21 comments

Romance

“Jenny?”

The smooth, dreamy voice that I knew all too well had just spoken my name once again. His smiling face flashed in my mind as I turned away from my desk. I was met with those dark beautiful chocolate eyes that I had stared helplessly into when I was younger. 

“T-tom.” I choked out. Everything seemed to come back all at once. All those long-forgotten feelings from my young love. The arguments, tears, that drunken mistake that ruined it all. That night I cried for hours, heartbroken. Then those dazzling butterfly feelings flooded in. The long-night phone calls we shared, the sweet butterfly kisses he left on my lips when we ever parted, that amazing night when he became my first. Those memories I had locked in a box called my heart. Here he is now, the one who smashed it to smithereens. 

“Tom, what are you doing here?!” I whispered yelled. We were in the middle of my office. I could tell that the others were listening in.

“Wow, Jenny! I can’t believe this! How long had it been, ten years? All this time and we’ve been working in the same building! Dang!” He laughed. I stayed frozen to my seat, shocked.

“Wait, what?! What f-floor?” He’s been working here too? Oh my gosh, how have I never noticed??

“Floor 2, I-uh file things.” He said awkwardly. Wow, he was so close all this time and filing? Not like him at all...

“Well, um- anyway I gotta go drop these off to the Big Man, but we should catch up!  When do you get off?”

“6:30.” Wait, am I agreeing to this??

“Perfect! I’ll see you outside the building around 6:35? Sound good, great! See you later!” I watched him go into the boss’s office, back out, and out of the room.

I turned back around and I was in complete shock. Everyone seemed to be giving me annoyed slide glances. I cleared my throat and went back to work, but I couldn’t think straight. I laid my head on my arms. My mind was going crazy and my cheeks were red. I couldn’t stop thinking about him. Ah! Stop it, Jennifer, stop! I was subconsciously arguing with myself. Before I knew it, it was 5:30 pm and I hadn’t made my quota yet. Oh frick! Gotta go fast, gotta go fast! I started furiously typing, my fingers blazing over the keyboard. Stupid Tom! Making me feel like a giddy, little schoolgirl again! With his stupid, amazing hair and his beautiful eyes! Ugh, he makes me sick! 

****

“Finally, finished!” I sighed in relief as I turned in my work. Everyone was packed up already and ready to leave for the day. It was 6:30 exactly. “Yes, made it!” I tiny air pumped in celebration. I said goodbye to my coworkers, made my way downstairs and out the front door. I breathed in the cold fall air and sighed. I’m going straight home, feeding Peanut, putting pj’s on, watching my k-dramas, and eating ice cream. I was in my happy daze, not paying any attention to the person in front of me. “Oh no! I’m so sorry!” I had bumped their phone right out of their hands. “Sorry, sorry,” I whispered as I handed them back the phone.

“Don’t worry about it, Jenny! Are you ready to go?” I looked at their face. Holy crap it’s Tom! I forgot we’re supposed to go out tonight! I can’t say no now! Frick!

“Yep, all ready!” I selfed cringed at my fake enthusiasm. Oh jeez, we’re really doing this.

We started walking north, towards the center of town. An awkward silence washed over us. He started touching his lips, a thing he did when he was nervous. “You still do that?” I chuckled, pointing at the fingers that were rubbing his lips. He chuckled back, tucking his hand back in his pocket. 

“Haha, yeah. Guess old habits die hard!” We shared a small laugh and when we became silent again, it was comfortable. We reached the center of town and decided to stop at a restaurant. We walked into an Italian place and took a table near the window. 

“Beautiful tonight, isn’t it?” I said, gazing out the window. I could feel his eyes on me as he spoke.

“It sure is.”

****

We laughed and talked about really anything while seated. We were very loud but didn’t care. We were just having fun. We eventually were told to leave before we even got our dinner. You could still hear us giggling on our way out. We walked for a bit more before we passed a convenience store. “Ice cream?” Tom asked. I eagerly nodded my head. He smiled and went in. Coming out, no more than two minutes later, with a mint chocolate chip and vanilla ice cream cone. 

“You remembered my favorite ice cream flavor?” I questioned, taking the artificially green cone from his hands.

“Well, of course! I remember everything about you.” He answered, blushing. I smiled at the ground. He’s truly a sweet guy… We walked on some more, finishing our ice cream and giggling like little kids,. We made our way down to the beach. Staring out into the sea, I got the sudden urge to go into the water. I stripped off my coat, shoes, and socks. 

“What are you doing? Are you crazy?!” Tom said laughing as I waded into the freezing water. 

“Yep, I sure am. Care to join me?” I half-heartedly asked. He sighed and started to take his shoes and coat off too. He jumped in and swam to were I was. We laughed and laughed. Suddenly, I was in his arms, hugging him tightly. He cleared his throat. 

“What are you doing?” He asked. I could tell he was smiling. 

“You’re warm.” This was my excuse as I hugged him more. We released each other and stared into each other’s eyes. 

“Jenny,” He spoke softly, tucking a strand of hair behind my hair,” you’re beautiful.” 

“Hmm,” I hummed, placing his hand on my cheek,” no, you’re more beautiful.”

“Not possible!” He said, lifting me. I laughed and smiled down at him. 

“I really want to kiss you.” He whispered.

“Then do it.” I teased. We locked lips and I realized how much I missed this, us. We kissed, not long enough, before we parted for air.

“Jenny, I’m so sorry about that night. I was drunk and being stupid-” I cut him off. 

“Thomas, shut up. Yes, you were fricken stupid that night, but so was I. I shouldn’t have dragged you to that party. I’m the one who should be sorry.” I looked sadly into his eyes and he smiled that perfect smile.

“Jennifer Kylie Summers, I forgive you.”

“Thomas Anton Jones, I forgive you.” A huge weight had been lifted from both our shoulders. We laughed and kissed again. 

“Hey, Tom?”

“Yes?” 

“Can we please get out of the water now? I think my legs are gonna freeze off.” We ran through the water and collapsed back on the sand. I cuddled up to him and we stared into the starry, dark sky. 

“Hey, Tom?”

“What is it now Jen?” Tom joked.

“I love you.”

August 12, 2020 04:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

15:40 Nov 06, 2020

IT WAS SOOO GOOD!!! Ahhh so cute! I loved it! I can't believe I found such a perfect love story like this one! And I am glad I found someone cheesy like me😅😊😂 But anyways I love how you wrote this, I like how you ended it too everything was just so sweet and beautiful! I loved every part of it! AHHH I'm sorry I just can't get over this! I have been looking for a love story like this for awhile so I'm happy😊 Great job Basil!! I enjoyed this so much! Keep writing!

Reply

Basil Boi
00:20 Nov 15, 2020

Sorry for the (very) late reply! Thank you so much, I've very glad you enjoyed it! I'm really proud of this one. :))

Reply

02:12 Nov 15, 2020

Its okay! Of course! I can see why, it was awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:14 Sep 11, 2020

Hey? i was wondering if you could help me with something?

Reply

Basil Boi
15:03 Sep 14, 2020

Oh hello! Sorry for the late reply, I'm just now checking my reedsy! Do you still need help?

Reply

B. W.
15:20 Sep 14, 2020

Thats alright ^^ and yes i do still need some help with a couple of things

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
16:42 Sep 14, 2020

It's alright if your busy though

Reply

Basil Boi
18:29 Sep 15, 2020

Oh no, it's fine! It depends on how long it'll take though. What do you need?

Reply

B. W.
18:35 Sep 15, 2020

oh wait, check out "Universe" and tell me what you think ^^ don't worry, its something to do what i need help with

Reply

Basil Boi
18:44 Sep 15, 2020

okay!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:42 Sep 01, 2020

hey- i think its been a little while and im not sure if you have or not but could you maybe go read "Not his fault" and "her arrival" i don't think you've seen these two and i'd like to see what ya have to say

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
05:13 Sep 01, 2020

Such a cute and romantic story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
18:20 Aug 18, 2020

I think this may be the first story i've read from you and i just gotta say its really good and you did really good with it. I think i'll just give you a 10/10 for it. And i don't know if you have or not i can't really remember but could you go and check out some of my stories? i'd love to see to what you have to say about them. "we know, do you know?" is the latest

Reply

Basil Boi
16:35 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so much! I think I have checked out some of yours, but I'll check out the lastest! :)

Reply

B. W.
16:38 Aug 19, 2020

thank you and great i wanna see what ya have to say for it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
11:38 Aug 14, 2020

You jumped right into the prompt. I loved reading it, especially the ending bit! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Grey Clouds"? Thank you :D

Reply

Basil Boi
15:25 Aug 14, 2020

Thanks! Glad you liked it! I enjoy your stories every time, I'll be sure to check it out! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
13:06 Aug 13, 2020

Really wonderful romance story! I really enjoyed it, especially the last bit. You did a great job, and I can't wait to read more romance from yoU! Keep writing!

Reply

Basil Boi
23:40 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:44 Aug 14, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.