Sirius Kuragari: Theoretical Magician

Written in response to: Start your story with a character saying “Listen, …”... view prompt

5 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Warning: Strong language and death.


"Listen....... do you hear that?" Asked Sirius. His apprentice, shook her head. "What're you talking about, Master Sirius? What do you hear?" Asked the apprentice. Sirius smiled. "Why Katherine, that's the sound of faeries." He said, almost giddy with joy. Katherine cocked her head. "Faeries, sir?" she said, questioningly. He nodded. "Faeries, the Fae, whatever you want to call them. I knew they existed, but have never been able to hear them until now. That is, until I invented the process to see them.Just listen to the wind."He said, looking up at the branches of the trees.

"The wind, Sir? I'm not trying to be rude, but you brought me to the middle of the forest to listen to......the wind? That's crazy, even for you." Sirius chuckled. "What's my motto, Katherine?" She sighed. "If it's crazy, live a little crazy." she said, remembering the first time he told her those words.

"Katherine, close your eyes. Take a deep breath in, and hold it." She nodded, and did as he instructed. "Expand your mind. You won't sense them at first, but that's fine. Focus on the wind. You should sense energy in it. Strange, isn't it? Follow one strand of energy, right back to its source."

Katherine gasped for air. When she followed the energy back to its source, she could sense a tiny life form. She opened her eyes. "Master Sirius, you were right. The Fae do exist. You were right. I can't believe how people ridicule you, with all of your breakthroughs in Theoretical Magic." He nodded. "I'm the prince. I could just exile them, but they are reacting to foreign stimuli. They don't understand it, so they make fun of it. Can't particularly say that reaction is productive, but it's a reaction nonetheless, and it's my job to test things for their reaction, as a Theoretical Magician. But my theory for today was proven, so let's head back to the village." He said, gathering his things.

'Should I tell him about the Necronomicon?' Thought Katherine. 'No, he'd get upset, and be disappointed in me. But.... maybe he'll be happy. His cousin died recently, and Sirius could bring him back. And the Wordless Book could give him the power to do that.' She nodded to herself.

'Yes, when we get home, I'll tell him, and he'll forgive me for breaking into his library.' Her thoughts were interrupted by Sirius, touching her shoulder. "Don't forget your wand, Katherine." She took the wand. "Thanks." She said.

"Hey, are you ok? You look like something's on your mind. You can tell me, you know." He said, stepping over a dead tree branch.

Katherine nodded. "I have a surprise for you when we get back to the village." Sirius smiled. I love surprises. Well, good ones, anyway. Can't wait."

Soon they were back at Kuragari Village. "Should I tell the King about your new theory?" Asked Katherine. "No, Father can wait. I'll be ready for the surprise in a moment. Just let me check some things." And with that he went outside, and to his personal library. "Everything seems fine here, now to check the Forbidden books." He said, going downstairs. He looked at the locked shelves of books.

Then he saw a broken lock on one of the shelves. He looked at the list of books supposed to be in this section. He gasped, and dropped his clipboard. The Necronomicon and the Book Without Words were missing. He ran up the stairs. 'The two most dangerous books in the library are gone. Damn it all! Fuck!' He thought to himself, running out of his library, and into his home. When he was inside, he slammed the door shut. "Katherine, the two most dangerous books are missing, and-" He was cut off when she raised her finger in the air to silence him. "I know, Master Sirius. I have something to show you." She pulled out a box, with a ribbon around it. She pulled away the ribbon, and opened the box. Inside was the two books.

"Wait, you broke into my library, took forbidden books, and are regifting them to me? My own books? Do you not see how many things you did wrong there?" She shushed him.

"Calm down, just hear me out. Both of us have lost family recently, right?" He nodded. He remembered the feud some of her family had taken part in. Some of them died. "Well, the Necronomicon could solve that issue. We could bring them back, and anyone else back, as themselves! No zombies, no skeletons!" She said, ecstatic. He shook his head. "First off, that requires dark Void magic, and second off, nobody here is powerful enough to pull that off." He said, reaching for the book. She pulled away. "I'm not finished. The Necronomicon's twin book, the Book Without Words, can give you that power." He shook his head once again.

"But nobody can read that." Katherine smiled.

"I can. I haven't done anything with the Wordless Book yet, because I wanted to do it with you. And the Necronomicon works, I brought several animals back to life, after they've decayed. But.... If you won't.... I'll have to do it myself." She said, adamantly.

"Give me those books, Katherine. You don't know all the bad those books can do." He said, inching towards her. Katherine shook her head. "But you don't know all the good they can do."

Sirius sighed, still inching toward her. "You heart is in the right place, but there is a reason those books are forbidden."

She raised an eyebrow at him. "So why do you own them? If they're so bad?" She taunted. "I wanted the same thing you wanted; to bring back those I loved and lost. My uncle Dao. I scoured the world for those books. I found them, and I realized, that the books shouldn't be messed with. Mortals like us shouldn't use them. So I locked them away. Give me the books, Katherine. It's ok." He said, reaching his hand out. She reached back, only to run around him, putting them in her infinite necklace pouch he made for her. "Oh fuck." He ran after her, only to see her announcing the key to omnipotence, and immortality. People looked, intrigued by her wild statement. Sirius stepped through the crowd, solemn, knowing what he must do. 'Challenging her to a duel isn't fair towards her, but I will do what I must.'

He drew his wand. "Katherine, I hereby challenge you......to a duel." People around them gasped. It had been so long since the last duel had happened, excluding Katherine's recent family duel. Katherine nodded.

"I accept, Master Sirius." People cleared the way for them, making sure to give them plenty of space. Katherine drew her wand. The same wand Sirius made her two years ago. Then the spells flew from the tips of their wands, colliding in a shower of sparks. 'I taught her well. Too well.' He thought to himself, deflecting a curse she shot at him. They fought from close and far. Until Sirius decided to end things, once and for all. He drew a throwing knife, and aimed for her hand. It grazed her hand, causing her to drop her wand. They locked eyes, before he said the curse that would kill her. "Asashi." He whispered. The blue curse flew from his wand, and hit her in the chest. "Good hit, Master Sirius." before collapsing on the ground, dead. He walked up to her, and checked her vitals. "She's.....dead." The King, who nobody thought was watching, walked behind Sirius. "My son won the duel!" And people erupted into cheer. A group of people picked up and covered the body. "Don't cremate her yet. Wait 'til after the day after tomorrow." The people nodded. People picked him up, and carried him up to the castle, and that night, everyone was invited, and they all ate a fine feast, with the best foods. But Sirius wasn't truly there. His thoughts remained with Katherine. 'Those books are going to be destroyed, with Katherine.' He thought to himself. After the feast he went to his library, and knocked over all of the books, shelves, everything in his sight he destroyed. And when everything was knocked down, he burned it down. All the books he amassed over the years. Then, he went to his office, and didn't sleep, didn't even check the ashes that was once a library. For days, he went without sleep. All he did was work.

A week since he burned down his library, and he decided to go outside and check on the ashes. When he arrived, the building was intact, and on the doorstep, was a note. 'It would be a shame if all of these books burned down, love, Iris.' Sirius was intrigued. Who was Iris? And why would they restore the library? Sirius began analyzing the note, for a new theory was in the making. He will meet her, much sooner than anticipated.

November 12, 2021 17:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Robert Houston
23:54 Nov 17, 2021

The story was great. I enjoyed it very much! It left me wanting more. Wonder who Iris is?

Reply

Zero ‎
13:03 Nov 18, 2021

Thank you so much!!!! I'm planning on writing more, but focused more on Iris. I really appreciate your response!!

Reply

Robert Houston
04:20 Nov 19, 2021

When you do, let me know. I’d love to read more.

Reply

Zero ‎
14:16 Nov 19, 2021

Ok, sound good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zero ‎
04:11 Nov 20, 2021

I just posted a new story : https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/30ctrp/ Hope you like it! I kind of went with the flow on this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.