2 comments

Fiction Holiday Suspense

Kevri and Kyrie Jacobs held tightly to each other’s hands, walking quickly down the slick pavement away from their house. They straightened out their long purple skirts, smoothed out their hair, and then knocked on the tall, looming door of 73rd Mooney Street. The door creaked open by itself slowly, and the girls entered the house, closing the heavy door behind them. They headed from the entrance hall into the living room, where a large group of people that the girls didn’t recognize had been forming for the past few hours. They were followed closely by a strange man and his wife, who were observing the girls. The twin girls stepped forward, and introduced themselves to the group of strangers, who took turns greeting them both warmly. The girls curtsied at the group, subtly showing off their brand new outfits to them. The strangers chuckled and nodded politely at the twins, and the girls then excused themselves to get a drink of water. They each got a small cup of icy cold water, trying to ignore the couple still staring at them from the living room. 

 Just then, Kevri and Kyrie noticed a young man in the corner, and he invited them down into the basement. He explained to the girls that there was a small gathering of people down there, who were practicing their potions and spell casting. Kevri and Kyrie agreed and followed him down the stairs, leaving the mysterious couple behind them to wonder where they went. 

The man introduced himself to the twin girls as Easton Hayes, and then led them into a large, spacious room. The room was lined with tall white shelves filled with strange, colorful toys, and in the center of the room there was a low table, surrounded by many witches and wizards who were sitting on small, comfortable cushions. The girls joined the group of witches gathered at the table, and they were greeted happily by the others. On top of the table was a large, bubbling cauldron with greenish brown smoke billowing out of the top of it and onto the small table. Several of the witches began swirling their hands over it ominously and quietly chanting incomprehensible ancient spells. Their faces were glowing brightly in the cauldron light, and it made all of the witches seem creepy and dangerous. 

Kevri and Kyrie joined in on the group’s spell casting, and in a few minutes they had everyone chanting the spell with them, making it stronger and more powerful. They chanted the words, louder and louder until they were screeching the spell at the top of their lungs. Once they were done casting the spell, the cauldron bubbled over onto the table, and they poured themselves drinks from the frothy potion into large red solo cups. They drank thirstily from their cups, like they hadn’t had a sip of water in years. 

The potion energized the witches immensely; it made them more hyper than they had ever been in their entire lives. They shrieked and howled, laughing loudly and continuing to drink the potion ravenously; acting almost as if they were drunk off of the potion. The people who were relaxing upstairs peeked into the room, and were terrified at what they had uncovered. They didn’t know how to fix the situation, because the witches had already taken too much of the potion. They took away the cauldron while the witches screamed at them. The witches stomped their feet and threw things at the group from upstairs, acting like they were young toddlers. They were wild and disrespectful, acting inhuman. 

The humans disappeared with the large, bubbling cauldron, leaving the witches and wizards alone in the large room. Just then, a young witch named Olivia found a radio, and switched it on, turning it up as loudly as possible. It was playing “This Is Halloween” from The Nightmare Before Christmas, and the witches began to dance crazily. They twirled, they howled, they were running into things and jumping around like children at a middle school dance. They celebrated for hours, dancing and singing until their bodies were so tired that they collapsed onto the floor. The high that they had gotten from the strange potion was quickly wearing off; the witches all fell almost instantly into a deep, dreamless sleep. They were sprawled all around the large room: sleeping on the couches, the chairs, the floor, and even on the lower bookshelves. 

After the group had been sleeping for about an hour straight, the big group of people from upstairs in the living room checked in on the witches again. They saw that the witches were laid around the room sleeping, and the people smirked at each other, giggling and shushing one another. They quietly creeped into the room, and began slowly lifting up the witches and wizards and carrying them back upstairs. 

They carried the witches out of the house and towards the street, laughing and saying goodbye to one another as they went. They put their witches in the backseat of their cars, and buckled them all into their booster seats. The children groaned and twisted around in their witch costumes, but not one of them woke up completely. They kids had all had several large cups of Coca Cola before the adults had noticed that it had been taken off of the kitchen table, and they were going to be sleeping off their sugar high for at least a few more hours. Their parents climbed into their cars, thinking about how much fun they had at the witch and wizard themed party, and preparing themselves for the insane amount of Halloween candy their children would consume within the next few weeks. The families all drove back to their cozy homes, taking their children inside and laying them in their beds. The parents tucked in the small witches, kissing them on their foreheads and reading them a bedtime story and hanging up their witch costumes until the next year.

October 28, 2020 04:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Giraffe Person
15:27 Nov 02, 2020

Wow! That's so cool! I really, really liked your style and I enjoyed reading it. Fantastic.

Reply

01:39 Nov 08, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.