0 comments

Fiction

“Dude, I’m not going.” I grabbed my laundry basket and walked back to my room. Tony followed closely behind me. “What do you mean you won’t go?” I sat my basket down on my bed, motioning for him to close the door. 

“Did you forget how to understand english or something? Or do they not teach you all that well up there in your little spaceship?” I turned to face him as I started folding clothes. “I’m not going, and you can’t make me. I’m not stepping foot out of this house.”

“We need you. Without y-”

“Without me what?” I tossed my folded clothes into the duct tape covered dresser behind me. “The world will end? We’ll all become extinct?” He threw his arms up in the air exasperatedly. “Yes!” He whisper-yelled. “It will! Everything will burn! Everyone that you have ever known, or loved, or cared about will be gone! Is that what you want?”

“Why do you think I care exactly? I mean sure I wouldn’t be able to read anymore but hey! I’d be dead, I wouldn’t need to read.  I don’t have any connections to anybody on this planet. No friends, no family. Only my stories, and I’m fine with that!” I put the last of my clothes away. I pulled my chair out from my writing desk and sat down. 

“Humans are cruel, this planet is doomed.” I subconsciously  began tracing the random doodles done with a knife all over the desk. “Personally, I’m ready for it to end. There’s too much suffering in this life, too much hate, not to mention overpopulation. Why? Why keep it going? Why not just let it end?” Tony knelt down in front of me, grabbing my hands. “Yes, life can be cruel, but there are good things, and good times too. You just have to know where to look and where to find them. Not everyone is bad. Please Nora, help us.” 

I stood up irritated and began pacing from the door to the barred window across the small room. “You have powers, powers you can’t even begin to imagine.” He moved to where he was sitting on my messy bed.

I ran my fingers through my hair combing it out a bit. “Just...let me just clarify this real fast. Y’all are from another planet and you’re part of some kind of resistance? And you need me to use some made up sounding power that I apparently have because the leaders of your world are evil and trying to kill you and everything else in existence?  Sound bout right?”

“Yes,” He frowned. “Why exactly do y’all think it’s me?” I shake my head. “I don’t have any powers. I’m just a girl trying to pay rent.” Tony flicked my forehead. “There won’t be any rent when they destroy your world.”

“I wanted to stay home, I didn’t want to do anything today.” I mumbled. “I didn’t want to be bothered.” I kicked my chair to roll it back under my desk, causing the wheels to catch on a bit of the stained carpet that was sticking up, almost toppling it. “Why couldn’t y’all just pick some other planet to hide on instead of bringing them to us?”

Tony pushed the beat up old chair the rest of the way in. “It wasn't my decision. Our Leader is the one who commanded it. He wants you to come to the ship. Now."

"I'll hear him out,but that doesn't mean I'm saying yes. I want to be brought straight back afterwards, got it?" I sighed. "But if this turns out to be a joke or some kind of prank I'm shooting all of you."

"Yeah, that's fair. Give me one second.” He dug through the pocket of his hoodie, pulling out a walkie talkie. “Sir?” He pressed the button and spoke into the talkie. “Yes? What is it Tony?” A voice came from the other end.

“She’s agreed to meet with you. Will you let us on board?” Silence. “Yes! Yes! Absolutely please!” The other voice said, surprised. “The door is ready. Proceed when ready.”

“Are you ready Nora?” Tony held his hand out for me to grab it. “Are you ready to step up to the plate and make a difference?” I looked at his all too eager face. I looked at his hand as I slowly placed mine in his. “As ready as I’ll ever be.” I grumbled. “Let's get this over with so I can go to bed.” 

He squeezed my hand gently, almost reassuringly. He pushed the door to the hallway open revealing a white, extremely sterile looking room. “Where are we?” I ask, stepping through the door. “Welcome!” I hear a door slide open on the other end of the room. I watched as a guy that looked to be about in his 50s dressed in a black suit stepped into the room. 

“Please, sit.” He gestured toward a table with two chairs sitting in the middle of the room. I looked back at Tony who nodded and gave my hand one last squeeze before releasing it. “Go on,” He whispered in my ear before giving me a small push forward. “Sit.”

I sat across from the old man. “Hello. Who are you?” He stuck his hand out to shake mine. “I’m the captain of this beautiful ship.” He smiled. “I’m Nora.” I shake his hand. “What is going on exactly? Tony said some really weird shit.” 

“Well,” The old man waved his hand. I looked down in surprise as restraints wrapped around my ankles, then my wrists. “You, Nora, are the missing piece that we need to take over this place. You are the final sacrifice."

"What? What are you talking about? Tony, what is he talking about?" I struggled feeling the blood dripping down my hands and feet as the metal restraints cut into me.

I froze as I heard Tony start laughing behind me. "I'm honestly surprised we even got you to agree to come!" I looked away as he came up next to me. “Look at me Nora.” He grabbed my chin forcing me to look at him. “Do you know why we chose you?” I shook my head.

“Because nobody wants you. You said it yourself you know,” I watched as his face began to change, almost as though it was melting. A hardened, terrifying look replaced the kind one. He gave off an aura that was pure evil. 

“You're a virgin, you have no life, no friends, no family. Nobody to look for you, nobody to call for help. Nobody to suspect anything if you should go missing. It was almost too easy.” He let go of my face, taking a step back. “You are exactly what we have been looking for.” 

He grabbed a black suitcase from the floor next to the table that I hadn’t noticed before. “You might as well get comfortable, gonna be here for a bit.” He smirked and made a small wave with his hand. 

The back of my chair laid back as the bottom extended out, changing the chair into a table. “There’s no point in trying to escape,” He set the case on the table, opening it. “Here, I’ll even put you to sleep, that way you don’t feel us cutting and slicing into you.” 

He pulled a bottle and a syringe out of the case, he stuck the needle into the bottle and drew out the liquid inside, holding it up for me to see.”See?” He set the bottle down. “We can be nice, merciful even.” He winked at me as he pulled my shirt sleeve up. 

I stayed quiet, glaring at him. “Hey now. You made it clear that you don’t care if you live or die. So what’s the problem? Is this not what you wanted? You wanted it to end, remember?” He laughed amused. 

“Stupid human, your all the same. You never know what you truly want. Don’t worry, I didn’t lie for the most part. You really will be helping us, just not in the way advertised.” 

“You are going to help us kill everything and everyone. But fret not, after I put you to sleep you won’t be waking up again.” He leaned down and kissed my forehead. “Sweet dreams in hell.” He whispered in my ear as he slowly stuck the needle in my arm.

“You are a bastard.” I muttered as my consciousness began to fade, and everything became dark.

July 28, 2021 23:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.