0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

I am the vice president of a food product company and I am also the chief of sales. I travel extensively and was on my way back when the plane landed at an airport en route for attention. It was already 7 in the evening and we were scheduled to take off again at 9 in the night. By that time the covid lockdown was imposed and I was stuck at the airport. I called my wife Rita and told her of my predicament. The next morning carrying my small handbag, I found my way with great difficulty from the airport to the city. Hotels were shut. I was wondering about the next move when I saw the ad of DREAM SOFTWARE on a high rise complex. I enquired and found the office of the firm was on the ground floor and that the lady who was the director lived in the 4th. I was taken by surprise when I heard the director was Fanny. It had been her dream to set up her own software company and she had done it.

I went up to the 4th floor and it was Fanny who opened the door. She was shocked to see me.  I am a tall well-built man with a receding hairline. I hadn’t shaved since the previous two days and the outgrowth on my face masked my features. I said “Fanny, I need help.” I told her about my requirement for stay as all flights and railway movement had been cancelled.

She said ”Come in. I must help you in dangerous times as these. I live alone here. My cook died recently due to Covid. The maid can’t come to work here as she has no transport. Besides, the lockdown is in force.”

I said “I think in a matter of a week or so things will surely get back to normal. May I camp here? Otherwise I saw the board offering a paying guest facility.”

I was seated on a sofa inside and she sat facing me. She still remained attractive with her long hair and prominent nose besides her fair complexion. She was dressed in a flowered housecoat.

I said “Nothing about you has changed. You look the same attractive woman who charmed me.”

“How is your mother? It was her scheme that split us. She had wanted you to marry Rita her close friend’s daughter. And then......”

“We can discuss all that later.”

“I was about to ask you if you needed any garments to change.”

“Yes. All shops will be closed. Now that you’re going to help me I’ll manage. I’m really lucky I found you. It was most unexpected as I didn’t know your whereabouts. You disappeared almost 3 years ago.”

“Let me get you breakfast.”

In a few minutes we had a lavish breakfast with the jams of our company’s make. I said “Excellent breakfast Fanny.”

“I’m sure Rita provides you such fare.”

I changed the topic saying “How can I get new clothes with all shops closed?”

“Don’t worry. I’ll arrange it.”

Now I got a call and spoke “I’m okay Rita. I’ve a friend who is helping me. I think these restrictions won’t apply after a week I’ll call you soon.”

Fanny said “You’re not telling Rita you’re with me? Of course she may want to kill you.”

“Fanny, it looks like I’m faltering in speech. I’m so worried. Halting midway and being put up with you.”

“You didn’t have the guts to tell her that you were with me.”

“Let us face reality. I didn’t know you were here and were going to help me. I’ll tell the truth after I return. Why should I lie to her?”

She said “You could occupy that guest room. I know your size and will get the needed garments soonest. You can relax.” She paused and added “There’s only one TV here which’s in my bedroom. You can read the few women’s magazines in the guest room.”

I locked myself in the guest room. The bed was comfortable and I sank into it. Let me tell you first about my first wife. She is Fanny – the name I had given her. I had to choose between Fanny and Rita. My mother was strongly in favour of Rita but I chose Fanny. We had been happy together but even after 3 years, there were no children. My mother got Fanny checked out and was told she wouldn’t produce any with me. That led to the divorce. Rita then married me but 3 years have passed and we still have no children. Thinking about old times with Fanny and feeling sad, I fell asleep.

When I got up it was past lunchtime and Fanny was ready with the food. She said “You can only have a simple lunch as there’s for now a shortage of cooking material.”

She had improvised and I had a meal which was filling. I called up my office and was told our plants were all shut. I went back to the guest room and lay reminiscing about the past. Fanny had always wanted to be an entrepreneur. Her father had left her enough money. She would tell me “I’ll call my software company Dreamworks or Dreamworld. You must give me ideas about managing it after it starts” but her ideas had been demolished by my divorce.

Fanny did not speak to me much unlike in the old days. She was reserved and I kept my distance. I was very comfortable in the place as Fanny ably managed supplies including shaving materials and clothes for me. Three days passed and suddenly Fanny took ill with pains all over her body . I suspected it to be Covid but fortunately it wasn’t. I cooked and cared for her. Another 3 days and she was normal again. After we had lunch prepared by me she said “I greatly appreciate your help when I was ill. You were always kind towards me and gentle. I had in fact thought of ending my life after divorce from you.”

“Don’t mention it at all. I’ll always remember how kind you were to put me up in Covid times to help me.”

Suddenly she was in tears and was sobbing. Wiping her tears she said “From the time you came I’ve been thinking about the years we spent together. They were happy. Even thinking of you would make me happy. But that wretched mother of yours was intent on ousting me and getting you to marry Rita. However Rita hasn’t been able to produce children either.” She paused and added “I’m sure you’re happy with Rita. The world knows that demon who was your mother spoilt our marriage.” She continued “You’re an earnest and helpful guy. That oncologist who occupies the 6th floor is arrogant as she is good at her job and has a large number of patients. She never even nods on seeing me but you said she was very nice and you brought her to treat me. You said she wouldn’t take any money for her service. That is you. You’ve a way with people.” She started crying loudly and I was surprised that she had expressed her feelings so openly which was unlike her. I comforted her and she was in my arms. She said “I’m lucky you’ve come my way. I had no one to express my feelings to till you came.”

She had turned passionate and I reciprocated. She allowed me full freedom of access to her person and I was overcome with love for her. One thing led to another and I was in bed with her. I have to only use embroidered language to describe my doings with her! From then on she wouldn’t be parted from me and it felt like Fanny and I were on a honeymoon. I wished the lockdown would never end. That was how Fanny felt also. However limited train services started and I knew I had to go back. It was 4 months since I stepped into Fanny’s house. She was exceedingly upset on seeing me ready to go.

On return I told Rita how I was helped by Fanny. She said “There could be nothing new. After all she was your wife. She wouldn’t have liked to go to bed with you because you had divorced her.” She was entitled to her thinking! Three months later I got a message from Fanny “Congratulations! You’re becoming a father!”

That morning, Fanny told Rita too who was exceedingly angry. She wailed “What has she got that I haven’t? What all did you do to get her in the family way?”

I consoled her. I said “Fanny wants me to marry her again but law could prevent it. I must discuss with my lawyer. Should it end well, I’ll set her up to live separately.”

“It won’t end well until you make me pregnant. Start with renewed vigour, now. This instant! Time of day makes no difference.”

I complied as there was no way to gainsay!

END

January 30, 2021 11:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.