0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

I am sure you would have read about the notorious Diego gang in the newspaper and seen the media stir it caused. I am Diego who has reformed after a 3 year prison sentence. When told of Diego you will recall gangster Red Beard as part of my gang. He had been convicted to die by hanging but his lawyer expertly got the judgment reversed. I had turned approver and was let off with a mere 3 year sentence but Red Beard received a jail sentence for 10 years besides a fine. Both of us had been in love with Tara and we had made her the repository of our ill-gotten money. After my release from prison I had wanted to marry her but she had been diagnosed with cancer and had passed away a few months after my release. I had money and settled to invest in a charity working for the poor. I live in my own large house and also own a car.

As time passed the date of release of Red Beard was nearing. I had kept my contact with the prison guards and they informed me that Red Beard had been released. I now knew I had to face him. He had it seems sworn that he would kill me as soon as he was released. I had my house covered with CCTV in every room. I had two ex-convicts who had been gunmen to keep watch in my vicinity. But none knew how Red Beard looked a decade on.

I consulted a Pundit who knew astrology. I told him “Tell me about the future. My fear is about my life. Somebody who has a score to settle with me will be coming to kill me. Am I clear?”

Pundit took off his thick spectacles and searchingly peered at me. Then he said “It isn’t what I say. I’m only reading to you what the stars say. They don’t lie.” He said “You’re going to live long. But be careful about the happenings around New Moon day which approaches.”

I paid the pundit his fee and felt a bit more confident. But inwardly I was afraid of being killed. I who had once killed police marksmen becoming afraid of life was surprising to me. I got myself an unlicensed hand gun with ammunition through an arms smuggler for my safety. But ultimately I had turned a great believer in God. I prayed “Great God, forgive my sins which I had committed due to wrong association.”

This was the time when the author Ruth called me. She said she was writing a novel based on records of my trial. She came home to talk to me. She was nearly 40 with grey touching her hair. I felt I had a confessor to ease my conscience and agreed to tell her my story. I told her about the impending release of Red Beard and that I would not be spared by him.

She came to me a few times and I my refrain was that Red Beard would not spare me.

She said ”I feel sorry for you. Hope for the best. You’ve been a gangster but I find you’re a good man within.”

 On New Moon day one of my informers tipped me off that a certain thin bald man with white beard had gone past studying my house a few times. I knew Red Beard was thin but his beard could have gone white and he might have even gone bald. That evening as I was saying my prayers there was a knock on the door and who do you think came? It was Red Beard! Or I should say white beard as it was!

He said “Diego, I haven’t brought any weapon. I haven’t come to hunt you down. I wanted a little help from you”

I said “I’m now a reformed character. I consider my past dead. I won’t participate in any crime. I’ve to tell you that this house and every room thereof  is under 24x7 CCTV watch. Since I got to know of your release I’ve armed myself. See the gun in my pocket. Tell me what you need.”

“A simple help. An old man, a doyen of my family is ill and is in hospital about 300 km away. I want to go there. Let me borrow your car. I’ll return it as soon as possible.”

“First let me check if you’re armed.”

He got up and I frisked him confirming that he was indeed unarmed.  I said “Okay. Let me take you to the garage.”

I picked up the car keys and said “Turn left and take the stairs. The garage is on the ground floor.”

I followed him down as I was unsure about his motives. It was now dark and I switched on the lights. I showed him the car and gave him the keys. I said “I hope you can handle this car.”

He said “Sure.” Then he said “You know gangster Felix. I had killed his sister who had wanted to expose me to police. A little bird told me that Felix is seeking to kill me. I want to travel alone incognito see my old family friend and return to settle old scores.”

What he said sent a shiver down my spine. I assumed he was planning to settle scores with me as well!

He said “I came to you as I trust you though you turned approver and I was nearly hanged. I have nothing against you. I’ll come back return your car and deal with Felix.”

I said “Are you willing to risk your life again.”

“I’m not afraid.”

I opened the garage doors and he started the car. In a moment he switched it off and said “Just in case of need I would like to carry a long handled spanner.”

I said ”There are two in the lower shelf. You can take one.”

I now thought he was looking for a weapon to kill me and stood ready to use my gun. In the faint light he reached into the shelf and screamed. “Diego that snake has bitten me.”

I saw the cobra sliding out of the shelf and took a shot at it. Its tail flickered and it lay dead. In a moment Red Beard was also dead. There were elaborate enquiries as Red Beard and I were ex-convicts. The dead snake was witness and the post mortem established the cause of death as due to snake venom.

Ruth got first- hand information from me about the happenings. She said “I’ve almost completed my novel.”

I said “I hope it will be a success.”

I was single and I liked her. A thought would pass through my mind about proposing to her – a widow. May be one day I will.

END

May 08, 2023 07:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.