dreams. We hope that Shankar will allow Kamali to study abroad. We wish Kamala to chase her dreams, be safe, and build the nation she wanted.

July 10, 2020 17:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Sofie Barnet E.K
06:00 Jul 16, 2020

Well written and the descriptions are very good. I liked mowni's character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:53 Jul 11, 2020

இந்த கதையில் என்னுடைய பெயர் இடம்பெற்றுள்ளது, அதனால் இது ஆகச் சிறந்ததாக இருக்க முடியும் 😂👍👍 இந்த பதிவு அருமையாக இருக்கிறது.

Reply

Abarnaa P
03:30 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you so much 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jaysre Pandian
17:05 Jul 10, 2020

Thoughtful😍....We expect more contents from u....keep going 👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
ADHI DAS
16:26 Jul 26, 2020

Good job 👌🏼

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scott Doran
18:44 Jul 16, 2020

I liked the narrative and the story. I especially liked the ending, which did not indulge a pat deus ex machina or silly cliffhanger. It appears from some of your writing and phraseology that either English is not your first language or that you wrote purposefully to effect the grammatical transliteration of the articulations from Hindi, Bengali (edit:. or Tamil!) into English (in both speech and thought) of an Indian family. That is to say, much of the writing appeared to intentionally deviate from standard English grammar. Some of...

Reply

Abarnaa P
04:48 Jul 17, 2020

Thank you. Yeah you are correct and will definitely try to improve.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.