4 comments

Creative Nonfiction Sad Crime

Have you done wrong before, and even though you thought you fixed your mistake it's still not enough to change what you did wrong? I have, and because of my stupid mistakes I'm now on the run, constantly afraid of what will happen if I'm caught. My name is Archie, and I went from accomplice to murderer.

It wasn't planned, it just happened. My friend Chuck was known as a daredevil. He always did some kind of stupid stunt, or prank. He was wild. We used to hangout a lot. We lived in the countryside, plenty of meadows to play and run around in. Hills could be spotted here and there out in the field. We had the open fields to plant crops, build the majority of what we needed and saved on money for those rainy days when we wanted something expensive. Life was good. The children helped the adults with chores before running off to play in the woods, or near their houses. Some would be scavengers and would find all sorts of doohickeys out there in the woods. But there was one place we all knew to avoid: Merle's Haunted Cabin. Folks believed Merle had been doing some witchy stuff because of what happened there. Her family members were all possessed or something, and they ripped each other limb from limb. It was brutal, but afterwards no one cared to inhabit the cabin, leaving it abandoned. But that's not even the most important thing right now.

Chuck was the son of the mayor in our little community, and so he could pretty much get away with a lot of things. And being his best bud I used to be there with him when it happened. But after a while, Chuck's folks had another child, Sid. And because Chuck was now the oldest, he had more responsibility, mainly to look after his brother once he was old enough to start walking around and talking. Chuck used to come to me to complain about his brother, how he would follow him around, and try to copy everything Chuck did. Even the dangerous things. There were times when Sid followed us to the woods wanting to play with Chuck, and he would get hurt. When Chuck's parents found out Chuck wasn't watching Sid carefully he got scolded and was told to be more responsible for his brother. For Chuck, Sid was the worst thing that could've happened to him. He didn't want a little brother, he liked when it was only him. And so one day, he came to me saying he had enough. He was getting rid of Sid that way things could go back to normal. I tried to convince him otherwise. I told him, every big brother goes through this. It's normal to feel that way. And that he will eventually come to enjoy having a little brother follow him around. I mean, I certainly had wished for that myself. But.. that didn't help. Chuck only left unamused leaving me with, "If you like him so much why don't you take him as your little brother then."

He had fully intended to rid himself of Sid, and I, his accomplice, did nothing to stop him until it was too late. The next evening, Chuck and Sid approached me. He told me they were going to play in the woods and I was free to join them. Right then I felt a tad uneasy. I should've gone. I should've stopped him. I should've told someone, anyone. But instead I told him I had chores and that we'll play later. Sid looked at me with that smile that could make anyone's heart melt. Anyone who wasn't a monster. It was a long day for me, as I had finished the last of my chores. It wasn't until then that I noticed the commotion going around about Sid's whereabouts. Chuck had returned, but not with Sid. His parents questioned him, but Chuck played it off as if he really did get separated from Sid, saying they heard something and Sid ran off without him. It was at that moment I realized what he did. I confronted Chuck after we were alone while the adults looked for Sid.

"What did you do?" I demanded.

"I told you already Archie pal, I rid me of my troubles," Chuck told me with that crooked smile. "You should've seen him crying and pleading for me to stop. It was refreshing once his wailings had ceased. Now that he's gone, let's go play Archie. It's just me and you now."

It was at that moment a well of rage filled me. I didn't realized how he turn from being my best friend to this murderer. But I knew I had to do the right thing to avenge Sid's death. I had to stop Chuck.

"I'm going to tell them what you did Chuck, you've gone too far!" I told him outright.

"And then what, I'll get punished? What's done is done, buddy. Besides, if you were to go tell them it would imply you were aware of my plans to kill him as well therefore making you my accomplice. Do you really have the heart to go that far? You don't. Face it Archie, you and I are stuck with each other. His blood on my hands is just as much on yours!" Chuck's grin, grew to that of victory.

As if, because I was made into his accomplice, we were somehow tied together, in his eyes we probably were meant to be. But he had gone far, far too gone for me to stand by and do nothing. And while it was true, he made me into his accomplice. I still had to do something. I still had to get revenge for Sid. I knew I couldn't fight Chuck without some kind of advantage. He would kill me and probably make my death look like an accident. I had to get him when his guard was down. I had to..this was my only chance. Playing along with his insane idea I told him we could play now. Chuck was ever so happy to hear this. He gave me a hug with those hands he used to do who knows what to Sid. I had to force down any retorts or any hesitation for fear Chuck would catch on to me. I told him he should come over to my house. After all, with the adults searching the woods we wouldn't be able to do much out there. Chuck agreed with my thinking and followed me home. I invited that monster in and had him seated at the living room table. My house wasn't as great compared to what he was used to, but it had its own charm. The wood paint was chipped, and the floorboard creaked. It was small compared to most in our community, but it was enough for my family. I made me and Chuck some tea, to help settle our nerves. But what I didn't tell Chuck was that I added water hemlock to his. It's a poisonous plant part of the parsley family that we used to kill off vermin or at least scare them away. I added some to his tea as well as regular mint, to mask the flavor. When done preparing the tea, I brought it out and Chuck was smiling ever so happy, as if this was his happiest day. And it might've been, but it would also be his last. Setting the tea before him I sat across from him. He sniffed it, smelling the mint in it and his eyes lit with a curious gleam. He seems to be contemplating whether or not I poisoned it. My heart races, my mind trying hard to think of the next best thing if he doesn't drink it. Sipping my own tea, I tried to hide the nervousness in my own tone.

"It's mint.. My family owns a peppermint farm, remember?" I smile weakly trying to sound convincing.

Chuck says nothing as he stares at his drink.

Then he grins at me and says, "That's right as well as a few parsley families like hemlock and water hemlock, right?"

My eyes widened and Chuck downed the tea. I tried to stop him. Regretting everything in that instance. Chuck laughs with a wide smile, as he collapses in his seat and fell beside it. I rushed to his side crying and wanting him to amend the wrong he did, wanting him to apologize so we could make up already. But all he said to me was this:

"I didn't think you had it in you.. Archie, bud.. but now that you've poisoned me.. we're partners in crime till the end of time. You..and me…"

Coughing up blood, the color from his face drained as he grew weaker. And it was at that moment the adults were beginning to return from their fruitless search. I panicked and grabbed what I could. I ran away from home, from that small little town. I ran and ran till my legs could not carry me. And still till this day, I have carried this burden. The burden of not saving Sid, and for killing my best friend. Some part of me still believed Chuck could've changed. Could've made a different path, but instead I killed him. Instead I took that from him. I was no different than him. That is why, I will die with my secrets and his. I will die with the truth in hopes that one day we'll all meet again under the same sky. And I'll tell him how right he was about me.

Closing my eyes, I rest against a tree as my body is morphing gradually into a skeleton sleeping in the bushes of a belladonna patch. That is how my story ends.

The End.

November 07, 2022 23:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Helen A Smith
18:14 Nov 17, 2022

A good story. Made something really awful that could happen between children very believable. Also depicts the feelings of jealousy a sibling can have very well.

Reply

Ruby Pix
00:44 Nov 18, 2022

Yes! I wanted to capture that feeling and I'm so glad you think that way. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:24 Nov 15, 2022

I liked the foreshadowing of this line- ' Sid looked at me with that smile that could make anyone's heart melt. Anyone who wasn't a monster.'

Reply

Ruby Pix
05:46 Nov 15, 2022

Ruby: aww thank you. My mom liked it as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.