2 comments

General

Dolly: Hello Fabian, how have you been? Feeling really low right now. I know that you use your platform to share what people have been through. Could you please highlight this issue of colorism? I attended an interview today. The panel took one look at my skin color and small derriere and I was no longer a candidate. I love my melanin, but it did little to help my case. They later hired a girl with a light complexion. When will this end?

Fabian: Hey Dolly, so sorry to hear what you have gone through. I will share your story on my platform and see what people have to say.


An hour later

Ann: Well, I can relate to what she’s going through. More often than not, I miss out on gigs because of my skin color. But it’s changing so I do see a bright future. Keep your fingers crossed.

Nelly: I also missed out on a job because I was not dark enough. It is a double-edged sword so you get what you get and you do not complain. It’s not like we light skins have the lion’s share in the market. Hello? Have you not seen black girls winning? SMH

Joan: Nelly, you need to be more sympathetic to her situation. Though I do support you! My man dropped me for this melanin queen a few months back. Still healing…hahah.

Penny: I will admit that it got to me so much that I lightened my skin. I feel much better now and have no problem going out and showing the world who I am now. Here are some pictures (uploads a picture of a black leg followed by another of a light leg). These are my before and after pictures.

Olivia: It’s all in your head Penny. We all have our insecurities. If you are willing to change who you are for some street cred, that is okay. But once you go down that road, there is no coming back. You will always be too thin, too thick, too dark, too light, too tall, too short, the list goes on. Embrace who you are and you will not pay much mind to the street chatter. Anyway, here is to wishing you love and happiness whatever direction you follow.

Jane: Could not agree with you more Olivia. It is a personal choice.


Fabian uploads all the reactions to his page.

Comments on Penny’s pic: Wow, you really have undergone a transformation.


In another group

Penny: (Using her real account, and not the pseudo): Hey Kimberley, have you seen what a man named Fabian has posted on his page? Methinks those are your legs. I would hate to see this information get in the wrong hands, wouldn’t you say so?


An hour later

Kimberley: Hey Fabian, where did you get those pictures you posted? Those are my photos which I uploaded to a secret site. Who gave them to you?

Fabian: Are you telling me that I posted your pictures without your permission? Wait; let me get to the bottom of this.


Fabian: Hey Penny, someone texted me that the pictures used on my page were not yours. Did you take the pictures from someone else?

Penny: Oh no, yes I did. I did not think much of it when I did so. All I wanted was to show you the transformation. I had no idea that I was infringing on someone else’s rights. I am sorry.

Fabian: I hope that you see how this change affects your credibility.

Penny: I do and I am truly sorry. I could not use my pictures and I thought nothing of the legs. After all, how will someone connect the images to a person? I realize my fault in this.

Fabian: Thank you for acknowledging your mistake. I will deal with it. Next time, you can share your story without adding pictures if you will not use original photos.


Fabian: Hello Kimberley, my source has admitted that the pictures are not theirs. I am sorry about this.

Kimberley: A sorry alone will not cut it. I need the name of your source.

Fabian: I am sorry. I cannot give you the name of the source, even though it is a pseudo account. I would be putting someone’s reputation at risk. Can we just let it go? I have already posted on my page that the pictures do not belong to my source. The most I can do is remove the pictures from the page.

Kimberley: I have warned you, Fabian! Take down the pictures and name your source or you will get what’s coming to you.

Fabian: You are warning me? Well, I would like to see how far this goes as you are not willing to be reasonable here. I have already pointed out my source’s mistake and have gone ahead to fix the same.


In the skin lightening group

Kimberley: Hello ladies, we have a problem in our midst. One of the members in our skin lightening group has shared my photos without my permission. There is a man known as Fabian and he has splashed the images on his page for all and sundry. Let us report this man so that the site can take down his page. Here is his handle (attaches said handle). Let’s get to work ladies until he reveals his source.

Faith: Let’s do this!

Amana: Wait a minute. All this work for pictures? He has not revealed your identity yet. Let us play it cool.

Diana: I agree with you Amana. If we blow this out of proportion, we will be the losers.

Leah: Let us take him down!

Kimberley: If you are not with us, then you are against us!


Between members

Natalie: Hey babe, let us get out of this group before things get real. I think the plan is underway. Me and this pregnancy fatigue, I woke up to tens of messages an hour ago. I will probably sleep through the labor!

Toni: I could not have said it better. I have been trying to call you to log out for the past hour. Where have you been? I get it, though. My first trimester was not a walk in the park.


Three hours later

Fabian: My dear followers, we are under siege. People are reporting my page left, right and center. It is only right that I fight fire with fire. I will post the members of this group on my page. Here I go (posts some pictures. One of them shows Natalie before and after her transformation)


Kimberley: I warned you not to do this. Well, now you wait and see the wrath that befalls you.

Fabian: I am willing to go as far as you go.


Kimberley: Hey ladies, what kind of a man would call himself one if all he does is spread gossip? Can you call this a man? Look at him (posts Fabian’s photos on her group)

Terry: What man? Hahaha

Jill: Instead of posting his pictures, keep him from spilling the beans. Our livelihoods and families are at stake here. What the hell? It is not a time for jokes. This man is not leaving anything to chance.


Two hours later

Fabian: Behold, here is Kimberley, the lady behind all this drama (posts pictures of Kimberley before and after her lightening). She sells products used in lightening skin and has made a fortune from it. Her group members have also gained a lot from her ventures. It is not a wonder that they are coming at me with so much zest. Let them come!


Kimberley: Now you have gone too far! My members are threatening to destroy me. Take down the pictures now!

Fabian: Like I said, I will stop when you stop!


Natalie: Listen up! You started all this. Now my fiancé has seen my transformation photos. Watch where you sleep tonight because I am coming for you! He says that the wedding is off because I lied to him. I trusted you and you let the group go to hell because of a little dispute! I am coming for you!

Kimberley: I am so sorry. I am trying to calm the situation:

Natalie: Calming it will not give me my ring back. I do not need this. I am three months pregnant and the father of my baby just took off. Will you feed us? Will you pay for our rent? Your time is coming!

Kimberley: Natalie please…(Natalie goes offline)


Five hours later

Toni: Hey Kimberley, the ministry of health has started a campaign on the ban of your products. They contain harmful chemicals, so they say. They will raid your shops tomorrow morning. Stay safe and goodnight.

Kimberley: Oh no! What is happening?


The next morning

Dolly: Nice work girl! Kim’s shops are now a forgotten story. The landlord says we can rent the spaces at 75% of the price. My friend in government says that we can now get the products at half price. Talk about killing two birds with one stone. Where are you?

Penny: I am on my way to the post office. I will be with you in a few minutes to check the spaces. I cannot believe it worked. Girl, you are a lie! Let me link up with Natalie. She is a wreck. She seems to be the only loser in all this.

Dolly: What do you mean the only loser? Have you forgotten that Fabian lost his page overnight? Them hackers were good. How dare he try to blackmail us for $4000? Is he kidding me? Remind me to use them on my cheat of a boyfriend.

Penny: Girl!

Dolly: Girl! It goes to show you that you cannot wrong people and expect to win in the end.

Penny: The business idea was ours, to begin with. That wretched soul one-upped us.

Dolly: Stole it from us you mean! Let her claw her way out of this one. Toni is already here. Bring Nat with you and finally, we can get started on this journey. Much love!

Penny: (blows kisses)

March 24, 2020 14:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Fred Aiken
02:13 Apr 02, 2020

I felt a lot more confused than I think I should have been from reading this narrative.

Reply

Daisy Njeri
13:38 Apr 02, 2020

Why is that?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.