4 comments

Coming of Age Adventure Bedtime

Author's Note: Sorry about the ending... I just couldn't help myself XD


Raleigh Furcap was not normal.


Everyone else in the pack was grey or brown. But she was red as the poppies that grew on the side of the Forbidden Path, red as the setting sun in the horizon, red as blood from a fresh kill.


And it was for that very reason as to why Raleigh was shunned by others her age, the last one to eat a meal, left to sleep in the most uncomfortable spots. Just because she was different.


But at least she did have some comfort. Her grandmother, Madeline Furcap, lived on the outskirts of the forest, who Raleigh often visited. When Madeline was old enough she drifted away from her pack and left her past behind, a friendless and lonely past. A past that Raleigh was reliving for her.


Because Raleigh's grandmother was red too.


On one autumn morning Raleigh woke to her mother gently nuzzling her head. "It's too early," muttered Raleigh, noting the dim light outside their cave.


"I wouldn't wake you if it wasn't necessary," her mother insisted, nudging her once more.


Raleigh heard a worried tone in her voice. She rose groggily. "Is something the matter?" she asked.


Her mother nodded. "Your grandmother is ill," she said. "She sent one of the magpies with a message."


Raleigh's eyes widened, her heart clenching with fear. Her grandmother was the oldest wolf she had ever known, and she knew her time would come soon. But she didn't think it would be this soon...


"Not to worry," her mother said gently. "It's only a slight cold, but she craves company. You know she likes you best. Here," she said, turning around and grabbing a basket with her mouth.


Raleigh cocked her head. "Where did you get this?" she asked.


"It was discarded by a human," her mother answered.


"What's in it?"


"Rabbit. Give this to your grandma, alright? And no tasting on the way. And--"


"Don't go on the path, I know," Raleigh said with a small sigh as she took the basket.


"Because...?


"Because there are humans there and humans like to kill wolves," Raleigh repeated in a bored voice.


"Speaking of which, do NOT talk to humans. Remember?"


"Of course."


"That's my girl," her mother said as she nudged her towards the direction of the cave opening. "Off you go. You know grandma doesn't like to wait."


*


Bendis grumbled angrily to herself as she kicked aside a rock, watching it knock into a small flower on the side of the path. She wrapped her cloak tighter around herself and frowned deeply.


Another day. Another failure.


No wolves.


"We're losing money," her father told her that morning as he chopped wood as fast as he could, preparing for the coming winter. "If we don't get more fur for the coats this year we'll go broke. Don't disappoint me."


She sighed in defeat, letting her arms drop to her sides. All day she wandered around the forest, knife in hand, desperate to bring a wolf back to her father.


Her thoughts were interrupted as she heard a rustling sound behind her. She grasped her knife tightly in her hand and spun around. A bush wiggled slightly.


Taking a deep breath she slowly advanced towards it, praying it was what she hoped it was.


*


Raleigh watched the girl with interest. She knew she was closer to the path than she was supposed to be, but the sight fascinated her. She just had to come closer. Despite the many warnings of her parents she had never actually seen a human before.


How could she walk with two legs so perfectly? So steadily?


So... closer...


Oh dear.


The girl suddenly rushed towards the bush where Raleigh was concealed, a knife poised in her hand. With a frightened yelp she jumped from her cover.


"HAH!" the girl shouted. "FOUND ONE!"


Found one what? Raleigh shook off the thought as she ran as fast as she could.


She heard a whooshing sound by her ear and then the noise of metal piercing flesh. She stopped dead in her tracks, shocked, as she dropped her basket.


The girl had thrown the knife at her, barely missing her nose. She stared at the dagger wedged tight in the rabbit meat.


Great.


Before she could try and remove the knife the basket was whisked away in the blink of an eye. She yelped again and turned around wildly. The girl stood in front of her, holding the basket with triumph in her eyes.


*


Bendis couldn't believe her eyes. A red wolf! Not a rusty orange brown, but pure red. She was so beautiful, almost otherworldly.


Her father would be able to charge double--no, triple--for a coat made from her.


She wrinkled her nose as the smell of flesh wafted from the basket. Why on earth would a wolf be carrying a basket of meat? She dismissed the thought as she wrenched her knife from the basket and stared at the wolf, who was eyeing the basket.


Bendis smirked. She would have a bit of fun first.


"I have your basket," she said in a falsely sweet voice. "Come and get it..." she waved it at the wolf as she stepped onto the path, slowly walking down.


"Give it back!" growled the wolf.


Bendis blinked at the wolf.


It could speak.


The freaking wolf could speak.


Bendis cleared her throat. "Right," she said. "Do humanised vocal cords come with the fur?"


Now it was the wolf's turn to look confused. "That basket is for my grandmother," she said defiantly. "Give it back."


Bendis shook her head, feeling slightly dizzy. She was speaking to a wolf. Then a thought came to her mind. "Is your grandmother red too?" she asked.


The wolf hesitated. "Yes... why?" she asked.


"And where does she live?"


"On... um... the other side of the woods, in a cave shaped a bit like a triangle."


Bendis threw the basket back to her. "Go to her. Sorry for taking your basket," she said.


The wolf looked a bit suspicious but took the basket, going into the cover of the trees.


Bendis grinned before running down the path as fast as she could.


Two coats were better than one.


*


Raleigh's legs were shaking as she wove through the trees. She had never been more frightened in her life. Yes, she had been teased and sometimes bitten by the other wolves, but it was hardly anything serious. Nothing that wouldn't upset her for more than a few minutes.


But the girl had tried to kill her.


"Mother's right," mumbled Raleigh as she approached her grandmother's cave. "Humans are cruel."


*


Bendis reached the cave that the wolf had spoken of. Taking a deep breath she approached the opening and poked her head inside. A huge wolf was lying on the ground, her eyes closed. Her fur was a much deeper red than the other wolf's, and it was long too.


Perfect.


Bendis slowly approached it. She stepped back and hitched her breath as the wolf stirred.


"Who's there?" she said without opening her eyes.


Bendis froze. "It's your granddaughter, the Little Red Wolf," she said, trying to make her voice sound lower.


"Come closer."


Bendis took a step forward.


The wolf opened her eyes.


*


Raleigh reached her grandmother's cave, thankfully without seeing any humans. Her grandmother lay curled on the floor, licking her lips. Her eyes lit up when she saw Raleigh.


"Ah, you're here!" she said. "I feel much better now."


"I'm glad to hear it," said Raleigh. She put down the basket. "I brought some rabbit for you." Her eyes drifted to a familiar dagger lying by her grandma.


Her grandma groaned. "Help yourself," she said. "I'm full."




October 17, 2021 04:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Svara Narasiah
04:43 Oct 17, 2021

Right... so this story is so weird, but I enjoy doing fairy tale retellings for some reason. And as for the ending... well... heh... At least Grandma Wolf got a meal!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Master Jack
22:30 Oct 25, 2021

daily voice/video chats and talks about trends, news, science, IT, and more we glad to have you in our conversations too https://discord.gg/XmgFyk6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Claudia Morgan
05:31 Oct 17, 2021

Ah oh my god! it was so good! I love retellings and this was amazing! Well done!

Reply

Svara Narasiah
05:32 Oct 17, 2021

Thank youuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.