Unbroken traditions

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write a story where a meal or dinner goes horribly wrong.... view prompt

3 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Asian American

I ran, breathlessly, to take the best seat at the decrepit dinner table before my brother could get to it.

“Afshaneh, let the men eat first,” my mother briskly sneered at me, aggressively nodding her head, and I dejectedly made my way into the kitchen.

Friday dinners at my uncle’s house was the happening hotspot for heated debates and political discussions. Differing opinions would be thrown from one end of the table to another while simultaneously stuffing a handful of Basmati rice soaked in Korma daal hurryingly in their mouths.  But it was always the men at the table, always the men of the family in discourse while the women were at the stove, in the stuffy kitchen flipping one piquant golden Bolani after another to ensure they were served piping hot to the hot-headed disputants. It was the unspoken rule. An unbroken tradition. I was the server. Bringing the dishes from the kitchen and placing them in front of my uncles, I listened in on their conversations.

That argument is not based on any factual evidence. The statistics show otherwise. It was clearly a case of vindictive litigation so it isn’t even worth discussing. That is the politically incorrect way of saying it. Uncle’s wrong again. I would think to myself. But I always kept my opinions to myself. Always. We weren’t expected to participate in their deliberation. Until that day.

My uncle was jokingly rating his wife’s cooked dishes and I blurted out, “how can you be the judge when you don’t even know how to cook?” to receive frightened and hidden yet simpering smiles from my aunts and a visibly perplexed or rather ambivalent look from my uncle.

“What did you say?” the awakened menace in his voice prevailed over the unwavering throatiness of it this time.

He seemed startled by my out-of-place input; angry and maybe mortified too.

Dare I repeat myself? I wondered for what seemed like an eon while the others watched in silence, none touching their plates anymore. No one wanted to make a sound in the terror of the deafening silence that hung in the air while my uncle stared piercingly at me. He had never been challenged like this before- the eldest of all his siblings, the sole breadwinner of his house - his say was the first and last.

The crispy Copan kababs were getting cold and limp as no hands flew to grab them before they were gone unlike usual, the stove was left on, unlike the usual rush to turn it off at the earliest to save gas, as none of my aunts moved a muscle; everyone was petrified for me. I had done the unthinkable. Questioned the question-maker. Challenged the undefeated. Disputed the uncontended. 

“I just asked how can you judge something you are not an expert at?”

My uncle blinked his heavy-lidded, umber brown eyes twice, slightly twisting his head toward his left shoulder, in disbelief.

“Aren’t you getting a little too smart for your age, little girl?”

“So, you’re saying I’m smart?” I replied almost instantaneously and regretted almost instantaneously after.

Aghast gasps echoed throughout the damp, cramped dining room, one exclamation louder than the other.  

Answering back to your elders was almost as sinister as going out after dark for girls in our locality. If you did either, you were immoral, disobedient and shunned by everyone and their mother. My mother quietly but hurriedly grabbed my arm and pulled me away, whispering hasty, muffled words into my ear but I knew what they were. The usual. The rudimentary. How rude I had been. How much I had shamed her. How I had no manners and how I wouldn’t be allowed to go to the bazar with Razeda later that afternoon. No sooner had my mother rushed me into the kitchen through the huddled hush hush of the other spectators, my younger cousin informed us of my uncle urgently summoning me back into the common room. By this point, a sudden, gnawing dread started weighing me down as I made my way back with the same stony stares insistent on being affixed on my every move. Had I really crossed a line? What if he was furious and never lets me have dinner with the family again? Maybe I shouldn’t have said that. Innumerable thoughts engulfed my mind and none were solutions to the unnerving state of affairs I was about to find myself in.

“Come here, smart girl, have I got some questions for you.”

He didn’t sound entirely angry but you could never tell with him. So inscrutable; one instance he could be serenely phlegmatic and the next, hair-raisingly petrifying. Who was he going to be this time?

“Tell me, now, what do you think of the new driving law that was passed in Saudi?”

“Huh?”

“Give me your opinion, child.”

“I - I think it’s a great law and every girl should be able to do what every boy is able to do everywhere in the world.”

“Do you now?" he averted his glance to his left. "Hashar, move over.” He gently ushered my elder brother up from his seat, whose face was painted with a shade of discernible dubiety.

My uncle sedately signaled me to take his place instead to which I shared my brother’s perplexity but did as I was told.

“Now, I don’t think it’s a good law so, debate with me why you think otherwise.”

As vastly flummoxed as I was, I iterated my points as I had often done with my friends at school. Debating came natural to me. My uncle was unflinchingly composed and listening to every word I said as if he were watching the 9 pm political talk show on Shamshad TV. I couldn’t understand what was happening and visibly, no one else in the room could either. A communal confusion was shared by the family and the debate continued back and forth.

 After a few rounds of humorous contention yet no reasonable resolution reached, the unspoken words were spoken and the unbroken tradition was broken.

I became a regular in the following debates and my opinions were heard loud and clear.

July 02, 2021 19:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Asif Ali
11:06 Oct 11, 2022

Good descriptors of the traditional south-asian household but I felt like the ending should've been a bit more fleshed out with more meaning to it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sandra Wong
18:13 Jul 08, 2021

I really enjoyed this story. I could imagine the dinner, sounds, smells etc from your description. Great ending to the story, I was quite worried for the girl.

Reply

S Mehjabeen
19:11 Jul 08, 2021

Thanks a lot for your comment Sandra. Appreciate you reading my story a lot! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.