0 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Drama

   It was summer time hot and humid. I was very young about 12 or 13 years old. I lived in the city. I spent most of my days at the park or at the pool. But, I longed to be away from traffic, and hot pavement, and so many people. These are only some of the problems of growing up in the city. Is it any wonder I could not wait for camp to arrive. I always enjoyed those two weeks in the country, up north to leave the metropolis behind. I think it’s important for kids to have an outlet in the summer time. Some place to go and be surrounded by nature and all it’s glory. The things you learn being close to nature are priceless. You don't take being in the country for granted when you spend you're summers in the city

   Like most city kids I was out of touch with nature and wildlife. I longed for a long stroll in the woods where you only here the birds chirping. Or a seat at a big camp fire roasting marshmallows and singing songs. That’s why I think it’s important for kids to go and experience camp. It can change a child’s outlook on the world. Not to mention having a deeper appreciation of our planet, and how important it is to protect it.

   The time for camp had arrived. I was to go the first two weeks of August. How I had been looking forward to getting out of the city. At the camp, I went to, there was a rigorous schedule for the campers every morning. It consisted of breakfast about 8:30 am then we cleaned our cabin for the day. Meals were a lot of fun and there was a lot of camaraderie at this time. Two of the campers got to be a hopper which means bringing to the table the food. We would each relish the time of being a hopper for it was fun supplying the table with the campers needs. 

   Mornings were full of activities. After the inspection of our cabin came swimming lessons. The mornings were cold up north so you can imagine swimming in the frigid lake. To be honest though it’s there I learnt my strokes. There was the Crawl: which I already new somewhat how to do but, I perfected it at camp. There was also the breast stroke which I learnt at camp. Learning these swimming techniques was good for me. I’d earn Red Cross Badges when I was at a certain level in swimming.

   After swimming came boating lessons. There were two kinds of boats. Row boats and Canoes: I took to canoeing and excelled at it. Before long I was a stern and steering the canoe from the back. Canoeing came quite naturally to me and I felt very peaceful on the water in the morning gliding in my canoe. You can tell the Indians built the canoe because it is so in touch with nature and the water. It seems to not disturb things but gently goes on its journey.

   One morning it was time for canoe lessons and we were suppose to pick a partner. No one wanted to go canoeing with this girl who was slightly overweight. I felt bad for her, so I said she could be my partner in the canoe. It was a beautiful morning and the water was calm and smooth. We headed out in our canoes two by two. There were some Row boats on the water as well. Suddenly the weather began to change when we were about in the middle of the lake. The sky got dark and the waves were almost at the mouth of the canoe. The water was rough and it was not possible to steer the boat. This all happened very quickly within 10 minutes the sky was dark and the waves were rough.

   My partner began to panic and she was desperately trying to turn the canoe around to head back to camp. She was crying and I told her to stop paddling! I did not want the boat to tip over. I said “put the paddle in the boat and let’s get as low as we can in the canoe.” I also said “ Let’s let the boat drift to any shore and let’s stop paddling”! She reluctantly did what I said and we drifted on the water for quite some time. We could see other boats stranded like us drifting on the water. I felt like crying too. But, couldn’t because she was already crying and you cannot have two people out of control in an emergency.

   We did eventually reach the other shore. We just sat there until the speed boat came to get us. I had never seen a storm like that come out of nowhere before. But, It just goes to show you weather can change quite rapidly. At camp people were upset and my sister was crying; thinking I was going to drown in the storm. We made it back to camp in time for lunch. Everyone applauded us when we entered the mess hall. I was shaken by the events of the morning but still enjoyed canoeing. When free swim came around I was not in the mood to go in the water so I had to skip it.

   You have to be careful were you send you’re children to camp. I was prepared for that emergency because of all the training I got in boating. But a lot of accidents happen. On a canoe trip at another camp, a number of campers and counselors died due to hypothermia. There boats cap sized and they were in the water too long.

   I learned a lot at camp. Survival is one of the skills they impart to you during you’re regular activities. I’m fortunate I went to a good camp that took safety in the water seriously. I also learned socializing skills from being around kids my age, and eating, and sleeping, with them in the same cabin. My counselors were nice and well trained; so it was a joy to be around them.

   One of the gifts you get from being a camper is an appreciation for nature. As you get older it makes you an advocate for the protection of the planet. Also, you take climate change seriously. I’d be a different person, if it weren’t for those two weeks a year I spent at camp. I’m glad I got the opportunity to go!

June 21, 2021 16:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.