0 comments

Fantasy

“Wow, this yard sale has a lot of cool stuff, doesn’t it, Ethan?” “Oh yeah. It’s great. There are some tools I want to check out on that table over there. I’ll meet up with you.” Carly enjoyed watching her husband get excited at yard sales like a child on Christmas morning. Not only did Ethan love a good yard sale, he loved to collect, well, just about anything. As Carly watched her husband inspect all the things that would undoubtedly end up in one of his collections, she had to chuckle to herself. “True, I’d eventually need a second home to be able to store all of Ethan’s so-called treasures, but it makes him happy, which in turn, makes me happy.”

As Carly perused the seemingly endless folding tables of items, she thought maybe Ethan’s love of unique finds was beginning to rub off. She already had her arms full of various treasures by the third folding table. She didn’t even want to venture a guess as to how much Ethan had accumulated by now.

She caught sight of him on the far side of the yard, just as she expected, arms overflowing. He peered over his goody pile, looking around for his wife. “Carly, come here. Check this out.” “Just a minute, let me put these things down.” The woman hosting the yard sale saw Carly’s full arms and hurried over to help her. “Looks like you’re a little full there. I’m glad you like my items. My name is Heidi, can I relieve your poor arms?” Carly let out a huge sigh. “Oh yes, thank you.  “I’m Carly and you have some great things here, Heidi. I’m surprised you want to part with them.” Heidi placed Carly’s items in a plastic bin and looked at her solemnly. “My husband passed away last year and these things are what he’s collected over the years. It’s just too painful to see them day in and day out. I decided to hold a yard sale so others could enjoy the things that meant so much to my husband.” Carly responded empathetically. “I’m so sorry for your loss. I know others will enjoy your husband’s collectibles. Would you excuse me? My husband has clearly spotted yet another thing he can’t live without.” Heidi’s laugh was contagious and Carly found herself laughing as she headed toward her husband.

Carly hurried to Ethan to take some of his “have to have” items and give his weary arms a rest. “What’s up, hon?” “Look at this trunk. It looks quite old. I don’t know why, but I thought it would be something you’d like. What do you think? They’re only asking five bucks.” Carly knelt to inspect the trunk. She agreed it would offer some storage, but she was more intrigued with the craftsmanship. “Oh, Ethan, it’s perfect. Let’s get it. I’ll go pay for it. Why don’t you place your things inside it for now?” As Ethan was placing the items in the trunk, Carly walked over to pay. “Heidi, is there anything you can tell me about that trunk over there? We’d like to purchase it. The craftsmanship is exquisite.” “You know, I know the story of just about every item my husband had, yet I know virtually nothing about that trunk. We’ve had it in the attic for as long as I can remember. We’ve just never had much use for it. Sorry, I can’t provide any information about its history. My husband always thought it was special for some reason. I do hope you enjoy it.” Carly looked over at the trunk. “I can’t tell you why, but I have a strange feeling it’s exactly what we need. Thank you, Heidi.” Carly told Heidi to keep the change, then went to pull up the SUV to load up the items.

Evening fell and for some reason, Carly could not pull her mind from the trunk she bought today. “Ethan, is there anything you’d like to store in the trunk?”

 “No hon, I thought you’d want it for your things. Put in it anything you’d like.”

Carly spent the last hour listening to her husband’s rhythmic breathing. Since sleep wouldn’t come for her, she thought she’d get up and go inspect the trunk a little more. “It’s an old, beaten up trunk. I have no idea why I feel so drawn to it.” She decided to put mementos inside, things that hold special meaning to her, so she tucked a few items inside before heading back to bed. She chose the love letters she and her husband had written when they first met and the prescription glasses that were her father’s favorite on top of the letters. Since his passing, having his glasses brought Carly comfort.

The next day brought along with it brilliant sunshine. Carly has been looking forward to this day for quite some time. She loved touring around Old City, Philadelphia. It’s where she met Ethan. Every year on the date they met, they go into the city and visit the museums and restaurants they went to on their first date. “Where do you want to begin today, Ethan?” “How about The Franklin Institute?”

“Ooh yes’” Ethan responded excitedly. “My favorite and they have a great gift shop.”

They had a wonderful afternoon together. Carly came home with a few souvenirs, as she does every year. She decided on a replica Declaration of Independence, a book on the inventions of Ben Franklin, and a small Liberty Bell. “Carly, are you going to store your keepsakes in that trunk?”

“I am. I’ve decided to only put meaningful mementos in it and our yearly date is always memorable.” Carly kissed her husband, then went upstairs to store them away.

The following day Carly brought a few more keepsakes to the trunk. As she lifted the weathered lid, she immediately smiled. “What is he up to, that joker?” Gone were the love letters and her father’s glasses. In their stead was a note. She opened the folded stationary to read, “The items are fascinating. Please send more.” Carly couldn’t help but laugh. She left the open trunk to go find Ethan. “Hey, goofball, where are my things?”

 “Huh, what are you talking about? What things?” “Oh, come on, Ethan. Where did you put the letters and glasses that were in my trunk? Fun prank, though.”

“Carly, seriously, I didn’t prank you.”

“You didn’t leave this note, you’re saying?” Ethan took the note from Carly and quickly read it. “Car, I didn’t write that. Maybe you have a pen pal.”

“Good grief, Ethan. Well, I guess we have a mystery on our hands.” He winked at her. “Maybe.”

Carly knew he had to be pulling her chain, but she wasn’t sure why. She let it go for now. She decided to wait and see what else he’d do. It had to be Ethan. No one else lives here unless there’s a ghost with excellent penmanship.

Carly brought the bag of souvenirs over to the trunk. She decided to play along and grabbed a piece of stationery and a pen. She sat on the floor in front of the trunk and wrote: “I’m glad you like my keepsakes. They are very special to me, so I would appreciate it if you’d place them back in the trunk.” She put the souvenirs from the Franklin Institute in the trunk under the note, then closed the lid. She told herself she was playing along with her husband’s antics, but her intuition told her not to be so sure. She knew that it didn’t make sense, but something inside told her it was true. She took out the note and added, “My name is Carly.”

She went about her day but made it a point to pay attention to where Ethan went into the house, hoping to catch him in the act and prove her intuition wrong. When Ethan left to go to the store, Carly headed straight to the trunk. She lifted the lid expecting to see everything just as she left it. Her original items were returned, while the most recent souvenirs were gone. A note was left in their place. “Please tell me about the most recent items. I borrowed them for inspection. I will return them once you explain to me where you got the signatures on the document. Is it some parlor trick, or are you a thief? Is there something you want? Please respond post haste. S.D.”

“S.D.? Who is S.D.? This couldn’t be Ethan, could it? No matter who it is, what the heck are they talking about? The signatures on the Declaration of Independence? A parlor trick? A thief? I don’t get it.” Carly knew that if someone were playing a trick on her, she’d probably be making a fool of herself by responding. Her curiosity was winning out, so she picked up the pen to continue the conversation. “S.D., I have no idea what you’re talking about. The signatures? It’s the Declaration of Independence. It’s a 250 year old document. Everyone knows what it is. I don’t know what you think I stole. I most certainly paid for those souvenirs. Who are you really? If this is a prank, it’s no longer funny.” Carly placed the note in the trunk and paused.

“S.D. Who could that be? If this is Ethan messing around, he’d want me to figure it out. Who would he be pretending to be?” She sat thinking. He referred to the signatures on the document. I wonder if he’s referring to one of them. She looked up the document on her phone. None of the people’s initials were S.D. The note accused Carly of stealing. Stealing what? she wondered. She continued thinking aloud. “What do my souvenirs have in common? Ben Franklin. He has something to do with all three of my souvenirs. The Declaration, the Liberty Bell, the book on Franklin’s inventions. But S.D. What does that mean?

Carly had a crazy idea. She heard her husband come in the front door, back from his trip to the store. She thought she’d figured out if S.D. was her husband messing around, so she climbed into the trunk and lowered the lid. Huddled inside, she planned on popping out when her husband came in and opened the trunk. She waited quietly as she heard footsteps getting closer. She was ready. Any second now she could jump up and tell her husband that his gig was up. The trunk slowly opened. Carly jumped up and faced the person who lifted the lid and completely froze. “Dear God. How is this possible?”

“You’re, you’re… Benjamin Franklin.” Carly quickly searched her surroundings. “I’m definitely not in Kansas anymore, so to speak.”

“You’re who left the items in the trunk, I presume?” “Yes, I am. I’m Carly. I’m from the year 2018. I’m not sure how this magic is possible but it seems as if I traveled back in time.” Ben helped Carly out of the trunk and motioned toward a chair by the hearth. “Mr. Franklin, you signed your letters to me, S.D. That’s Silence Dogood, correct?”

“Yes. That’s my signature when I wish to remain anonymous. How do you know about that?”

 “To be honest, you’re one of the most famous people in American history. Your inventions and writings were the basis for the advanced modern conveniences we all take for granted in my time.” Ben stood. “Those books you sent, those were about my inventions?”

“Well, yes. You’re truly one of the greatest minds in history.” “I appreciate knowing that. I only ever want to better mankind.” “Well then, you’ve definitely achieved that and then some. Did you read the books and see how your inventions and thoughts have shaped our world?” “I am extremely grateful for whatever magic that’s allowing me to see not only my contributions to the world but what the world is like three hundred years in the future. Thank you, Carly. I’d like to do something for you. Is there anything you’d like?”

Carly scratched her head and pondered the question. “Would it be too much to ask to have a few things signed from you?” Carly’s heart sped just thinking about meeting Ben Franklin and being able to take home proof. Ben smiled and headed toward a small writing desk. He picked up a leather-bound book and walked back to Carly. “How about this? It’s one of my journals. I have many and if it pleases you, I’d like you to have it.”

 “If you’re sure, I’d be honored to receive such a gift.” Carly absentmindedly rubbed a stray tear. Benjamin Franklin has always been fascinating to her and this encounter is nothing short of a divine miracle.

Carly took the signed journal from her hero as well as a signed, obviously first edition book of his. She pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and handed it to Ben. She explained what it was. He was completely fascinated. “I want you to have it.” “He shook her hand and thanked her profusely.

Carly climbed back into the trunk, said goodbye to her hero, and squatted so Ben could close the lid. A moment later the lid opened and her husband was standing there. “Car, what are you doing in the trunk?”

 “Ethan, you better sit down. I’ll get you a beer. Trust me, you’re going to need it.”

April 24, 2020 18:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.