Will Work for Peanuts

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Write a story told from the point of view of an animal.... view prompt

15 comments

Adventure Friendship Contemporary

Will Work for Peanuts



“Go!”


At the familiar command, I skitter out the doorway of the carrier. I pause, sniffing in the crepuscular gloom. Low light doesn’t faze me; my singular sense of smell will be my guide.


There’s the sharp, cold smell of crushed concrete; the tanginess of metal; the sweet, slightly musty fragrance of splintered wood.


I need to block out most of what my nose is perceiving. What I’m searching for is life. Warmth, sweat, maybe blood.


“Over there – go on!” You point with your flashlight and give me a helpful nudge. 


There’s a tension in your voice that hasn’t been there in previous sessions. Excitement, yes — I’ve heard that before, particularly when you realized I was catching on to what we do. But this time, there’s real urgency. Your energy transmits itself to me, making my sparse tail hairs stand on end. 


Darting forward, I employ my superior sensory abilities. My nose twitches, my whiskers splay to measure the space around me. Rounded ears cupped forward, I strain to hear anything relevant to my task.


Ahead, dimly visible, is a mess of devastation; fractured timbers lean crazily against piles of concrete chunks and beams of twisted metal. The air is heavy with choking clouds of dust. The team has done a spectacular job setting this scene.


And they’re still working at it. Buzzing drills, banging hammers, and shrieking saws talk over the voices of the people. I’ve been trained to ignore it and focus on my job.


Squeezing into a dark crevice, I follow my nose and flatten my delicate ears. I have to go almost entirely by smell now; the beam of your light does not penetrate this insalubrious umbra.


My path constricts, blocked by some indiscernible piece of debris. I’m not sure I can squeeze through. My body, unfettered, could do it – but I am unnaturally encumbered.  


Compressing myself as much as possible, I change my angle of approach. Now the vest shouldn’t catch on whatever it is that surrounds me.


It’s my first time wearing this new, low-profile model. With the older one, there would’ve been no chance of squeezing through.


Somewhere in the pitch black beyond, there is someone waiting for help. I press on, knowing that you’ll compensate me for my work. 


I get paid peanuts for this. Literally, peanuts. And sometimes bananas. 


This session is particularly challenging, so I anticipate a special treat. You’re always kind. You’ve spent hours working with me. Teaching me, and rewarding me for learning well.


I sniffle and shuffle farther into the mountain of rubble, sneezing from the particles of gritty dust. Ahead, there’s a more open area. And the smell of human. This is what I’m looking for.


There’s a foot — or at least, a shoe — suddenly before me. Sometimes the team places such items as decoys, so I know I must investigate. I find a pant leg, and the warmth emanating from it assures me I’ve discovered my target. A live human.


I scurry up the leg, feeling the scratching of my claws against the grain of the heavy fabric. I can’t hear it; there’s too much ambient noise. 


Arriving at the belt, I pause for a second before leaping forward to the rise of the stomach.


“Uh!” grunts the man I’ve found, flinching as he spots me. “Rat!” he wheezes.


Technically, I’m not. I’m a distant cousin, a muroid rodent from the family Nesomyidae. But even you call me a rat. It’s easier. I don’t mind, as long as you keep those treats coming.


The man is flat on his back, crooking his neck awkwardly in order to observe me. If he could, I think he would swat me away, but his arms are pinned by an object that lies across his midsection. His head flops back down with a soft thunk.


Usually, I’m received with a little more enthusiasm. The crew takes turns being the target, and they expect me to find them. This one seems entirely unprepared and even displeased to see me.


What have I done wrong?


I hope I haven’t forfeited the peanuts.


Thinking of the expected payment for my services, I realize that I can’t keep sitting on this guy’s belly. There's something more I need to do. 


Twisting my head to one side, I grab the toggle on the shoulder of my vest. My long teeth yank it firmly until it beeps, three short bursts.


There’s a bit of static, and then I hear your voice.


“Good work! Forward.”


I pick my way cautiously, using my long tail to help me grip and balance. My greatest fear at this moment is that the man will somehow manage to flail his arm and knock me down. His head is cocked toward me again, chin on chest. He's staring, goggle-eyed. Was he truly not expecting me?


I creep along, straight up the placket of his shirt, using the buttons as footholds, and stop in the center of his chest. He’s transfixed. 


The microphone crackles.


“Hello,” you say, addressing him. “Are you able to speak, sir?”


He moves his mouth soundlessly, opening and closing it several times. I realize he’s staring at the blinking green LED on my vest. Does he think the voice is mine?


“Yes,” he rasps faintly. Closing his eyes, he lets his head rest on what used to be the floor. He’s putting on a good act, this one.


“We have the coordinates of your location. We’re sending rescuers, and will now call back our agent.” You transmit the special tone that means I’m to return to you. 


Before heading back, I stand, teetering on my hind legs — thankful once again for my tail. The man feels the movement and opens his eyes again. I raise a paw in salute. That’s the first trick you ever taught me. 


I’m on my way! 


The return trip is relatively easy. I follow my own scent trail, traveling as lickety-as-I-can-split, until I come to the tight spot that gave me trouble earlier.


From this direction, the angle is even more problematic. I go flat against the floor, slick back my whiskers, pin my ears tightly to my head, and push with my haunch muscles. The vest scrapes on both sides — but I’m through!


I trot along, nose to the ground, making my way back to you. And peanuts. Or… maybe this exercise is even worth a banana. 


There’s the exit! I sprint forward, squinting in the comparative brightness. 


When you reach down and scoop me up, I snuffle eagerly at your neck. You remove my slightly abraded vest and hold out a handful of peanuts.


“Stuff your cheeks, Buddy! Peanuts now — bananas later.”


🐀 


You keep your word.


I’m relaxing in my carrier, savoring the perfectly ripe, ambrosial fruit while you chat with your colleagues. My colleagues too, I guess.


A woman I’ve never seen before joins the conversation. I don’t recognize her voice, and she smells unfamiliar. She talks with her hands, gesturing and pointing. You bend down and peek through the mesh at me.


“He wants to meet you. The man you found.”


You lift my carrier and follow the woman. I give up on eating the banana as we jounce along.


The man looks better than when I last saw him. He’s sitting up, wrapped in a blanket, with a bandage on his head. He smiles at you and extends a hand from beneath the blanket.


“Pardon the left-handed shake. The other one’s sprained.”


You laugh, extending your own left hand.


“I’m used to working with lefties. Buddy here favors his left paw.’


“Oh — did he injure it?”


“No, no, I mean he prefers it. He’s a southpaw. He came through the rescue unscathed.”


“And I’m grateful. He’s a plucky fella. Now, I want to know about the rescue operation. How have you trained a rat to do what he did?”


“Rats are highly intelligent, curious, and social. Their small size, keen sense of smell, and willingness to help make them ideal first responders. 


“And this,” you announce, pulling my vest from your pocket, “is the very latest technology; a 3D printed vest with a tiny video camera, a two-way microphone, and an inertial measurement unit to track Buddy’s course.”


I don’t know what all those things mean, but he seems to understand.


“That’s what he was wearing when he found me?” He shakes his head. “Incredible!” 


He chuckles. “To be honest, I was a little bit disgusted when he climbed up my leg. And then I thought he was talking to me, which made me wonder if I was hallucinating!”


He hesitates before asking, “…Can you… take him out and introduce him properly? I didn’t give him a very good reception when he found me.”


You unzip the door. “Come on out, Buddy!”


I scuttle to the opening, blinking in the light, and jump to the man’s lap. He extends his good hand palm upward, tentatively — and this time I’m not afraid he’ll swat me. I bump his hand with my nose, asking for a scratch behind the ears.


“Friends?” He smiles.


Yes. Friends.

December 15, 2022 05:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

01:27 Dec 22, 2022

What kept me reading was trying to figure out what kind of animal the story featured. A rat. They are very intelligent. Very interesting story. Happy ending. You included so many extra details in the dialogue. All questions were answered. Except was it an earthquake? A collapsed building? Not sure.

Reply

Cindy Strube
21:50 Dec 26, 2022

I enjoy writing characters with veiled identities. Usually animals. This concept intrigues me, and I had fun with Buddy. I chose to leave it somewhat open-ended as to what caused the need for search and rescue. Most likely earthquake! : ) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
02:24 Dec 20, 2022

Hi Cindy, your exciting tale is that not only are these concepts plausible, but they may someday be reality. We know rats are intelligent, and we also know they can squeeze through almost anywhere, which always astounds me. I enjoyed your diction and learned a few new words, so thank you. I am happier when I can read something that makes me work. The line that I felt was most relevant: "What have I done wrong? I hope I haven’t forfeited the peanuts." In these sentences, we see that the rodent thinks like humans who feel inadequate when t...

Reply

Cindy Strube
19:26 Dec 26, 2022

Hi Lily, Thanks so much for your thoughts! I apologize for the delay in responding… I enjoyed writing this story, getting into the mind and sensory perception of Buddy. I appreciate hearing “I learned something” from readers, because I love to learn new things as I read and write! Knowing the voice works, is also valuable input. I do like to use a broad spectrum of words, and yes, sometimes I have to tone it down a bit! I love words and language with all their nuances… so I felt like “jounce” was a little rougher than “bounce”. I do val...

Reply

Lily Finch
21:28 Dec 26, 2022

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi, Cindy! This story is so sweet. I immensely enjoyed it. The idea of a rat being a rescue animal is interesting, as well as possible, which makes this all the more entertaining. Buddy is doing his job, but he doesn’t really know that this time, it’s serious. I think that shows that the training has worked—he’s able to handle this situation with no problems. The way you wrote Buddy’s voice was very fun to read, and you really got me inside his mind. I did read the article. Thank you so much for providing the link! I’d already heard abo...

Reply

Cindy Strube
02:27 Dec 18, 2022

Hi Guadalupe! Thanks so much for your detailed comments, including the editing suggestions. I did remove the quotes, and reworked that sentence - a little differently, but I do think the flow is better than it was. I am fascinated by this concept of rescue rats, and just had to write about it! Really tickles me that you read it to your siblings. Thanks for telling me that. I’m always glad to pass along a new word. My mom sews a lot, so I grew up very familiar with plackets!😁 And Buddy is very grateful for the bonus!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
07:13 Dec 16, 2022

Hi Cindy, This is a heartwarming tale that forces us to do a bit of soul-searching. The writing is engaging and breezy. The reveal that it's a rodent, that comes up towards the mid-segment made me sit up and take note! I remember you writing earlier about a lesser-known creature. Kudos to you for featuring a humble protagonist again.

Reply

Cindy Strube
00:39 Dec 17, 2022

Thanks, Suma! I’m so glad when a story seems to flow, especially from a reader’s perspective. I was so taken by this project, I just had to write about it. And “heartwarming” is a rewarding adjective! : ) To me, it’s interesting and helpful to try imagining using the different senses (and also having a deficit or disadvantage in one or more).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:41 Dec 15, 2022

Lovely :) With a title like that, I knew it would be about an animal without even checking the prompt. Though, I did assume elephant, which maybe wouldn't fit this line of work. Rats, and rat adjacent creatures, don't get enough credit, do they? The rescuee embodies these attitudes, though he does change his mind later on. This had a charming voice, and I liked the focus on non-visual senses, which are appropriate for both the creature and the environment. The "talking rat" part was funny, a nice counter to the otherwise heavy situation ...

Reply

Cindy Strube
03:33 Dec 16, 2022

Ha! Elephants do have compassion, but — yeah, hard to picture such a lumbersome beast burrowing through rubble! I do like to write a veiled narrator. Usually animals. I read about the project, and “Oooh! Story!” Did some quick research, and then — tried to imagine being the animal. Sensory “visualization” (for lack of a better word) is helpful to me in both reading and writing, so I decided to smell my way through. For sure, rats & co. (along with other intelligent species) are often undervalued. This project (rat + tech) is fascinating to ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
14:30 Dec 15, 2022

This is so heartwarming! And a little shaming, at how we've treated them through the centuries. Loved this story, Cindy - so excellent!

Reply

Cindy Strube
20:17 Dec 15, 2022

Thanks - I’m glad you enjoyed it! I came across the article when browsing for story material related to animals, but unique - and found it fascinating. It’s another example of what could have been yesterday’s sci-fi. I need to read your backstory entry (which I missed) before reading your most recent. Hope to do that this evening, so expect a comment! ; )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
05:16 Dec 15, 2022

Read article for more details: www.cnn.com/2022/10/24/world/search-and-rescue-rats-apopo-hnk-spc-intl/index.html

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
15:01 Apr 08, 2023

Hey Cindy! Oh this tale was charming! My husband has always wanted to keep pet rats. I loved how you got us into this character’s perspective. Peanuts and bananas are plenty payment for me, too! This was such a creative way to help dispel some of the misconceptions about rats. I also loved how it had a kind happy ending. This one was great!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.