0 comments

Fiction Funny LGBTQ+

I don't come here for the coffee...

I watched him from the corner of my eye as he smiled and laughed while serving a customer a piece of pumpkin pie. His perfect teeth behind that perfect smile glittered as he playfully winked at the girl. He didn't wink at me... Ever. I came here almost every day and awkwardly stared at him while I should have been working on my laptop. This is exactly why he barely achknowledged my presents. I was just some regular customer.

Truth be told. I absolutely, with all my soul, hate coffee. I simply made the mistake of telling him I loved coffee when we cause he said he just opened a coffee shop near the college and I panicked. So almost every day I sit here with a cold cup of coffee, forcing myself to drink it, just for the hopes of chatting with him at the end of the day.

Most days, I can't get the courage to even open my mouth, so I run out the door before we are stuck awkwardly staring at eachother. He's too polite to ask me to leave, and I'm too freaked out by being alone with him for me to ask him to dinner or a movie or anything.

Closing time was almost here. The place was already emptying out. I sighed. No, tonight I wouldn't be able to talk to him again. I just didn't have the courage.

I looked at the cup of coffee that was almost still full. Pumpkin pie coffee, to go with the pumpkin pies and the decorations to celebrate autumn. I had hoped it would actually taste like pumpkin, but it was like the strongest sludge.. and had chunks... Of what I hoped were pumpkin...

No. I would not be able to force myself to stomach that again tonight. Maybe it was time I called it quits. Gave up on this foolish crush of mine.

"You're not leaving yet, are you?" I voice called out across the shop.

My head whipped up and shook slightly.

"Oh good! Just give me a minute and I'll be right over!" The boy of my dreams announced as he held open the door for a little old lady.

I plopped hard back into my sweet staring across the room at him. What did he want? Maybe he wanted to tell me not to come around any more? Maybe he was annoyed that I was always coming here and taking up space. I barely drank anything, even the cup I bought daily never got finished. I looked down at the cup and in my panicked state picked it up and drank that now cold lumpy liquid as fast as I could. It took everything in me not to gag, but when I finished he was already standing infront of me.

"Hi." He said with a grin.

"H-hey." I studdered out sounding pretty rediculous.

"So, I see you at the college a lot when I'm there for my business class... And you are always are with this one guy..." My hands grabbed the edge of the table. " Is he your boyfriend?"

As the last part slipped from his lips my jaw dropped open. Sweat poured from ever where. My face felt hot.

"N-no! He's my best friend! He's completely gay!" Why did I say that. It was like I was qualifying my friendship. Like even if he were straight, I can be friends with guys!

"That's awesome!" He announced his eyes brightening. My heart thumped as I stated into them. "Can you introduce us?!"

Ouch. But my friend and I had literally talked the day before. He had said he was lonely, and even hinted that coffee shop boy was just his type.

"Meet me under the oak tree tomorrow at eleven. Don't be late." I muttered and ran out of the shop, almost forgetting my laptop and bag because I was in such a rush.

Saying it hurt a lot. This whole thing hurt. I felt like I was breaking my own heart. ... My best friend! What was I? Some kind of gay guy magnet?!? That was how I met my best friend... I had a crush on him in primary school. That's the kind of luck I have.

That night I made the most amazing little lunch boxes. I packed a blanket in my spare bag and dragged it all to school with me the next day.

I forgot the most important part. I slipped a note in my friends hand in the hall right after class. It said, 'meet me in twenty at our fave spot.'

Then, I ran like my life depended on it! I was never an athlete, but today, I needed every ounce of strength I could muster.

I had five minutes to spare. I laid out the blanket and set up the two lunchkits.

Then, I hid in the hollow on the other side of the tree. I heard them approaching. Neither really understood what I had been trying to accomplish.

Ring ring! My phone!

It was in my pocket and I was stuck. After the boys helped me out of the hole, I explained what was happening and left them to it. It hurt, but it was for the best. They were perfect for eachother. I should know, I have great taste in guys.

And with that. I will never have to drink another cup of coffee again!

Truth be told.. with my best friend dating coffee shop boy, I had a lot more coffee. Almost every day in fact. It became our new favorite spot.

It didn't take long before my best friend told his boyfriend that I preferred hot chocolate. I welcomed the change! And from then on, I no longer had to drink coffee... But as long as autumn was here, I'd have to suffer through chunks of pumpkin in my hot chocolate. ... Some things are worth suffering through if the people you love are happy.

October 10, 2020 04:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.