0 comments

Fiction Crime

I made it. I can't believe I made it. No one noticed me leave. No one noticed me at all. That's a relief. It took me all day and night to get to my families cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm here and I'm safe.

The cabin is just as I remembered. I loved coming here as a little girl. This place was very special to me. All these years I've been away from the cabin I missed a piece of me. Now that I'm here I feel like a stranger.

The cabin is no longer my special place, it's my hideout from an unknown danger. I didn't know what to do. Who to trust so I made myself disappear.

I witness a terrible crime. It is seared in my memory forever. My friend, my dear friend Kyle was killed by an unknown person. I saw this unknown person with my own eyes. This unknown person is a mystery. He stood over Kyle's body without a care in the world.

His eyes were menacing, cold, merciless. I wanted to scream but I couldn't let myself be seen. I had to protect myself. I did the only thing I could do. I ran for my life.

I'm going over what happened so many times on the drive up here. Should I have gone to the police and told them what I saw? Somebody must have found Kyle's body by now.

Oh my God! poor Kyle. He was such a good person. Why did this happen to him? Why me of all people have to see this? I'm hoping that being in the mountains will help me figure out what to do.

Look at this place. It's just how I remembered as a child. So many summer vacations spent with my family swimming at the lake and hiking up the mountains, seeing all the beautiful scenery is what I loved and missed the most about the mountains.

Peace is what I need right now. Comfort is what I need right now. The cabin always gave me that and after what I saw this is just the medicine I need.

First, I begin to check the cabin to see if everything is fine. All looks good. Next, I check for food. I know for a fact my mother keeps the cabin stocked with food for the hikers. Well, there is enough food to last me a couple days.

I make myself food, the simplest food I can think of, spaghetti. I'm not a great cook so this will do. My food is ready. I grad my plate and serve myself the spaghetti. I go to the couch and sit down. I'm tempted to turn on the T.V. but I don't.

Wow this spaghetti taste good. I finished eating and now I'm desperate to know if someone found Kyle. I find the remote and turn the T.V. on. I turn to the news and there it is. Oh my God! Poor Kyle there goes his body.

BREAKING NEWS

The body of Kyle Chambers was found brutally murder inside Daisy's restaurant. Any witnesses are urged to come forward immediately.

Their looking for witnesses. Oh my God! their looking for me. I should call my mom and tell her what is happening. Yup, that's what I will do.

I pick up my phone and dial my mom's number, wait no I can't do that. What if the killer saw me? I have to protect my mom. I put my phone down and begin to pace the room. Think Hailey. You can do this. It's 2 am, maybe a good night's sleep will clear my mind.

I go to my room, hop on the bed and close my eyes. No oh no Kyle. I wake up drenched in my own sweat. Those eyes, those dark cold eyes I will never forget.

The unknown man is in my head, in my nightmares. I can't get him out of my head. I take a piece of paper from the night stand and begin to write what I saw.

At around 10 pm me Hailey Mason finished working at Daisy's restaurant. I left the restaurant and proceed to my car. When I left Kyle was the only one inside. When I got to my car, I looked in my bag for my car keys. I couldn't find them. So, I went back to the restaurant. The moment I opened the door I knew something was wrong. I heard Kyle's voice and another man. I don't know who this man was or what he wanted. I don't know what they were arguing about. Next thing I knew the unknown man took out the knife and began stabbing Kyle. I looked unable to do anything. I was too scared. He looked my way. I will never forget those eyes. How could I?

I put down the pen and paper and head downstairs. I open the curtains, such a beautiful day that I decide to go on a hike. Maybe the hike will help me clear my mind and help me decide what to do.

Before, I leave I must eat breakfast. I look through the cupboards and find oatmeal, better than nothing. I warm the oatmeal, then begin to eat Once I'm done, I go and get dress. I find some clothes my sister left and get dress. I also find a camera my mother left, pick it up and leave.

I walk out of the cabin into the beautiful sunny day. The mountains look so beautiful. I take the trail me and my family always take. It's the easiest and quickest trial but I take my time. I want to enjoy the beauty of the forest and the mountains.

Wow, the mountains are sight to see. The scenery looks absolutely beautiful, stunning, mesmerizing. I find a comfortable spot and sit down.

I close my eyes and think back to the events of the last day. I still can't believe may good friend is dead. He didn't deserve this. In mind I keep seeing Kyle's face. His eyes starring aimlessly at me. His face full of terror. I open my eyes, look up at the sky. Kyle give me a sign, help me find a way to help you.

The wind begins to pick up. I close my eyes again and feel the wind in me. it feels so good and comforting. I think I know what needs to be done. Thank you Kyle.

I take one last look at the beautiful sight before me, then I walk back down the trail. I'm going to make this vow right here right now to come back to the mountains.

As I make my way down the mountain, I see a car that I recognize as my mother's. She must have figure out I'm the witness the police are looking for. My mother must also have known I would come to the mountains to escape.

I reach the cabin. My mother runs to me and gives me a hug. I hug her back. My mother begins to cry. I tell her everything is going to be alright. She looks at me and smiles.

I tell my mother everything. I tell her I saw Kyle being murder and the man who committed the murder. I also tell her I didn't recognize the man. Lastly, I tell my mother I want to tell the police everything.

My mother looks at me and tells me "We will go together." I smile and nod. Me and my mother leave together, beforeI leave I take the camera and take a picture of the mountains.

I hop into my mother's car and together we go to the police station. Me and my mother arrive at the police station late in the evening. I sit down with the lead detective and tell him what I saw. After I finish the detective tells me they have a person of interest in custody. He asks me if I can identify the suspect. I tell him yes.

My mother comes with me. We enter a room with a two-way window. The detective turns the light on. I immediately recognize those dark cold eyes. It's him. That's the man who killed Kyle. "That's him." I tell the detective.

I ask the detective "Why?" He tells me "Kyle owned some very bad people money. They came to collect." I immediately got scared. The detective tells me not to worry that I will be safe.

Me and my mother trust the detective and the police to do their job. I went home with my mother and I finally had a peaceful night sleep.

The day of Kyle's funeral came. At first, I didn't want to go but I had a duty to Kyle to pay my final respects to him and to tell him justice will be served.

I arrive art the funeral home, gave my condolences to his family then I go to his casket and tell him "Kyle, I'm going to do right by you. I'm not going to be afraid. Thank you for being my friend."

I leave the funeral home, me and my mother go back to the cabin to wait for the day I give my testimony against Kyle's killer.

January 19, 2023 21:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.