0 comments

General

Mike awoke to the sound of the doorbell. He looked at the clock and tried to make sense of things.

“What the… My God! It’s two-thirty.”

Then the knocking began. He went to investigate, hoping Sarah, his wife, wasn’t disturbed.

The banging was insistent. Mike peered out and saw his brother Griff standing under the porch light.

“Hey Bro! Let me in! I’m cold.”

Mike opened the door. “What do you want, Griff? Come back tomorrow. Everyone’s asleep.”

“C’mon Mike. I’m freezing. I need a place to crash.”

Mike let him in. Griff made a show of how cold he was.

“Pipe down, Griff. People are sleeping.”

They walked into the living room. Griff tossed his backpack and collapsed onto the sofa.

“Make yourself at home, Griff. What’s it been, two years?”

“At least.”

“Understandable considering I told you not to come back.”

“Yeah. What was that about, anyway?”

“Let me see. The drinking? The toking? Oh, I remember. You were parading around in your birthday suit, in front of Charlotte.”

“That was an accident. I told you, I didn’t know she was home.”

“Right…”

Mike saw Sarah peek around the kitchen door. He waved her off.

“So what brings you around tonight? You on the lam?”

That moment’s hesitation said it all.

“What’d you do?”

“It wasn’t me, Mike.”

“Never is…”

“I was with some friends. But they pulled a job before I got with them.”

“Uh huh… So why run?”

“You know how it is. Once you have a record, no one will cut you a break.”

“You know, Griff, there’s a thing called a learning curve.”

“Cut the crap, Mike. You messed up too. I remember some of… what you call ‘misadventures’.”

“But I learned.”

“Uncle Griffy!”

Mike and Griff looked up to see Charlotte, Mike’s eight year old. She ran to Griff and gave him a hug.

“Hi sweetheart! How’ve you been?”

“I’m fine.”

“You’ve gotten so big!”

“I have?”

“Charlotte, baby?”

“Yes, Daddy?”

“You know you should be in bed.”

“But I wanted to say hello…”

“Okay. You said hello. Now go back to sleep. You have school tomorrow.”

Charlotte made a pout.

“You know the rules…”

“Okay, Daddy.” She kissed Griff on the cheek. “Bye Uncle Griffy.”

“Bye, Cherry.” Charlotte giggled and ran back to her room. Mike and Griff watched her go. They heard her door close.

“Griff…”

“I get it, Mike. I’ll clear out first thing.”

“When did you sleep last?”

“Seems like days.”

“I’ll get you a blanket.” Mike stood and went to the linen closet. He grabbed a sheet and a blanket from the top shelf and returned.

“I can’t tell you, Mike…”

“Then don’t. When I come out in the morning, I want you gone.” Mike started away.

“Thanks bro. You’re the best.”

Mike turned to Griff. “You need new friends, Griff. Take care of yourself. This gets old.”

Griff looked at Mike. It was hard to read him. Mike interpreted his expression as a mix between ‘yada, yada’ and ‘I hear you bro. I never heard that before.’

“Oh, Mike.”

“What?”

“I have a big favor to ask.”

“Another?”

Griff rummaged in his backpack. He pulled out a plastic bag. Whatever was in it had serious heft.

“Can you babysit this for me? Just a few days.”

“What is it?”

“Just a pistol I got stuck carrying. Don’t worry. It isn’t mine. It would mean a lot to me.”

“Griff…”

“It’s clean, Mike. Nothing to worry about.”

“Let me see it.”

Griff handed him the bag. Mike unwrapped it and without touching the weapon, gave it a quick scan. Someone messed with the serial number.

“You really never learn, do you? So this isn’t yours?”

“Nope.”

“It could have been used by anyone. For anything.”

“You don’t listen. I told you it’s clean.”

Now it was Mike’s turn to stare.

“You don’t have to believe me.”

“Have you ever listened to yourself?”

“You want me to go? Fine. I’ll go.”

Griff grabbed his backpack and stood up. He reached for the pistol. Mike held onto it.

Griff said, “Make up your mind, Mike. What is with you?”

“I would ask you the same thing. Who gave you this? You think they’re a friend? You’re being set up. Respect yourself.”

“They don’t have anything on me. If they pick me up and I don’t have that, I’ll walk. Don’t you get it?”

“Griff, you’re not seventeen anymore. Grow up.”

“You speak to me with such superiority. Look at you.” Griff waved his arms around. “You and your fireplace and white picket fence…”

“I work hard, Griff. I have my family to think of.”

“You care about your family? Aren’t I your family? What about me?”

Mike rolled his eyes. “Yes, Griff. You’re my family too. My little brother. Why don’t you start acting like it?”

Mike saw Sarah by the door. He waved her off again. She left.

“I asked you a favor. Do this and you’ll never see me again. Is that what you want?”

“It’s late Griff. Get some sleep.”

Mike kept the pistol and walked away. Griff watched him go. He flopped onto the sofa and shut his eyes.

When Mike entered the bedroom, Sarah was awake, sitting in the dark. He stowed the pistol in his sock drawer. He got into the bed carefully and then saw Sarah looking at him.

“Don’t worry Sarah. I have it under control.”

“What are you going to do?”

“I said, ‘don’t worry’. He won’t bother us again.”

“But what…”

“What did I say?”

“I don’t want him here.”

“He’ll be gone soon enough.”

“Mike, I…”

Mike got out of the bed and looked out the window. He picked up his phone and dialed.

Griff awoke to red flashing lights coming through the front window. He started swearing as he ran this way and that.

Mike came in and opened the door. Two policemen entered. Griff bolted toward the rear of the house but they grabbed him and cuffed him.

Griff looked at Mike in desperation. “What did you do? How could you? You’re my brother!” He cursed Mike and his family.

Sarah and Charlotte stood in the hall embracing against the draft from the open door. They watched as the officers escorted Griff out.

A third policeman entered and spoke to Mike. “Thanks for the tip. You all okay now?”

“We’ll be fine. Oh, you might want to take this with you. His backpack.”

The cop was surprised at its weight. Their eyes met. “Thank you sir. Will you be willing to testify in court?”

“All I know is, he showed up about 2:30 this morning. He seemed anxious. Haven’t seen him in two years.”

The policeman shook Mike’s hand and left. Mike bolted the door.

“Let’s get some sleep!”

Charlotte ran back to her room. Sarah took Mike’s arm as they returned to the bedroom.


October 03, 2019 22:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.