23 comments

Coming of Age Creative Nonfiction Drama

It’s December 2017, before CoVid, before Black Lives Matter, before the Trump administration was plagued by the worst of its scandals, and I’m in my cell in solitary confinement.

Solitary. Colloquial for administrative segregation, or prison housing for inmates who are having difficulty conducting themselves in a way that does not endanger their own or another prisoner’s safety or imperil institutional security. It’s Christmas, or near Christmas, and I’m expecting a visit. If things go as planned, I will meet with my mother—who has visited me every month for the past 36 months—in the visitation room, where, every weekend, about thirty inmates meet with their loved ones to share food from vending machines, memories ensconced in synapses, and hopes that, for many, seem unlikely in their remoteness.

Prison seems like a lifetime ago. As crazy as it may sound, I made it to the penitentiary because I wanted to be there. I spent three years at New Folsom near Sacramento, California, as a result of a year-long stay at Atascadero State Hospital that was marked by constant misconduct. I did everything I could do to graduate from the department of state hospitals to a higher security environment. This included sharing chocolate with other patients and spitting shit at staff. Yes, I said “sharing chocolate” and “spitting shit.”

You see, Unit 4 at Atascadero was a unit for problem patients, mentally ill men who had a difficult time adjusting to the environment of a lockdown psychiatric institution and resorted to physical aggression as a coping mechanism. I had been transferred to Atascadero from Patton State Hospital for not behaving while confined to a seclusion room at the latter institution. I was on 1-to-1 observation during my last two months at Patton. I was placed on this extremely patronizing form of supervision because I had gotten into an altercation with a psychiatric technician who had not allowed me to change the television in the dayroom—even after I had taken a vote asking all the patients present whether a channel change was okay and they had agreed that, yes, in fact, it was. 

The psychiatric technician, whose name I forget, but whose physical appearance and ethnicity I do not—he was tall, black, bespectacled and African—did not accept the results of the vote and demanded that the television stay on a channel broadcasting sports. According to a rule that was not official and was not written unofficially anywhere in ink, the PT—contemporary acronym for “orderly”—explained that only athletic events could be watched on the dayroom TV. My request for the channel check was apparently out of order. I became even more disorderly in response to what I perceived to be institutional imbecility: I stood up, walked over to a 32-gallon plastic trash can, removed its lid, emptied the trash can onto the floor, then, when he approached me, hit the African staff with the plastic lid. 

Psych techs get training in how to take volatile patients down, so it didn’t take long before I hit the floor, head first. Before I could say Happy Kwanzaa in Swahili, a gang of other psych techs and assorted hospital staff were in the dayroom restraining me, and I was quickly escorted to a seclusion room where I was put in five-point restraints: ankles, wrists and upper torso bound to a metal-framed bed. A spit mask was placed over my head as well, since I wanted to keep fighting despite being restrained and the only possible way to do so was to expectorate at anyone within spitting distance.

Shortly before this episode, a patient I considered a friend back then asked me to hold a pack of Kool cigarettes and a sock full of change for him while we were out on our daily yard break. Even though Patton is a lockdown psychiatric facility, contraband, like cigarettes, illegal drugs, and liquor, finds its way in. Often, it’s the same staff that observes you on a 1-to-1, or checks your mouth to make sure you’ve swallowed your pills during med pass, that brings the contraband into the facility. “How,” you ask, “does that happen?” The simple and unsatisfactory answer is that some patients just have a way with words, and some staff have a difficult time saying no to money, even if it comes in the form of socks full of quarters normally used for hospital vending machines. Other staff are just pushovers who can’t say no to madmen who are handsome, flirtatious, or sometimes, both. 

After the contraband and quarters were discovered on my person, it was assumed that they were mine and the supervisor of the unit I was on told me I had just extended my stay at Patton for at least another year as a result of this most egregious infraction against hospital rules.  Since I had previously been told by my doctor that I could expect to be out within a month, I lost my shit and started acting out. The sorry excuse for an attack on the African psych tech supervising the day room who hadn’t allowed me to change the television channel marked the beginning of a long string of incidents that got me transferred from Patton to Atascadero where I ended up on the notorious Unit 4, a unit run in a draconian fashion for purposes of correcting unruly patients of their impertinent ways.

One of the rules on Unit 4 (Unit Inferno as I now term it) was that the sixteen patients couldn’t turn around in their seats in the small dayroom to address or talk to each other. Another was that patients couldn’t let their pants sag. Sharing food, even giving away your hospital meal or coffee if you didn’t want it, was likewise prohibited. 

Having gone from the relatively relaxed Patton frying pan to the rigid Atascadero fire, I quickly grew tired of Unit 4’s disciplinarian ways. One afternoon after having ordered a Hershey's bar from the hospital canteen, I decided I would give the rules against sharing and its enforcers the stiff middle finger, and after receiving my canteen order, took the chocolate bar, broke pieces off and shared with every patient on Unit Inferno.  

My nefarious deed was discovered and I was asked to stand against a wall to be frisked for what little remained of the chocolate. When I began resisting, I was forcibly tackled, then taken to a seclusion room and put in restraints. This incident marked the beginning of a personal war that I waged against all of the disciplinary and some of the treatment staff working Unit Inferno. 

Conventional fighting availed me of little. I was always outnumbered and outmatched by psych techs and hospital police officers, and what should have been a three month stay became a year-long ordeal during which I repeatedly demanded to be sent to prison and was placed in restraints more times than I care to remember, once for a continuous fourteen days—complete with diaper and catheter.

My agonizing frustration at the situation culminated when I did the unimaginable, even by most crazy person standards, and took a piece of my own shit, put it in my mouth, went to the dayroom and proceeded to spit it at one of the attending staff. Needless to say, I was put in restraints again, but my threats to keep doing the inhuman deed, particularly against the attending psychiatrist, convinced the treatment team to grant me my wish of going to the penitentiary. 

So, there you have it: how I went from sharing chocolate to spitting shit, and to getting to California’s Department of Corrections from the state hospital system.

Prison seems like a lifetime ago and on that Christmas or close to Christmas morning in 2017, before I saw my mother, which was also before CoVid, before Black Lives Matter and before the worst scandal of the Trump presidency, I did a Buddhist prayer in my cell, a prayer in four parts, including reclining, kneeling, sitting, and walking meditations, where I asked the divine creator of all prophets, wise men, saints and saviors, including Buddha, King Solomon, Jesus, Mohammad, and Pema Chodron to grant me an acceptable reincarnation, one where in my next life I’d be given joys I had been denied in this one, a life in which I’d not spend a single day locked up in a forensic hospital, jail, or prison, a life where I'd dutifully serve friends and family, like my mother had served me in this incarnation.

Shalom Aleichem, All life matters, Allah u Akbar, and Namasté.  

December 30, 2022 17:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Delbert Griffith
22:39 Jan 03, 2023

As usual, this is fucking great. What certain types of institutions do to people is horrific, but it seems that we just can't help ourselves: people in psych wards and prisons MUST be treated like animals. I feel like that this is so because too many people in these institutions don't want help or rehabilitation, so it's assumed that everyone doesn't want help or rehabilitation. I also wonder why you are such a resounding success story. You're out, you write masterfully, and you don't seem to hold grudges against a society that treated you ...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
23:07 Jan 03, 2023

I thank you and I blush, Delbert. If my story could help others sympathize with both the sides - those locked up and those who make a living trying to make sure inmates and the mentally ill survive confinement - I'd be more than grateful. And, yes, I went from not giving a flying f to honestly desiring rehabilitation. This was despite the fact that I felt tremendous pressure, particularly while awaiting trial in jail, to keep on not giving a damn about the consequences of my behavior. Thanks again, and as always, for reading and comm...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
10:26 Jan 03, 2023

I've said this a 1000 times before on this site, but for the sake of doing it 1001 times, here goes: The best stories - fiction, nonfiction, or otherwise - should make you feel something (other than apathy and indifference). And boy, did this make me feel a LOT of things. I never know how to address stories tagged Creative Nonfiction, whether to call the protagonist narrator or to use "You," but let's go with the former here and say that this narrator's honesty really sold this story for me. I was, over the course of reading this, angry, un...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
17:04 Jan 03, 2023

Zack, I'm pleased that this piece elicited feelings from you. That should be an aim of most writing - others being to provoke thought, spark conversation, and (in an ideal world) initiate action. I'm not certain if the goal of my creative nonfiction is to generate anger at "the system," I think there's far too much of that already. Society needs places of confinement like it needs education. Calls to do away with or reform either (or both) are often knee-jerk reactions to stories such as mine, but I'm not certain we would be better off i...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:03 Jan 02, 2023

An intense read. What really got me - what got the blood boiling - was "Another was that patients couldn’t let their pants sag". That whole section. The TV thing. The food sharing ban. Basically, the arbitrary rules. Yeah, some rules make sense - in a hospital, and perhaps more so in a prison. There's good arguments for safety here. But the arbitrary stuff? It's not hard to see why people might rebel at that, and lash out. If the idea is to help people get better - and yes, of course, you can only help people get better if they actually wa...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:10 Jan 03, 2023

Yes, the arbitrary rules were at times as maddening as the madness itself. "One month left" actually turned into several more months at Patton, a year at Atascadero, three at New Folsom, and another in jail waiting for trial deliberations. So, yes, truly unsettling, but no reason for reform advocates to call for mass deinstitutionalization. The narrator did his time and has no regrets about his confinement. The rebel acts he engaged in were partially to blame for the additional time added to his indeterminate sentence. Thanks for read...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
00:06 Dec 31, 2022

The whole TV thing sounds like a baffling and pointless power play on their part; worse, one that leads to contentious behavior because of the intolerable ridiculousness of it. I hope you are in a better place with your Christmases now, and finding at least some of the peace and joy that you sought to give and receive.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
03:42 Dec 31, 2022

Oh, Wendy. Power plays and intolerable ridiculousness are two good phrases that describe much of what goes on in California's institutions of confinement. I am in a better place now certainly, but carry much baggage that I've picked up as a result of institutionalization. I need to work a good deal on my ability to give joy, because I receive it abundantly from my closest relatives and acquaintances. Thanks for reading and I feel fortunate to have you as one of my regular commentators.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:43 Dec 31, 2022

Thank you, Mike, and I look forward to your entries every week, so thank you for continuing to write. :) It sounds like prisons aren't the only things in desperate need of reform (meaning, mental health facilities, too, and badly!).

Reply

Mike Panasitti
04:37 Dec 31, 2022

I believe prisons and mental health facilities operate with the best of intentions. If inmates and patients were to respond with similar intentions it would make institutional life more bearable for all involved. The call for reform often comes from people who don't realize that a patient or inmate has to honestly desire to be rehabilitated for rehabilitation to work, and this isn't always (I'd go so far as to say most often isn't) the case. Congratulations on being shortlisted several weeks ago. I'll make sure to read that posting soo...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:42 Dec 31, 2022

Oh wow, I would love to hear more about that sometime, possibly in email if you are comfortable about it (or in a posting, if you are really comfortable about it). Not to put you on the spot, of course. I work for an 501c3 with leanings to push reform, and that is the first time I've heard an opposing viewpoint. Of course, few of them have ever personally experienced incarceration, as is often the case. Thanks for the congrats! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
22:28 Dec 30, 2022

“ did not accept the results of the vote,” was he a ‘not my president’ guy? The stuff with the drugs sounds like something from Orange is the New Black. This is a hell of an up and down take. You paint the unimaginable vividly. I hope you’re doing well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Detti
20:40 Oct 03, 2023

Gosh this is a hard read Mike but incredibly moving and wish you well. You are a fantastic writer and wish you well!

Reply

Mike Panasitti
23:42 Oct 03, 2023

Thank you, Rebecca. Writing helps with wellness.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
20:46 Mar 04, 2023

It never ceases to amaze me the dehumanising effect instructions have on people who with the right support might find a way out of their difficulties and move forward to be able to live positive lives which you have done. A powerfully written and moving piece.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
00:33 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks for reading this one, Helen. But I'm honestly of the opinion that most people confined in institutions largely dehumanize themselves and each other. The mindset of the average locked-up criminal is such that "support" is only offered if there is something to gain from the person being supported. And "support" seems to always entail willingness to be violent or provide contraband, etc. Most staff I encountered while confined (even correctional officers) were far more humane than patients or inmates who were locked up with me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
08:12 Jan 10, 2023

This is very dark honest stuff. I don’t know what to say. I hope yoy are doing ok now. Did it help you, going through all of that? Or was it something you just havf to leave behind?

Reply

Mike Panasitti
14:03 Jan 10, 2023

I wouldn't say it helped going through what I did, but at the time, it seemed like an inescapable course of action. I can leave details behind, but the overall experience I'll always carry with me. Writing about it definitely helps me comes to terms with it. Thanks for reading and commenting. Are we ever going to see a story from L M?

Reply

L M
07:44 Jan 11, 2023

I dont think so. Maybe some day though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
00:33 May 31, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Mike Panasitti
02:04 May 31, 2023

I was doing stuff in my 30s that I should have gotten out of my system in my teens. I did tough it out, but I brought some rough times on myself and can gratefully say I've matured considerably in the last few years. Thanks for reading and commenting, Joseph.

Reply

Unknown User
20:57 Jun 05, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Mike Panasitti
21:46 Jun 05, 2023

Thanks, Joseph. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.