41 comments

Thriller Mystery Gay

The night had been foggy with shadows lurking in the corners; spirits among the mist. The streets lamps had all dimmed, extinguishing the only comfort for the night walkers who now had to place their trust in the moon to light the way home.

It was like the poster of those vintage horror movies. A cliché ghost town.

It was deep in the night when the police found the body of a young boy, sprawled along the bank of a stream, half submerged in the water. There was blood all over his face, and all over a rock beside him. He was naked, delicate skin left for the harsh winds to do whatever they pleased.

The police looked for sex offenders in the area. It was a logical explanation. Some pedophile had seen the boy and decided that they wanted him. But maybe he had been too much trouble for what he was worth. So they led him to the stream on a dark night where no one would be around, and silenced the young boy.

Perhaps, they had even enjoyed it.

But they never found the boy’s killer.

Then ten years later, to the exact hour of the discovery of the boy’s body. A woman leapt from the balcony of her three-storey house. Her husband found her when he got home from a business trip, laying on the ground with her eyes open, blood oozing from beneath her.

Drip. Drip.

Her blood dyed the swimming pool red.

Just like the young boy’s had dyed the stream red.

The boy’s name had been Julian Hyacinthe.

And the woman’s name had been Lilianna Hyacinthe.

I will let you decide what you will with that information.

“Callum,” Oliver grumbled, pushing me off of him. I rolled my eyes and climbed off the bed, not caring about grabbing a blanket to cover my parts. Oliver was always so insistent for sex to be an emotional thing to strengthen our relationship. “Something’s wrong.”

He rolled onto his side to face me. The moonlight streamed in through the cracks in the blinds, making his tannish copper skin appear as smooth as velvet. Chocolate brown curls fell in front of eyes that glimmered like the dew on fresh moss. His lips were red and swollen from when I had pushed him against the wall, craving the taste of his mouth against mine.

Hence why we were in the bedroom, naked.

“What, my sex game not good enough for you?” I said.

A faint blush coloured Oliver’s freckled cheeks pink. “It’s not that,” he said.

“All right,” I said. “Maybe you can top next time.”

“Something is bothering you, Callum,” Oliver said.

“I don’t have time for you to be my shrink, Oliver,” I said. He was right though. Something was bothering me.

It had come up on the news again. Julian Hyacinthe. How the police were reopening the investigation because new evidence had surfaced. For some reason that made my heart jump around like a frightened rabbit. Most of the time, I could barely feel it beating.

So something was wrong. Very wrong.

“It’s okay, Cal,” Oliver said. “You can talk to me.”

I climbed back into bed, and felt Oliver wrap his strong arms around me. I could feel the defined lines of his muscles. I traced my fingers along the webwork of veins trailing down to his wrist.

“I’ve umm, I’ve been having nightmares,” I admitted.

It was always the same one. A dark night by the stream. Two figures wondered to the water from this small path. They were fighting about something. And it got as heated as ten-year-old arguments could get. Then the boy on the left pushed Julian with all his might.

Julian stumbled, trying to catch onto the other’s boy’s shirt to stop himself from falling. His head collided against a jagged rock, and killed him instantly.

When the boy left, I would walk over to Julian, cradle him in my arms and whisper, “I’m sorry,” over and over.

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” Oliver asked. He pulled me closer until our bodies were entwined beneath the white sheets. He placed a kiss at the base of my neck.

“Because it’s stupid,” I said.

“Nothing that bothers you is ever stupid,” Oliver said.

“Quit being sappy, Oliver,” I said, supressing a sigh. “We should probably go to sleep.” I turned, and gave him a kiss on the lips. He fell asleep within the next five minutes.

I didn’t fall asleep until the alarm beeped that it was three am.

The witching hour.

I drove to my dad’s house the next day because it was the anniversary of my mum’s death. I opened the door to the sound of the tv playing the news. Dad was in the kitchen, chopping an apple. But his eyes were glued to the screen and the knife was only inches from his finger.

I pried it out of his grip before he could cut his finger off. “Oh, Callum.” His shoulders gave a jerk and then a shudder. The uneasiness in his worry lines were hard to miss. He had more grey hairs now, streaked across his head and peppered in his stubble. He gave me the bowl of freshly chopped apples. “I chopped them how you like.”

“Thanks,” I said, dropping my keys on the counter. “I would rather you not be absent of a finger for me.” I bit my lip, as his eyes drifted back to the screen. “What is it, Dad?” I asked.

“Julian,” he replied. “They um, they’re reopening the investigation.”

“Yeah, I know,” I said, thinking about the Julian in my dreams, and the uncomfortable feeling in my chest. I swallowed, placing the apples on the table. “I just need to use the bathroom.”

Dad never moved, even after Mum died. It was a big house. Must be awfully cold and empty living here all by yourself. All three-storeys of it. I used the bathroom on the second floor where the master bedroom was.

I must have been really out of it because I drove my hip right into the corner of the bedside table. I backed away, doubled over, pain coursing through my body for a good few minutes before I could finally stand upright.

The bedside table drawer had been jarred open from my clumsiness. A piece of paper peeked out, marred with unintelligible scribbles. I knew what it was immediately, and my heart sank. Dad had kept it all these years, right beside him as he slept.

My mum’s suicide note.

I shouldn’t have done it. I should have known that ignorance was bliss.

I should never have taken it for granted.

I opened the drawer, brushing my fingers along the crumpled paper, where the ink had made its mark, there to stain it forever. The writing was frantic. Droplets of tears smudged the words and tore the paper in some places where her hand had gone skating past with no regard for the damage it would cause.

Dear God,

I didn’t kill Julian, I swear. But I fear I am losing my mind. He hides in the shadows, waiting to grab me when I am unaware. Take revenge for what happened to him. He was just a boy, his life shouldn’t have ended the way it did.

There was blood everywhere when I got there. He didn’t even look real, I thought he was just a mannequin or something because his skin was so white. Then I saw his dead, dead eyes. It had all been an accident, I refused to believe it was anything otherwise.

I removed his clothing and burnt it because I didn’t want the police to find the DNA, let them to think it was a sex offender. And they did. Looking back, it probably would have been better to have done nothing.

It was a freak accident. But I couldn’t stop the part of me that thought maybe it wasn’t. What if he had seen the rock behind Julian and pushed him intentionally? It made me think and think. I couldn’t stand by and do nothing, not when the police could come knocking on our door to take him away.

I hope you can forgive me. My son had just been killed, and I didn’t want to subject Callum to all of that. Who knows if he did it on purpose or not? Maybe I have been protecting a murderer all along. I can’t do this anymore, keeping all these secrets. I want Callum to lead a normal life, and remember none of it. But I feel myself breaking and I am so worried that I will tell him, and I will ruin him.

I do this for Callum. And perhaps, you will see my dedication to my children and let me reunite with Julian, where I may tell him that I love him.

Lilliana Hyacinthe

I dropped the letter the moment I finished reading. I thought about my dream. I was the boy who pushed Julian. I was the one who had felt Julian’s heart beating against his chest for a millisecond before I stopped it altogether.

All those years wondering whether the police would ever find Julian’s killer, with the memory of that night pushed all the way down.

Julian was my brother.

And I killed him.

“Callum,” Dad burst into the room. The look of shock on his face when he saw the note was the only confirmation I needed.

I was dead still, wishing so desperately I could turn back time and make it so I never excused myself to go to the bathroom. That way I would have never bumped my hip against the bedside table and touched what did not belong to me.

“I know what it looks like,” Dad said. “But your mum, she wasn’t well. She had these crazy delusions that sent her into this downward spiral. I should have been there with her that night. It should never have happened.”

I still didn’t say anything. I had my own memory to back it up. Nothing Dad was saying to steer me away from the truth was going to deter me.

Julian was my brother.

And I killed him.

My heart was only faintly beating. I needed to get out of here. This large, empty house where Mum had leapt to her death.

“Callum, let me explain.” Dad tried to grasp onto my sleeve, but I was already halfway out the door.

I snatched my keys from the counter, leaving the bowl of apple slices on the table to rot. Just like Mum and I had left Julian by the stream to rot. I had gone running to her about what happened, and all she said to me was to stay quiet and not say anything to anyone.

So I did.

While she went to strip Julian, burn his clothes, and leave him bleeding and dead.

I drove all the way back to the apartment that Oliver and I shared. We lived on the tenth floor, but I ran all the way up the twenty flights of stairs. I didn’t register the breath being sucked out of my lungs, the sweat dripping down my temples or my heart pumping so, so hard.

But all that caught up with me when I stumbled into the apartment, realising that I couldn’t breathe, and my clothing was clinging onto me like a second layer of skin.

“Cal,” Oliver was curled up on the couch.

I couldn’t breathe, my mind was reeling. I could see Julian bleeding all over the pristine tiles that Oliver had mopped this morning. Oliver was in front of me, saying something that I couldn’t hear. His hands were on my shoulders, and I didn’t know if I was the one shaking or he was the one shaking me.

“Cal, Cal, you’re scaring me,” Oliver said. I finally heard that. I tried to say something, but my voice came out hoarse, not even an exhale of air. “All right, Cal, just breathe with me.” I inhaled, but it was like fire entering my lungs. I was going to spontaneously combust. And the more I thought about it, the more I panicked.

Killers were meant to be calm and methodical. They weren’t meant to have remorse. They were monsters. Was I a monster? I killed my own brother, how could I not have remorse?

I had to tell Oliver.

Mum kept what she had done a secret, and it had killed her.

“I did something bad, Oliver,” I finally managed after more than several moments of hyperventilating.

“It’s okay,” Oliver said. “You can tell me.”

“Can you keep a secret, Oliver?” I asked. “Promise me you won’t tell anyone.” I knew that wasn’t fair on Oliver, but I loved him more than anything in the world. If Oliver was dragged into the depths of hell, I would have begged him to drag me with him. So was it really that much of a wrong that I told him?

I told him everything.

“He was my brother, Oliver,” I said. “I pushed him, he hit his head on that rock, and he died. Then, my mum tried to cover it up. She thought she was protecting me.”

“She was protecting you,” Oliver said. “In a twisted way, I suppose. She had already lost a son, she didn’t want to lose you too.”

“I killed him,” I said.

“No, you didn’t,” Oliver said insistently. “It was an accident. A terrible, terrible accident.”

I fell into his arms, crying and sobbing like I never had before. I clung onto Oliver’s shirt that smelt of his sweet, sweet cologne. He whispered comforting words to me.

“I love you,” I mumbled.

“I love you too,” Oliver replied. “It’s going to be okay.”

That night, I had the same dream. I held Julian’s body in my arms, crying and screaming into the night that it should have been me.

Because if only I had known. I would have done anything to trade places with him. I would have made a deal with the devil.

Anything for Julian to not have dissolved to mere shadows in my mind.

August 21, 2020 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

Roshna Rusiniya
03:20 Aug 25, 2020

This was so sad but written wonderfully! Great job!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
03:28 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you so much, Roshna!

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
03:35 Aug 25, 2020

You are welcome! If you have time, have a look at mine too. Thanks!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
03:47 Aug 25, 2020

Of course I will check out your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
12:28 Aug 24, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story The Secret Organisation { Part 2 }

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:01 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you, Amogh! I will definitely check out your story. :)

Reply

Amogh Kasat
05:02 Aug 25, 2020

I would be waiting for your comment and like

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:46 Dec 05, 2020

Good job Yolanda Wu! This story is a bit of a thriller/mystery, which I don't usually read, but I read it today and liked it.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
23:33 Dec 05, 2020

Thank you, Emmie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jade Young
07:28 Sep 12, 2020

What the hell, this is amazing! Your descriptions once again blew me away. They were so powerful that I felt like I was slowly unravelling with Callum. I love the repetition of the "Julian was my brother. And I killed him." It really shows his frame of mind, what's haunting him, and the way you structured it really drives it home. The mother's note and Callum's reaction were perfectly described. I felt like I was Callum in that moment rather than experiencing everything with Callum. I'm rating this story a 10/10. I mean wow. Just wow🙌🏽

Reply

Yolanda Wu
08:15 Sep 12, 2020

Ahhh, thank you so much for your kind words, Jade. I don't even know what to say, you're too nice. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nicole Zhao
11:00 Sep 09, 2020

啊呀。啊啊啊啊啊

Reply

Yolanda Wu
11:01 Sep 09, 2020

啊啊啊啊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
01:40 Sep 02, 2020

Great story!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
02:24 Sep 02, 2020

Thanks, Sarah!

Reply

. .
02:24 Sep 02, 2020

Np

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
16:10 Aug 27, 2020

Wow!!!!!!! Wonderful story. And the ending line was amazing. Sad story too. Well written. Would you mind reading my new story "The adventurous tragedy?"

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:01 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you so much, Keerththan! Of course I will check out your story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sue Darling
23:33 Aug 26, 2020

It was a bad idea to read this after finishing a different sad story. I've already got tears waiting, and this brought them out. You write beautifully and convey so much emotion. This was a really great read!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
23:36 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you so much, Sue! Callum is a character that's really close to my heart, so I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
01:58 Aug 25, 2020

Sad story but very well written. It flowed quite well and very subtly hinted at the reveal at the end. Nice job. :) If you’d like, you can check out my story “Haunted” which sort of has a similar theme to your story.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
02:00 Aug 25, 2020

Thank you so much C. jay! I would love to check out your story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
04:44 Aug 24, 2020

This is really good i like it ^^ i don't know what to really say but im going to give you a 10/10. in your bio i saw that you mentioned "Camp half blood" and "percy jackson" if you can and want to, could you maybe check out my new story "Goddess child" which is kind of in a way going to be like that. i've been interested in greek gods lately and i'd love to see what you have to say.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
05:06 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you for your 10/10! Of course I will check out your story, I love anything to do with gods and goddesses. :)

Reply

B. W.
05:30 Aug 24, 2020

no problem ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
11:26 Aug 23, 2020

Yolanda, beautifully expressed and wonderfully written! Your descriptive skills are something to die for. Some suggestions: make 'cliché' 'clichéd'. And in "I've umm..." , I'd suggest putting a hyphen after I've. All in all, a perfect story! :) Please check out my new story too, if you get the time :p

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:04 Aug 23, 2020

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions, Pragya! I will definitely keep them in mind. I will be glad to check out your story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karin Venables
04:06 Aug 23, 2020

Awesome story. Combines a couple of the prompts really well too. Even if the question Can you keep a secret wasn't at the beginning or the end. This was really well written.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
04:26 Aug 23, 2020

Thank you so much, Karin! I know the 'Can you keep a secret?' part wasn't exactly at the end, it just didn't really fit the whole flow of my story to put is as my first or last sentence. Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
16:07 Aug 21, 2020

Wow - that is an intense story, Yolanda. And a powerful, emotionally-charged story. I admire you for taking on some really sensitive and dark themes. You handled them so skillfully. And of course, incredible writing as always. I am really interested in the psychology of trauma and these stories that explore that issue draw me in. Another amazing Yolanda Wu story!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
22:35 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you so much, Kristin! Your comments always make my day. This story was me kind of me going back to my roots as a writer, back to when I was twelve or thirteen and wrote extremely dramatic and dark stories. I'm glad that I've improved enough as a writer to pull it off now. Again, thank you for reading my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rambling Beth
10:44 Aug 21, 2020

This is magnificent. I really liked the vulnerability throughout, just beautiful.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
11:09 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you so much, Beth!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gopika Ashokan
07:42 Aug 21, 2020

Okay, so this was great! I was attending my online class and I did not hear a single word that my professor said, I was so engrossed in the world you created that I couldn't pull myself from it. This piece had my undivided attention. The anxiety,the psyche, the helplessness of the character came across as real and raw. Thanks for writing this!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
08:28 Aug 21, 2020

Aww, thank you. Your comment makes me so happy. I wasn't so sure about this story, but you've made me believe otherwise. I'm glad you enjoyed this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dunya Zatde
04:42 Aug 21, 2020

Wow! This honestly so so good! I loved every single line from this. And the angst of Callum and how he found out. Wow! I especially loved one of the very first line because the imagery was marvellous: “The streets lamps had all dimmed, extinguishing the only comfort for the night walkers who now had to place their trust in the moon to light the way home.” amazing! This should definitely win!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
04:45 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you so much! Your comments means so much to me. I guess I couldn't avoid the angst with Callum. He's actually a character from an unpublished story of mine under the same title, and trust me, the original one was far angstier. But I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Dunya Zatde
04:51 Aug 21, 2020

Oh! You should totally publish! This was a really interesting read! And the style and tone of the prose were excellently matching the theme! Keep it up!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
05:24 Aug 21, 2020

That old story definitely needs some editing, but I might consider publishing it after I polish it up. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Masha Kurbatova
04:04 Aug 22, 2020

woww the suspense in the story had me in its grip! it was so dark and i couldnt stop, i had to find out what happened and you did not disappoint!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
04:15 Aug 22, 2020

Thank you so much for reading, Masha. I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.