0 comments

Fiction

Sally never felt like going to a party, but once she actually got there she was fine. Well the definition of ‘fine’ is ‘satisfactory, acceptable, good enough, all right’ – all of which are true but it would be a treat for everyone if Sally’s demeanour got into the ‘happy, joyful, merry’ category! It was the same every time and although friends and family got used to listening to her, they didn’t really enjoy it!

“I don’t want to go” she whined.

“Fine, don’t go because I am truly fed up of listening to you - if you really don’t want to then stay at home. I mean it is only your best friend’s ‘big’ birthday. The same friend who has been by your side through all the ups and downs you have had in life – the same friend who cancelled her holiday one year to Majorca of all places, because you had been silly enough to be hit by a car”.

“I couldn’t help a car mounting the curb and hitting me could I?” she retaliated

“No of course you couldn’t – that’s not the point I’m making. I’m just saying that for once, just once, could you look at a beautiful hand written invitation to a celebration of some sort and say “Oh how wonderful, a party, I’ll get myself all tarted up and have some fun!”

“It’s just not me. I’m just not a party person. You don’t like to get the weekly food shopping, in fact you hate it, but I don’t mind going – we’re all different “she tried to justify her position.

“That’s not even close to the same thing. I still go and I’m cheerful while I’m there. You on the other hand, moan and groan about going anywhere, finally decide to go and it takes you ages to thaw out and actually look like you’re not in pain anymore!”

“Well there’s no point in discussing it any more. Just don’t tell me again that you don’t want to go once you’ve replied”.

“I suppose you’re going? Sally asked her flat mate already knowing the answer. Julie was the life and soul of any social event and loved it!

“I wouldn’t miss it. The last thing I am going to say on the subject is that it will be a lot of fun” and with that the discussion was closed.

It was an issue for Sally. She was generally a happy girl – not the big smile on your face, cracking jokes happy but just content to be pleasant to everyone, friendly and approachable, except when it came to parties. She wasn’t sure why really although her mother was a bit the same. Unfortunately her dad was the opposite and this created a few problems in the family when she was younger. Her mum and dad would get an invitation to a social event and the first thing her mum said, angrily for some reason, was “well I’m not going to that”. Her dad just raised his eyebrows, very bushy ones at that, and sighed as if to say “Here we go again”. But after the usual negative grumbling about it, up until the day before the event, her mum would inevitably go in the end. Whenever Sally asked the next day what it had been like, the answer was always “Quite good actually”.

Sally knew she was the same as her mum in not wanting to attend parties and social events but couldn’t help herself!

One night, sitting in the lounge room together Sally timidly brought up the subject of the party again. “I replied to the invitation today. As if I couldn’t to Gail’s thirtieth party. I knew she would have quite a big ‘do’ ” she said looking at her flat mate – it should be good”.

Julie couldn’t believe she heard those words coming out of the mouth of Sally – ‘should be good’…”Let me get that on record” she joked.

“Let’s wait and see just how long it is until she mentions the party in a different way” Julie said to herself.

It was a very social group that the two girls belonged to and there was usually someone having a ‘get-together’ or a party. Julie loved them and couldn’t understand her friend. She had noticed though, a long time ago, that Sally looked a little awkward and was socially inept when it came to the events and didn’t seem able to fully relax like the rest of them. It came easy to Julie especially after a few drinks! ‘I think that is part of the problem’ she thought to herself ‘Sally doesn’t drink!’

It never takes long for old habits to re-surface no matter how one tries to change for the better….

“I have nothing to wear” Sally moaned one evening over dinner at home.

“What for?” asked Julie knowing full well what she was referring to and thinking that it was just about the right time for it – one week away from the party.

“For the party” she replied slightly agitated. “What do you think? But I’ve put on weight and all my pants look too tight and nothing looks nice”.

“I knew this was coming Sally and I told you I don’t want to hear it. You wore a nice pair of pants to the movies last week and they look great. It’s just excuses. Wear your black pants and the coloured blouse you look great in – but try to be a bit more positive will you?”

Sally knew she should go and would look ok in what Julie suggested to wear but she still wasn’t happy about the idea of it. She could never quite understand what the barrier was to her socialising and having a good time. Sally thought back to when she was a young girl and remembered being happy at the birthday parties where ‘pass the parcel’, pin the donkeys tail on’, and lots of other fun and games were played. Unfortunately we have to grow up and all the fun at parties disappears!!

Over the years she had used the excuse of having a migraine, a toothache, feeling dizzy and where she didn’t know the people all that well, the excuses were a bit broader like, someone has broken down and she need to pick them up, her tap had leaked and there was water everywhere in the kitchen, she had just found out a relative was extremely ill and she felt upset, or the one used the most, a friend had just lobbed up at her place and they were only here for a night. She usually felt so relieved when she had given the excuse and hung up the phone. It was as if a big weight had been taken from off her shoulders, but even she couldn’t do that to one of her best friends.

It was the day of the party and all day she had thought about it, how she really didn’t want to go and would be so much happier sitting at home in her PJ’s, eating a pizza and watching television! She’d been touchy at work without realising it until one of her co-workers asked her if she wasn’t feeling well or if she was tired. “Why is that?” she replied. “Oh you just seem a bit ‘off’ – a bit tense and touchy – that’s all!”

That night after a final look in the mirror Sally was ready. “Oh well that will have to do” she said aloud.

Julie was picking her up and Sally knew that was because she was making sure she got there. When she opened the door to her friend and heard the words “Hi Sally, you look fabulous. We’ll have a great time tonight”, she still didn’t want to go!

It was already lively when they got to the house. Music could be heard coming from the back yard and voices were loud and raucous with lots of laughter swirling around the house. Sally found the birthday girl, hugged and kissed her, gave her the gift and then went to find a corner to sit and just observe. Gail and Sally had been friends for a few years now and she had been to this house numerous times, so knew just where a good place to sit would be.

‘I’ll need a glass of orange first though’ she thought wending her way through what was turning out to be a lot of people. The drinks were set up outside so there was no way she could get a drink without bumping into people. Coloured light hung from trees and bushes reflecting on the water of the sparkling below ground pool, the light dancing on the ripples. Paper lanterns blew in the warm breeze and there was a buzz of excitement and a festive atmosphere.

Sally gently pushed her way through a group of people and poured a large glass of orange juice. “This will last a while so I won’t have to fight my way through the masses again” she said under her breath.

“There you are Sally. Her friend boomed - glass in hand. Come and meet some people”.

“I really don’t want to Julie. I have a bit of a headache; she lied trying to get away. I will later – promise”.

“No now, come on, there are some people I would like you to meet. I’ve told them all about you and your art work and how talented you are, AND they have some of your pieces in their building! They’re lovely and are eager to meet you.

Sally’s protestations went unheard by her vivacious friend, dragging her by the arm as she grabbed her glass off the table, gulping it on the way, as she thought of all the small talk she now had to do!

“Lindy and Jason, this is Sally. You’ve seen some of her artwork in the foyer of your offices – a very talented friend of mine” Julie offered proudly, turning to look at Sally.

“Hi you two” Sally said loudly holding out her hand and laughing.

“We wanted to meet the amazing artist who has her work hanging in our offices. When Julie told us you would be here tonight we were thrilled” they gushed. We would love to see some more of your pieces as we’re doing a big reno soon and will be adding more painting”.

“Oh darlink” Sally mimicked, taking the last gulp of her juice and tossing the glass into a large bush silhouetted against the pool fence, as Julie watched her do it, utterly shocked. “You two can come to my art ‘studio’ any time and look at my art work. MY studio is a little tin shed down the back of my garden. It’s hot as hell in summer and would freeze yer backside off in winter, and, and ….the door doesn’t shut properly” she told them, but come along and watch the artist at work, that’s me yer know”….. And they laughed at her description of her studio and the fun way she had told them about it.

“Sally!” Julie said “What’s wrong with you?” She had never seen her like this and couldn’t understand what was happening. “Do you feel alright? Come here and let me feel your forehead” a worried voice demanded.

“I’m just dandy and smatter of fact I’m gonna sing”…Sally jumped up onto a small decorative table next to an amused bunch of party goers and began, very loudly to sing along to the song already blaring from a speaker, but not before grabbing an empty beer bottle to sing into.

She continued to perform on the table with loads of others joining in, all holding anything that resembled the shape of a microphone. After that playlist of songs had ended, she jumper down off the table, hot and perspiring, with people yelling at her to “come back soon to sing with us”.

“Hey Julie” she called out “Hows ’bout another orange juice?”

Julie and a few of the other girls, including Gail had been both amused and shocked by this ‘new’ Sally. “I’ve never seen her like this. She’s acting as if she’s drunk, and she doesn’t even drink”. Gail commented.

“Well let’s just enjoy it while we can, they laughed. Maybe she’s just had a bump on the head!”  “I’m just going to get the ‘party queen’ a juice – just keep an eye on her will you?”

As she poured the drink, Julie had a sudden thought that perhaps it was more than just orange juice. Taking a sip, she couldn’t tell. But when she got to the group, asked if anyone knew what it was. “Oh that’s vodka and orange”.

Julie took the drink over to her friend. “Here you are Sally” she said handing it over. “How’s it all going? I didn’t know you could sing as well as paint” she laughed, thinking to herself that this couldn’t be the same person she picked up to come here.

“Fabulous. I’m having a great time. I feel like I could party for ever, and ever and……” she didn’t finish the sentence as a few of the ‘singing’ group rushed over to ask when she was coming back to sing.

“Well, I would love to sing again but I’m still hot and sweaty from last time, so I’m just gonna take a dip first – who’s coming in?”

“Great idea, a swim.” Someone yelled opening the pool gate.

“Yay, come on”, as bodies threw themselves into the pool, fully clothed. The shrieking and noise of the laughter had escalated to fever pitch. The music was turned up to ‘let’s hope the neighbours don’t complain’ level and in the midst of all of this was Sally, now showing off what she thought were her ‘synchronised swimming skills’!!

Sally’s friends watched from the sidelines – knowing just what Sally needed at the start of every party from now on, but maybe just small glasses and maybe just one!

May 14, 2021 15:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.