from the forest to the tower

Submitted into Contest #42 in response to: Write a story that ends with one character waiting for the arrival of another.... view prompt

0 comments

General

The drop ship dropped them off just outside the jungle. It was impossible to get any satellite footage from the jungle, something to do with its’ biochemistry. But they could see that a few rivers and creeks crossed through it quite close to their destination which was a tower to east of the jungle. The area was no mans’ land. There was no claim to it. It was fought over but never claimed.

It looked to be like earths environment but Baker wasn't taking any chances and kept his helmet on. His companion [blank] on the other hand took his off, of course.

“put your mask back on.” baker demanded

“calm down it looks like earth so the air must be breatheable.” chuck said

“loo-

“you best remember who my father is,” chuck politely threatened .

They walked through the jungle barely affecting the terrain. it's atmosphere was unique; unfamiliar colors, sounds and smells were intense and vibrant. Triggering all sorts of neural responses woven into emotions beyond anything they had ever felt. The jungles ecosystem was more likely to assimilate foreign threats then to be affected by them.

The locals believed that the jungle was cursed. Often sending out criminals and the like to die within its’ haunting allure, and it led to a tower that was almost the tallest “man” made structure on the planet. It could see for miles around. They assumed it was empty. The barrage of scans they took of the planet showed that this tower was empty, but they were equipped for an encounter with silenced gear.

All types of insects with shimmering wings and colourful bodies danced from flower to flower. Often mating and/or attacking each other, when the fancy struck them. After all collecting pollen could get boring from time to time. There were a few that were wispy and barely held a humanoid shape and would float around them. Those ones had eye patterns on their wings which unnervingly would blink and look around as if they were real eyes.

They came a cross a creek which seemingly carved a path towards the end of the jungle. And the opening of the field where the tower was situated. Across the bank was a medley of berries. While baker was distracted chuck moved to the side with the berries and began to eat them. baker turned around and tried to flower up his anger.

“what the fuck are you doing?” baker asked in disbelief

“i'm hungry and your stingy as fuck with the rations” chuck replied with annoyance in his voice.

“those berries could be poisonous.”

”don't be stupid earth has berries to, I'll be fine.”

“your rational for needlessly risking your own life.” fighting back hysterics baker continued

is that the earth has berries to.” giggling a little

That's insane.”

“your just jealous of my genus.” chuck boasted.

They started following the creek while chuck would toss the freshest looking berries into his helmet while he followed Baker from a distance. There was still doubt in Bakers’ mind and he was relieved to have it. Too much certainty was dangerous; it made you complacent.

The jungle sounded alive birds chirping, branches swaying, and the bustling of the foliage. All this noise was making Baker uneasy; their enemies could come from any direction and they would not be prepared. chuck was having the time of his life eating his berries and whistling in tune with the forest.

Dusk crept into the equation as it heralded the coming of the night and the nocturnal. There wold be no sleep tonight. However, Baker decided that there was enough time for them to eat. Maybe rest a little bit. Their rations, rumoured to be grown in a vat, were full of protein and energy; refuelling their minds and bodies. It was arguably better then regular food. Almost even in taste. After awhile Baker realizd that [blank] had not eaten his allotment of food.

“i'm not hungry.” chuck said

“what? you were starving earlier.”

“the berries filled me up pretty good.” chuck

“still don't think you should have eating those-

-your still eating them.?!”

“get off my back man” chuck]” postured

“whatever.” “i don't give a shit.” Baker said closing the argument.

Their suits were very limited but they were still well equipped for night time travel. Chuck.

was still eating those berries with little concern about the night and visibility.

The jungle was silent. Except the wind which sounded like groups of wispy voices never lamenting alone. Chuck seemed comfortable with this atmosphere more eerie then the grave. The walk was uneventful beyond locating a river because of the unreliability of the previous creek they were following.

the river parted was bathed in the shadow of the tower the river continued they took out their climbing gear and began to ascend the tower. Baker went first and secured a route for chuck who struggled with the climb. but climbed better then most newcomers.

They had finally transcended to the top of the tower. Where they took out their gear. chuck sweating profusely pulled out his spotters gear; while Baker set up his sniper riffle too focused to pay much attention to chuck. He was in the zone. Baker was one of the fastest when it came to disassembling and reassembling all manor of fire arms.

As Baker came out of his zone he realized chuck condition

“shit you look sick.”

“lets make this quick” chuck said wiping the sweat from his brow

“i need to get back to the jungle.”

“i tol-

“ this is not the time.” chuck weakly scolded

They surveyed the area checking out the defences and the patterns of the guards. In a few minutes some unmarked cars would be showing up for an exchange of prisoners which were their targets. If at all possible they would wound a few on either side. But the guards were not to be wounded or killed. Even if they were shooting at them.

chuck choked something down but remained focused. Baker was uncertain about chucks condition. There was no doubt that chuck could make it through but how long after. He decided to figure all that out when the mission was done. They both settled down into their positions and waited for the convoy to arrive.

May 19, 2020 04:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.