35 comments

Science Fiction Speculative

“Looks like de Luca is making a new movie,” Brent said, face buried in his phone.

Renee stared up at the moonroof and sighed. She put the car into park and leaned back. Not like traffic was going anywhere.

“There’s a name I haven’t heard in years,” she said. “Is he really still directing?”

“Ooh!” said Brent. “Looks like Adriana Mendoza’s in it.”

Renee ran her hands over her face. Somewhere along the highway someone honked, which got a chorus going for a while before petering out. “You and your Mexican girls.”

“Hey, she’s on my list.” Brent grinned at Renee, but she was frowning at the cars ahead.

“Why aren’t we moving?”

“It’s probably just an accident,” he said. Maybe a little too fast, maybe a little too wishful. No need to say what other thing it might be. It didn’t reassure Renee any though. She grabbed the steering wheel and squeezed it until her knuckles whitened.

Brent decided she needed a distraction. “Hey, look! It’s a sequel to Ares Horizon.”

Renee turned to him, scowling where he was grinning. “What?

“Ares Horizon. You know, the one about–”

“–Yeah, no, I know what it is. But why the hell would anyone want to make a sequel to it?”

“It was really popular. Redefined sci-fi.”

“Yeah,” Renee said, “before. What kind of an idiot wants to watch an alien invasion movie now?”

“C’mon, it’s just a fun distraction.”

“Is it?” she said.

“Yeah,” Brent said, scrolling on his phone to look for anything that could defuse this. “You know, just a cool action romp. The Xalo Federation is occupying Earth, and there’s a last desperate alliance of soldiers and scientists…”

She stared at him. It wasn’t even a glare, just a cold, tired, intensity. A soldier back home from the war. A nurse in the middle of the sixth split shift that week. A mother surveying the aftermath of her eight year old’s birthday party.

“It’s just for fun,” Brent whispered, slinking back to his phone.

“What’s fun about aliens,” she said, flat. Up ahead more brake lights went off as other cars went into park. Gridlock on the Trans-Canada Highway. Great.

She huffed. “I don’t get why anyone would want to watch those movies. They’re so dumb, so fake. So depressing. It’s like if they made a historical movie about King Arthur, only everyone rode around on dinosaurs instead of horses.”

Brent chortled. “I’d watch that.” He looked at her, grinning his grin and doing that thing where he was trying to hide a chuckle and it made his whole body shake. That stupid thing that was always so infectious, and a moment later Renee also snorted.

“It would be super historically accurate,” he said. “Maybe the story of how they conquered America.”

“Or the moon,” she added, and they both laughed.

“You should write a script,” Brent said. “Tell your parents about it. I’m sure they’d get a kick out of it.”

“Yeah, as if we’ll ever see them at this rate.” Traffic was dead. Even the honking had subsided.

“Hey, come on, it’s just a couple more hours. We’re almost at Sudbury, and then Thunder Bay’s right around the corner. We could swing by a Timmies.”

Renee rolled her eyes. “Yeah right. It’s not even a couple hours on a good day.”

“A couple days then, tops. It’ll give us time to work on that script.” They chuckled again. Brent took Renee’s hand, she squeezed his. He always knew what to say. After ten years of marriage he still found ways to make it feel like a new adventure every day.

A distant chopping sound broke her reverie and she withdrew her hand. Brent’s face tightened and they both looked to the sky. Mid-sunset, it was dark out and the tree line along the highway obscured things further. She spotted something in the air, flying parallel to the long line of cars and headed their way. A helicopter. It shined an intense spotlight on the cars, but it was too big to be news or weather. And when it passed over the moonroof, she caught a glimpse of all the missiles, rockets, bombs, guns – whatever else – flanking it on either side. So, military, and probably American.

“Oh, no,” Brent said.

“Why,” Renee said. It wasn’t directed at him. It wasn’t directed at anyone. “Why, why, why!” She slammed her fists on the steering wheel.

“Calm down, honey.” Brent was back at his phone, now checking the Encounter Tracker app. “It’s probably nothing. Just a patrol, something like that.”

She saw some people exit their cars and stare up at the sky, following the helicopter’s path. A moment later another two came flying the same way.

“Just a patrol?” she said. “Right when traffic is stuck?”

“Well…”

“Why! This isn’t fair! They’re not supposed to be here! It’s not the pattern!

They were silent a moment, and then Brent just barely whispered, “Oh.”

“What is it?” Renee turned to him, watching his eyes move as he read his phone.

“So, yeah,” he said. “It looks like we have an Aberration Event.”

Renee felt her skin crawl, felt the chill of ice-sweat.

“Something maybe happening up at Sudbury.”

“What is it? What’s happened?”

“Government’s not saying much,” he drew out, scrolling and clicking, “just a general advisory. And–oh! Looks like the Trans-Can is closed. Shit. But–wait, hold on, someone posted something.”

“What is it?”

“Yeah, a couple people confirmed it. Something happened in the Toronto Exclusion Zone. Oh… one of them moved. It just suddenly started going north. Towards Sudbury.”

Again, silence. Renee and Brent looked at each other, each processing the information. An Aberration Event. Among the worst news most people could hear on any given day. For the most part, the visitors – the current going name in the media – were dangerous, but not malicious, and they were very predictable. A whole ecosystem of apps and studies existed plotting their movements and sharing their patterns, so that people could avoid them. They followed the same paths like clockwork, and if you wanted to travel or live somewhere, you just had to account for the visitor schedule. Easy enough.

Except then there were the aberrations, when the pattern changed. Or maybe they disproved the existence of the pattern entirely.

They heard a siren, and when they looked around they saw the distant reflections of red-and-blue lights strobing against the trees.

“What now?” Brent asked.

Renee rolled down her window. A police cruiser rolled along the shoulder, an officer barking a warning at the stuck drivers through a megaphone.

“Attention! An Aberration Event has been detected in the vicinity. Please exit your vehicles in an orderly fashion, and step away from them. Take only what you can carry. Your vehicles will be safe. This is only a precaution. Attention!”

“Oh my god!” Renee said, unbuckling herself. “Is it coming this way?”

“I got a report here,” Brent said, nose in phone again, “that it never got to Sudbury. Some guy saw it bank east. Oh my god…”

They got out of their car along with the countless other travelers and stood on the shoulder. People bundling up against the chill of the night. Some were lone travelers, others families that spanned three generations. Some with pets, others with musical instruments. Some were excited, all were worried. One old woman in a shawl bragged she’d seen them before, and that there was nothing to worry about. “Just mind your feet! Just mind your feet! And don’t take your eyes off them.”

“I wish they just nuked them,” Renee said.

“They did,” Brent said. “Don’t you remember Riyadh?”

Renee didn’t answer. Of course she remembered it. Everyone did. It was only eight years ago, shortly after Arrival Day. It was about as close as Earth came to one of de Luca’s Ares Horizon movies. What was meant to be some kind of victory day ended up being… just a day. At least as far as the visitors were concerned. They weathered Earth’s weapons just fine, and either didn’t care or didn’t even notice.

Something rippled through the stranded travelers. A shift in the general mood, a wave of excitement, everyone holding their breaths. A moment later the sky was filled with more helicopters. A whole fleet of them bathing the dark woods in false daylight.

And then people screamed, despite the authorities’ pleas for calm. Through the woods there was another light, a more intense yellow one. Everyone had seen it on TV before, or on the Internet, and they all knew what it meant. One of them was close, and getting closer.

Brent grabbed Renee’s hand and pulled her away from the light. They huddled in the ditch by the highway along with some other people, but both of them knew if it came to it, they probably couldn’t outrun it. No matter how much they minded their feet.

Then they heard trees cracking and suddenly everything was flooded with yellow light. And they saw it.

Five metres tall, hovering above the ground, what looked like two silver pyramids placed base-to-base, each one rotating in a different direction. The yellow light poured forth from every seam, but there was no warmth in it. It was the light between the stars.

Some people screamed and scrambled away from it, others like Renee and Brent stood frozen, staring at the visitor. It emerged from the woods, moving through no discernable mechanism, a thousand spotlights tracing its path. It hovered over the ditch, mere metres from Renee, and Renee marveled at how absolutely dead silent the thing was.

If she tried, she could have reached out to it, touched it. All it would take is a couple steps and stretching her hand out. But that would have been fatal. The talking heads on the media argued back and forth about the visitors, saying they could manipulate gravity or control inertia, or any other number of unprovable hypotheses, but the facts were simple. They did not tolerate being touched, and nothing on Earth had the power to resist them. They were an unstoppable force, and there were no immovable objects to put in their path.

The visitor hovered for little more than a second, but it felt a lot longer to Renee. Then it lurched forward again. It didn’t so much start moving as it just resumed its previous speed and trajectory, skipping any pretense at acceleration. Plowing right through the traffic jam.

Like a beach bully kicking over a sandcastle, dozens of vehicles were suddenly airborne, grains of sand caught in the wind. Renee and Brent’s car among them. Helicopters scrambled out of the way of the sudden barrage, and the flaming cars crashed into the distant woodlands like artillery fire. The visitor, oblivious to the chaos it caused, crossed the highway and continued on its inscrutable path.

Emergency services arrived, but it turned out to be a pretty good night as nobody was hurt. Almost a decade of this and people had gotten used to the worst of it. The drills, what to do during, how to handle the aftermath. Most of them chattered excitedly, others – who had lost their vehicles – shook their heads at the unfairness of it all. There wasn’t an insurance company on Earth that covered contact with visitors.

“Why,” Renee said, shaking her head.

Brent hugged her. “It’s all right, hon. We’ll get a new car. We’re fine, that’s what matters.” He was trembling.

“Yeah,” she said, absently. Maybe she should have been afraid. Maybe she should have been upset. Mostly, she was tired. “But why?”

He looked at her, quizzically.

“Why this?” she said, indicating the aftermath. “Why come to our home? All they do is fly around being a menace. Why don’t they tell us what they want? Whatever happened to ‘take us to your leader’?”

Brent remained silent. Eight years of those questions being asked. Eight years, and no answer in sight. Long enough for kids to have been born in this world, to be aware of the visitors, and to have never known anything else.

“I just want things to be normal again.”

Brent sighed. “This is normal. Now.”

May 23, 2022 22:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

J.C. Lovero
00:56 Jun 02, 2022

Hello there Michał! Finally getting around to reading your story! Somehow my TBR list on Reedsy keeps getting longer and longer, but I wanted to be sure I checked you out! As others have mentioned, loved the allegory here under the backdrop of sci-fi. Something that I love about writing in fantasy and sci-fi is that you can take basically any contemporary topic and spin a story around it to articulate either a feeling (in this case, frustration) or a criticism (normalizing, the new normal) without sounding preachy. Just throw in aliens or ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:05 Jun 02, 2022

Thanks, J.C.! I know what you mean about the reading list. Too many good writers on this site :) Oh well, I can think of worse problems to have. "using your sentences efficiently to give us YEARS of history in a few lines" As someone who used to ramble tomes of exposition, this just made my evening :D Sci-fi/fantasy are probably my preferred (they seem to be clumped together so often) but I like jumping around. Gotta try new stuff to improve, right?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:26 Jun 01, 2022

Great twist. Again, you say so much in such a few words. The simplicity of the story underpins insightful truths -- like how much we put up with (crime, environmental collapse, institutional failures, etc.) because "it's not that bad." Great line here: "For the most part, the visitors – the current going name in the media – were dangerous, but not malicious, and they were very predictable." Staggering. Says so much about appeasement in the 21st c. The meme of the dog drinking coffee in the burning coffee shop should be our world motto: "Th...

Reply

15:23 Jun 01, 2022

This: https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2022/06/american-economy-negative-perception-inflation/661149/

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:26 Jun 01, 2022

This is an interesting article. From the title I assumed it would be about that "screw you, I got mine" mentality, but they dig into perceptions instead. I've read a lot about how we're pretty bad at perception/estimates/statistics (vs reality) and it's interesting seeing this on an (inter)national scale. The old "this feels true, therefore it must be true." This is the kind of article which could fuel all sorts of great fiction, but one line stood out: "This creates a confusing voting bloc, which is constantly angry about the state of t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:17 Jun 01, 2022

Thanks, Deidra. Always appreciate the feedback :) You got a lot of what I was going for, particularly this situation standing in for *insert favourite problem we're ignoring*. But then you used that word, "appeasement." What a great way of putting it! We can appease a bully, but who can we appease with the bigger problems? The whole thing just kind of smells like "thoughts and prayers" instead of taking action, because taking action is uncomfortable and risky. Until we're forced to take action, and then it's too late to do it on our terms.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Sharon Hancock
01:53 Jun 01, 2022

Oh wow this was unexpected and fantastic! So different from other invasion stories and so eerily possible. You did a great job of making it believable ..especially with the car insurance line. My brain actually did a , “hey that’s not right someone should write a letter to car insurance companies…” before I stopped myself and remembered it was fictional. Loved the suspense and spookiness. Great job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:00 Jun 01, 2022

Thanks, Sharon :) That's always a bit of a nightmare, isn't it? You pay for insurance, but when you need, it your case just happens to fall in the narrow cracks that don't qualify :P I'm glad it was believable, and even a little spooky :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
08:06 May 31, 2022

This is such a great take on the alien invasion story, I love that the aliens have neither destroyed the earth nor been destroyed themselves, but instead everyone has carried on living alongside them. I love how you introduce the idea of this by starting with something as mundane as a husband and wife stuck in a traffic jam and feeling irritated by it, discussing new movies coming out. And then slowly begin dropping in information about the 'new normal'. I did love this line, how it shows the way people will try and feel in control of a situ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:52 May 31, 2022

Thanks so much, Kelsey! Regarding the underlying message -- I actually completely missed that myself, but you're totally right. It feels like one of those "you don't know what you have until it's gone" moments. And "people will try and feel in control of a situation even when they are clearly not" seems like a great description for life :) Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
21:25 May 30, 2022

Hello Michal, I loved reading your latest story and enjoyed it on so many different levels. It blended several genres into a potent cocktail that poked fun at recent global events and notions of what it is to be normal. We all keep adjusting to the new normals and the bar of acceptance gets lower every year. It’s amazing how much has changed in ways that were unimaginable two decades ago. On a different note, concerning the visitors and it’s a bit of a curved ball, but I found Renee’s line, “All they do is fly around being a menace. Why don’...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:11 May 30, 2022

Thanks Howard! I'm glad you liked it, and I appreciate the feedback. I haven't given too much thought to their motives, but I love that idea :D Somehow it seems so very human.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
21:01 May 29, 2022

He shoots, he scores! This is another slam dunk of a story, Michał. I swear, you're incapable of writing bad fiction. What I love about the most about Science Fiction and Speculative and Fantasy stories is when they're allegorical, as is the case here. I mean, yeah, the story is about aliens landing on Earth and interrupting the order of society, but that's not *really* what we're talking about. I like that you can link this piece in a myriad of ways to history in regards to the new-normal theme -- think WWI and WWII, or the economic recess...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:32 May 29, 2022

Thanks, Zack! What a great run down :) And on point, as always. You're right about it working as a stand-in. While writing the first draft I was explicitly picturing literal aliens, but part way through I realized I was channeling COVID frustration. I didn't see the world wars or the recession until you mentioned it though. Now I wonder if the term "normal" has any meaning at all, since it seems there's a new one every couple of decades. That's one thing I've enjoyed about the feedback for this story, seeing what stand-in readers related to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andi Hyland
07:00 May 29, 2022

Another great story. I was gripped from the very first sentence. You made the "new normal" so believable. Congratulations.

Reply

Michał Przywara
17:51 May 29, 2022

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
17:58 May 28, 2022

Hi Michał! Again, this was fun, and I'm not even into sci-fi and aliens! I was wondering if you were going to describe the visitors, and before you actually have I pictured them as house sized blobs of dark purple jelly. Close enough, right? I loved the last line with this being the new normal - something I've heard so many times over the pandemic, very fitting for worldwide devastation.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:22 May 28, 2022

Hi Riel! Thanks for the read and feedback. Man, house-sized dark purple jelly, love it! That would be a whole other kind of terrifying :) Yeah, "the new normal" definitely inspired that line. It seems like every generation gets its own "new normal" when the rug's pulled out from under their feet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
17:37 May 28, 2022

I see a sort of allegory here, perhaps intentional or not, that resonates heavily with the state of the world these days. As others mentioned, Brent and Renee have a great dynamic that feels natural and kind. If it weren't for the genre tags or the title of the story one would be quite surprised by the visitors that arrive near the end--Which I love! Back to my allegory point-- When you finished the story with "This is normal. Now." I was like, yes. School shootings. Pandemics. Control over women's bodies. This is normal, now :( The...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:17 May 28, 2022

Thanks, Shea! I think you nailed it with your observations. About midway through writing it, it occurred to me I was pulling a lot of frustration out of COVID. Another was 9/11. I remember how things were before it, and how they changed, and there's still times where I find myself thinking "I wonder when we'll get back to normal." But there's people of voting age alive today who were born after, who never knew the before. This *is* normal for them. The march of time is baffling and relentless. "Why" is such a powerful question, but so rare...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:33 May 28, 2022

Hi Michal, You’ve made Brent and Renee utterly believable and relatable within a few sentences. Great dialogue. The banality of being stuck in traffic is perfectly captured. And then you’ve managed to present 8 years of alien presence on Earth realistically- I really don’t know how you’ve managed this but I effortlessly bought into this new reality. Then you present an alien both mysterious and alarming, with a skilful depiction of the human reactions to it. Brilliant storytelling. I love it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
15:14 May 28, 2022

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm so happy to hear it all flows believably :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
05:23 May 26, 2022

Making alien movies during a ten year invasion? What a great "focus suck" for media setting. This is probably maxed out for theme, character, philosophy; it seems very polished. I hope you are Canadian...your intimacy with some ideas (Yankee incursions, hwy issues) is stronger than we get in Seattle. Clapping. This story is very smart and flows well. Please trade-mark the knights on dinosaurs, perhaps with and without moon.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:26 May 26, 2022

Thanks for reading! I'm glad it came out polished. Maybe making a movie about something horrible while it's ongoing isn't all that bad -- maybe it's a way people can process it -- but yeah, it sure seems greasy too. Indeed, I am a Canadian, and I have no idea how we'd handle an alien invasion. Seems like an international event, probably the kind that would shake things up everywhere.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anissa Waterman
21:59 May 25, 2022

I love that this turned out to be about aliens. What a great story.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:16 May 25, 2022

Thanks! I'm happy to hear it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
17:59 May 25, 2022

I really loved this. The way you portrayed the invasion, and its effects (and lack of it) on society was intriguing and probably pretty spot on. A lot of SciFi gets caught up in the big events and catastrophes. I really enjoyed the focus on business as usual, and how 'usual' has changed.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:12 May 25, 2022

Thanks Beth! Yeah, the common stories often get overlooked in the sweeping sci-fi epics, but there's lots of room for exploration there. I'm glad you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
03:40 May 25, 2022

Michal, I loved this! You painted such vivid descriptions of what was happening, that I thought I was inside a movie. Your line, "It’s like if they made a historical movie about King Arthur, only everyone rode around on dinosaurs instead of horses,” reminded me of a 1980s movie with a very young Ed Harris called, "KnightRiders." It's about a motorcycle group that tour the USA on motorcycles, dressed as knights of the round table and jousting like knights of old. It was a good movie for its time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knightriders O...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:08 May 25, 2022

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd not heard of KnightRiders but it sounds like a neat idea. A scene in my mind while writing that part was the coconuts in Monty Python's Holy Grail. No dinosaurs, but Arthur and his knights at least :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
15:37 May 24, 2022

Ah, this was great! Your interactions between Brent and Renee are so well written—realistic, believable m, endearing. I loved this paragraph: “ They chuckled again. Brent took Renee’s hand, she squeezed his. He always knew what to say. After ten years of marriage he still found ways to make it feel like a new adventure every day.” —good way to cap that section and quickly help the readers get to know the couple. I appreciated how this was SciFi, but was in no way *cheesy*. I think you do really well with taking any subject matter and maki...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:26 May 24, 2022

Thanks Aeris! It's very encouraging to hear things are made believable through the characters and interactions. I'm also pleased it didn't come across as cheesy. I don't know what an alien invasion might look like in real life, but I bet it would be frustrating more than anything else.

Reply

Aeris Walker
22:47 May 24, 2022

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:02 May 24, 2022

Hi Michal, this prompt has proven to be a perfect launch vehicle for varied super powers in your arsenal😊 I see an amalgamation of sci-fi, humour and political potshots( albeit a little sly) in this. And it works so well towards what you want to convey. Chaos can be the new normal, if one doesn't know how to welcome the visitors.- deep, as usual.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:24 May 24, 2022

Thanks, Suma! Always happy to get your take. "Chaos can be the new normal, if one doesn't know how to welcome the visitors." I like that! What a great one line summary :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.