The Balance of Love and Hatred

Written in response to: Write a story that includes (or subverts) the enemies-to-lovers trope.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Bedtime Adventure

He was in love with the land. 

His kingdom, the place he would rule when he aged, and grew into the crown. When he was a child, small enough to hit just under his dad's hand, he wanted nothing more than the crown. Gigiging as his parents would chase him with their cloaks and staffs, and he’d marvel at the grand tapestries that hung across the halls. It seemed they lived the dream upon their thrones. 

He didn't realize when nineteen rolled around, and the discussion had been brought up, a pirate might change the whole view. 

***

After almost crashing on the shore of our beach, and alerting most of the coastal residents, a ship started making docks. They stabbed their makeshift rigs in the sand, making sand and dirt fly every which way. 

“Hello, can we help you?” I shouted, squirting as the sun blazed in the afternoon heat, trying to get their attention over the waves. 

“Oh yes, are you the leader of this land?” One asked, staggering as his feet dug in the sand . He barely came up to my shoulders, with hair blown around by the wind. 

“You could say that. Any reason you decided to dock on the residential beach rather than the perfectly fine marina?” I humped, watching as the boy walked right in front of me. 

“Is that what that was? Yeah, too much traffic for me, this spot seemed empty, so we took it,” the boy argued, even though he had to look up at an angle, hsi confidence didn’t seem to falter. 

“Right, well can I speak to the Captain? Or somebody in charge?” I sighed, using just about every lesson of self control I could remember, to not roll my eyes. 

“The Captain is coming down now,” he said, still with his shoulders back and head forward. “You better not be as rude to her.” 

“Of course not,” I said, then there was a cheering uproar from the boat, making us both turn. “I’m assuming that’s him.” 

The boy scoffed, but ran to the same opening he had exited from. Just as the time passed slowly, I almost thought the boat would leave then and there. A girl, roughly my own age, walked down the board plank. 

Her hair was pulled behind a shrap pirate hat, and from head to toe she was the perfect example of ‘disheveled.’ With ragged boots and a worn coat, she looked horrendous. Her face was twisted in disgust, probably mirroring my own expression. 

“Well hello,” she shouted. “Are you one of the peasants here?” 

“I’m the Prince,” I scoffed, and the girl actually rolled her eyes. 

“Right sorry,” she said, not sounding sorry at all. “I’m the Captain here. We had found your land by accident, just a simple misunderstanding.” 

“Well perfect, then you wouldn't mind moving,” I suggested, the captain didn’t seem to like that. 

“Actually, we can’t. You see, the tides are much too strong at this time of day.” she persuaded me. “Maybe, we can use your marina?” 

Before we could argue too much, I noticed my father standing slightly far away from the crowd. His face was pinched, definitely not in a happy mood. When he noticed my eyes on him, he gestured for me to come to him. 

“I’m sure we could figure out something,” I argued, trying to not let my own anger shine through. Whatever the king wanted, it was far more important than this conversation. 

“I’m sure we can,” she finished, then as the crowd became denser, she went to the boat to hopefully rig the boat in the marina. 

My father was watching me, I could feel his eyes burning through me. When we trailed to me,  passing each person with a curt nod or pleased welcome. He didn’t seem to be having a hard time liking these ‘pirates,’ my father started leading me away from the crowd. 

“This could be a new opportunity for you Kannan. These pirates could be used for our value.” he whispered, leading me away from the crowd forming. “You just have to get close to their ‘Captain’ then maybe we can strike a deal with them.” 

I sighed, with no interest relating to us, besides maybe mutual distaste, that wasn’t going to be easy. “Father, don’t you think we should send them off the shore. I can’t imagine their worth or our value.” 

“Kannan, sometimes not every person needs to be on your side.” the king bargained, “Rember, keep your allies close and your enemies closer.” 

“Right, I’ll do my best,” I relented, this really wasn’t worth the argument. We had bugger things to worry about, like the gala and the military meetings. 

“I knew you would agree. Now, let’s go see your newest suitress.” leading me back to the crowd. 

“My what?” 

*** 

Zamira’s Perspective 

Eventually, through much persuading, they managed to get me in a meeting. The king insisted on me and my Issey coming to this little gathering. So here we were, sitting in a spacious sitting room. Gray tapestries gracing the walls, and a long stretched table with chairs surrounding. 

“Now, since everyone’s here. Let’s get started.” the king babled, and boy did he keep going. He managed to even bore his own son, though the boy seemed quite trained to hide it. Yet, not to me. His head was resting just a little too heavy in his hands, eyelids slightly too lidded. “Zamira?” 

“Sorry, I was distracted. What were you saying?” I asked, trying to not let myself be too embarrassed by the mess up. 

“Zamira,” the king repeated, leading me to streak away from Kannan. “Are you going to the Gala?” 

“Yes, I am,” I politely responded. 

“I think you’ll be the perfect date for Kannan. What do you say, Zamira?” The king asked, his eyes seemed to dare me to disobey. In one thought they had me under their thumb, my ship on lockdown, my crew felt like prisoners, this might be my only chance to get on his good side. 

***

Kannan’s Perspective 

Hand in hand, arms brushing over each other, everything felt like fire, even with this room full of people. She was so close, and every time we touched she dragged a little farther away. Eventually, with much resistance, and a glare from my father. I asked her to dance. 

“Would you like to dance?” I offered, trying to do anything but glance at her. 

“Why not,” she snapped. “Just try not to step on my toes. Alright?” 

“Wouldn’t dream of it.” I dragged her just far enough to be considered the ‘dancing floor.’ I could feel my father staring at us, maybe even my mother was glancing our way. That’s all we really needed, some witnesses. 

Managing a slight waltz, dancing between the squares patterning the floor, and swaying to the music. The captain seemed to be a natural, or maybe the pirates had an interest in the art of gala dancing. 

“You know, I didn’t expect you to be a natural,” I muttered, it was awkward to say the least. I hadn’t stepped on her toes, but the movements were still tight, and just slightly too rigged to be comfortable. 

The captain actually managed a polite laugh, and leaned a little closer to me. 

“Well, we're pirates, we are not completely unsophisticated,” she breathed. 

“Could've fooled me,” I replied, and that she really did laugh at. Doubling herself almost completely over to let out a large bellowing laugh, and people around us gave her dirty looks, I didn’t pay them much mind, I thought it sounded beautiful. 

Just as the music faded, I dragged my arms back to my sides. The other couples moved away, and I could still feel her hesitance, yet it was chipped away. 

“I don't think I ever properly introduced myself,” she whispered, even through the blurry night I could make out a blush on her cheeks. “You can call me Zamira,” 

My own cheeks heated, maybe the dance did mean something. Perhaps my fathers bullshit ideas, the elastic plan, might just work. 

“Well then, I guess that means I’m Kannan.”

*** 

Zamira’s Perspective 

Over time, something bloomed. 

Every meeting, it fell like the same thing the first time. We still glared in the same way, but now there was a different meaning. It felt more like a joke, little teasing's throughout the day.  I began to smile a bit more, laugh a little louder. 

It felt so much lighter to live through the happy moments, while still never having the weight of others opinions or thoughts. Just a mutual hatred, or liking, maybe a mix of both.

One day, when the day had been slightly warmer than usual, and the cool night was welcomed, he asked me on a date. 

“Would you like to go on a date?” he asked, as we were hunched over a different battle plan. Kannan had been slightly nervous all day, fidgeting with his hands throughout meetings and swiping his hands when they sweat on papers.  

A part of me was so happy he asked, wanting to jump on the offer before he finished the sentence. I knew this would be difficult to decline, so I did the complete opposite. 

***

We walked through the gardens, the smell of daisies filling the air. It seemed we were a dream, dazing along as the night wore on. At some point, Kannan and I had locked arms, I tried to tell myself it was for warmth. 

I couldn’t indulge myself, we had to leave, and soon. I couldn’t be with him, with his curly hair and button nose. Gosh, life was easier when I wasn’t in love. I had to tell him, it wouldn’t be fair. Throughout the hours, I was racking my head on the next step. Trying to calculate the perfect time to jump on the moment. 

Then as we had settled at a bench, his head inclined to the stars. I feel like the entire galaxy could be reflected in those eyes alone. I had my chance, it was quiet, and already reaching the point of returning home. 

“I have to leave, you realize that right,” I murmured, we had discussed it, but never in great detail. 

“I thought I was enough,” he whispered. 

“Are you the reason I’m staying?” I asked, looking at his face. “Or are you the reason I’m leaving?” 

He seemed to pause at that, what was the definition of our relationships. Lovers, enemies, haters, suitors, prince and captain. He flickered between confusion, doubt raining over him. 

“I’m not really sure, but I think you're the only reason I’m here.” he argued, and something in me softened. He wanted me, I wanted him. This can’t happen, I told myself. 

Yet, under the soft glow of the moon, I tried to calm these thoughts. This would be the last night we would have, at least if everything went according to plan. That night, I kissed him, and for the first time. I didn't need waves to drift me to sleep. 

***

Enemies, a tricky thing, to hate someone with your full being. Yet, it’s easy, you can hate someone with no remorse. Letting all the disgust radiate from your words to your actions. 

Lovers are the hard part, to balance every word and complete every day with them. It felt so weighted, a new mark on your life, another thing to worry about. 

That’s why we couldn’t work, I told myself, we would’ve ended up in the middle with no answer. 

I let her leave. 

I left him where he was needed. 

Both have the same thought, the dear loyalty and the burning passion. However, one was sentenced to live his life behind a desk.

The other, well.

She was in love with the sea. 

February 05, 2022 03:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.