0 comments

Funny Adventure Fiction

In a small village, where people live calm, peaceful life, one farmer had a barn. Not big, but not small. He had cows, sheep, horses, chickens and geese, and some other animals, who spend their lives in the same way, as farmer did. Day was going after night, and night after day.

But once happened one situation, that changed this peaceful way of living in the barn. One chicken gave a birth two living beings. As you can understand, they both hatched from eggs. And the thing is, that one of her children were a chicken and another one – goose.

Mother-chicken, only because she was a chicken and was made by creator just for several tasks, she didn’t realize that one of her new-born children was not the one of her kind. She was walking with them, playing and did other stuff, which was appropriate for normal mother.

She gave them names. Her chicken-child was called as Geronimo. Her goose-child was called as Fred. Not really normal names for chicken and goose, but in this barn was certain rules. One of them – all new-born had to have people’s names. Horse, the oldest one, has decided so. Nobody objected.

While both brothers were growing up, they paid attention that animals in the barn were looking on them rather suspicious.

- Mom, why are they looking on us so weirdly? - goose-child Fred asked his mother.

- That’s because you are my sons and I know that most of them paying on what am I doing, because I am the best chicken in the barn, - selfishly replied mother-chicken.

Fred accepted this answer. If his mother says so, then it must be true. Mother never lies.

Once a storm happened and all animals were closed in the barn by farmer. But exactly before the storm, mother-chicken was playing with her sons hide and seek. And while her children were hiding, she was counting in the barn. And when she reached zero and opened her eyes to seek her children, doors into the barn were closed. Fred and Geronimo were left behind the doors. They didn’t realize that something is happening, because they found an excellent place to hide - in the trunk of a farmer's car, under a blanket. They both thought that mother will spend all life, seeking them. In chicken’s life – it could be.  So, they hide and keep waiting while she will be calling, they name.

A strong wind blew, it began to rain and the blanket flew off them. Rain was falling on they faces. They didn’t know what to do.

-       Run, you fool, - screamed Geronimo.

And Geronimo with Fred jump down from farmer’s car and ran to the barn. the rain had not yet fallen for a long time, there was already a lot of water on the ground and huge puddles separated boys from mother. They ran through a small puddle and Geronimo didn’t like it. He new that he can’t swim. But because of his small legs, he was running faster, then Fred.

- Geronimo, wait for me! I can’t run as fast as you, - Fred was shouting to Geronimo.

- I always was faster, then you, - Geronimo mocking Fred.

As Geronimo was faster, he reached first the biggest paddle that was on the ground.  And this was the last barrier before barn. Geronimo began to move progressively through the water, choosing where to step. He was wet, cold and he didn’t like water at all. But Fred didn’t feel the sane, as Geronimo, besides that fact, that they were brothers and had something in common, as they mother was saying. And you know, when you are young and you have a brother, you’re always in contest with him. That is why Fred, when he saw that Geronimo lost his speed in the water, proceeded with the same walking to the barn through the water, living Geronimo behind. He was so happy that first time in his short live he is winning contest against Geronimo, that he didn’t notice, that his legs wasn’t touching the ground and she was swimming on the water. So, he, full of joy and happiness, was first who crossed than paddle and reached the barn.

-       I won! I won! I won! – was shouting Fred.

Then he turned his head behind to see where is Geronimo. It was his moment of triumph and he wanted to taste from the winner's cup fully. Suddenly, he saw that Geronimo, barely gasping for air, was in the middle of paddle. He was drowning.

-       Help! Help! Help! – through water Geronimo was trying to ask for help.

Fred, without wasting a time, ran to help Geronimo. He doesn’t even realize that he could swim. He just jumped in to the paddle, swam to Geronimo and started pushing him to the end of the paddle. Few minutes later Geronimo felt the ground under his feet and run as fast as he can to the bar. When he reached the bar, he shouted: “I won”.

Fred with his big feet came after a few seconds.

-       If I wouldn’t come back after you, you could drown, - desperately said Fred.

-       It doesn’t matter. I won, - Geronimo was laughing.

They both found the hole in the barn’s wall and went in. Mother-chicken was so nervous, that she punished both of them.

Next day, when storm is over, farmer opened the gate into the barn and let animals to go for a walk. Geronimo told mother in all details about how they were managed to reach the barn the day before. But she didn’t believe, when Geronimo told her, that Fred can swim. She was saying that chicken can’t swim, can’t fly, but can run fast.

- I know, mom, - Geronimo started. – Why you can’t see, that we’re just too different. I can run faster and he can swim. I can’t fly and he…

Geronimo looked at Fred. They both never try to fly. Mother told them about that. But also, she said that they can’t swim.

- Fred, - Geronimo started. – Let’s do next. Let’s try to fly through the paddle. Who will reach the other end first, he will be King of the World. Ok?

- You know, Geronimo, that we can’t fly. Mama told you that before, - Fred said with fear.

- I know, I know. But let’s just try for fun. If something happens, you can easily swim to the other end, - he said.

Fred took a minute to thing. He always afraid new games from Geronimo, they cause a lot of trouble.

-       Come on. You’re a chicken, not a cow, - Geronimo teased Fred.

Fred looked on his mom and she nodded her head.

-       Ok, - Fred said. – But I warn you, I will not swim after you again.

-       Deal, - Geronimo said with the smile. – Start on three.

Both took two steps back to take a running start. Geronimo started counting.

-       One, two, three!

Fred and Geronimo started running and flap they wings. And as they reached paddle, Fred took off into the sky, and Geronimo, flapping his wings, ran into the water. One was flying and the second nearly drowned.

So, that how it happens. Despite someone saying, goose can’t be a chicken. How hard he believes in it. Creator never make mistakes.  

February 01, 2023 11:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.