2 comments

Romance Sad

 They sat on the beach and watched as the sun seemed to just rise up out of the shimmering lagoon, It was one of the most spectacular sun rises that Sarah had witnessed.


Even though they had just met, it seemed as though they had known each other their entire lives. They had spent the night dining and dancing. They got so caught up in each others stories that before they knew it, they found themselves sitting on the beach holding each other and kissing.


******


Sarah arrived at the Resort Hotel around noon, checked in and was now resting in her room after unpacking. She was admiring the crystal blue lagoon with its white sandy beach from her ninth floor balcony, when she heard a disturbance in the hallway. She took a look out her peep-hole and saw a handsome man arguing with the manager as the bell hop stood there holding the mans luggage. Ted made it to the Resort around one pm and when he tried to check in he was told that the room he wanted had been given to a honeymoon couple. He had booked the Penthouse Suite some six weeks prior so the Hotel manager offered him a room on the ninth floor at a discounted price and he reluctantly accepted.


“Cut the crap!” he yelled. “I booked that room six weeks ago.”


“We are very sorry Mr. Ross,” the manager insisted. “Our computer glitched and it lost most of our booking information. We recovered only seventy five percent of the reservations. The married couple arrived yesterday and we truly thought the room was available so we let them have it.”


“And my confirmation receipt wasn’t good enough?” he yelled. “Now I see how it is.”


“Please sir,” the manager offered. “They are already settled in and you are getting this room for half price with un-limitted room service. And we extend our dining room to you for half price as well.”


“Okay,” Ted grumbled. “This room isn’t half bad. Let the newlyweds have their vacation.”


“Yes,! The manager said. “The hotel thanks you for your understanding. And anytime you want to return, we will make it up to you.”


“Yeah,” he said and entered his room.


Sarah could hear him as he put his things away. She heard him open his terrace door so she waited a few seconds and then went out on her terrace and sat in her lounge chair. Ted stepped out about a minute later. He glanced over and saw her. He just stared. Sarah looked up and turned her gaze in his direction and met his eyes. They were as blue as the lagoon. They stared at each other for an awkward few moments and then Sarah looked out at the water.


“Sorry about that,” he stated. “And I’m sorry if you had to hear that discussion in the hallway.”


“That’s okay,” she offered. “I probably would have reacted the same way if the hotel would have lost my reservations as well. I’m used to the yelling too. I come from a big family. I have six brothers.”


“My name is Ted Ross,” he offered. “And for what it’s worth; I have four sisters.”


“Sarah Jacobson,” she offered. “Nice to meet you Ted.”


“Like wise Sarah,” he said as he looked out over the glass calm waters of the lagoon. “This place always excites me.”


“Oh. So you have been here before than?” she asked.


“Every year at this time for the past ten years now,” he replied. “You?”


“This is my first time out of Iowa,” she offered. “And I could get used to this though.”


“What city?” he asked.


“Huh?” Sarah said.


“In Iowa?” he asked. “What city in Iowa? I’m from Des Moines.”


“Oh! Cedar Rapids,” she answered.


“Practically neighbors,” he commented. “Small world.”


“I guess,” she agreed. “And yes, it would seem so.”


“I’m not usually so bold,” he started. “But would you like to get something to eat? My breakfast seems to have worn off.”


“Now that you mention it. So has mine,” she agreed and then laughed.


They freshened up and twenty minutes later they met up in the lobby. Ted hailed a cab and they rode to a local spot, away from the Resort and tourist traps. They enjoyed a fine mid day lunch and they spent the afternoon seeing the sites before heading back to their hotel.


“I had a good time,” Ted commented when they got back to the hotel.


“So did I,” Sarah remarked. “We’ll have to do it again soon.”


“I’d love that,” he agreed. “I’ll be here for another ten days. I’m sure that we’ll have plenty of time to get together.”


“Me too,” she offered as they entered their respective rooms.


Sarah was still a little tired because she had gotten up at four am so that she could make the seven am flight out of Iowa and down to Cancun. She stayed in and ordered room service. She heard Ted leave around eight pm. She took a shower and then went to bed, hopefully she would be well rested by morning. Her dreams were of Ted that night. She had boyfriends in the past. But never had she had as erotic a dream as she had that night. Suffice it to say, she woke up wet. After she showered she headed down to the dining room for breakfast.


She had a list of the places that she wanted to visit so she struck out after she had eaten. She spent the day seeing the sites on her list. When she got back to the hotel Ted flagged her down just as she was crossing the lobby to get on the elevator to go up to her room.


“Hey Sarah,” he said. “You want to have dinner with me tonight?”


“Okay Ted,” she replied. “What time?”


“How about I swing by at seven?” he asked. “I know a wonderful place off the tourist route.”


“Okay Ted. I’ll be ready,” she stated and then she got on the elevator and headed up to her room to get ready.


Sarah spent some time with Ted while she was on her vacation and before they left Cancun to go back home they had exchanged their information. Several days had passed after Sarah got home when she received a text from Ted. He said that he was going to be in Cedar Rapids for the upcoming weekend and wondered if she wanted to meet him somewhere. She agreed to the meeting and gave him the location of a prominent landmark where they could meet.


They met up and had lunch. They chatted more and Sarah could feel herself falling in love with Ted.


“Say Sarah. My company is setting up a new office here in Cedar Rapids,” he explained. “This means that we can see more of each other. That is if it’s okay with you.”


“Yeah. I wouldn’t mind that one bit,” she stated.


“I’m glad because I like you a lot,” he confessed. “I have since our chance meeting in Cancun. I hope that I’m not to forward but I was wondering if you wanted to be my girlfriend?”


“I wouldn’t mind that either,” she said. “I have to confess Ted. I like you more than a lot too.”


They kissed and in the coming weeks; Ted transferred to Cedar Rapids and set up shop in the company’s new location. As luck would have it he found a place that was only a couple of miles from Sarah’s apartment as well. They became a couple and plans were made for a wedding. After only eighteen months from the time they met, they would be husband and wife.


Ted was at work one day when two police officers entered his office.


“Mr. Ross? Ted Ross?” one of them asked.


“Yes. What can I do for you officers?” he asked.


“We regret to inform you but there has been a terrible accident and Sarah Jacobson has been killed,” he explained.


Ted fell to the floor and cried out, “No.” The police officer explained as best he could what had happened and then asked him if he would be okay before they left. He told them that he would. Ted left the office and took a cab and rode for several miles before he stopped the driver and got out. He paid the fare and started walking. He was sitting in the park that had become their favorite spot to decompress after a hectic week of work.


He wept for hours, the sun had long since set. He sat there by the bank of the small lake staring at the full moons reflection off the surface.


“Sarah would have loved this…” he said.



November 20, 2020 02:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Judith Buskohl
19:46 Nov 26, 2020

I really enjoyed your story until the sad end. I like happy endings. Keep up the good job on your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:52 Nov 30, 2020

Hey, Lonnie! Wow! This was fast-paced, and I liked it. In few words, you showed how Ted and Sarah loved each other. It was very sweet until the upsetting end. It was a quick twist, so I feel like you could've eased into it a bit more. Also, be careful with grammar. That's a struggle every writer deals with. Other than that, this was perfection. *chef's kiss* -Brooke D. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.