0 comments

General

"Stupid. That's all it is. I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of it." I growled. "Oh come on Kalley, it's gonna be fun. Please come with us!" "No thanks. You guys go have fun." "Kalley, just because you got stood up last year-" "Stop. Okay? Just stop. Just accept the fact I'm done with high school boys and dances and leave it at that." I stood and left.

I got out to my car and saw a note on the windshield. I opened it.

Dear Kalley,

I would be honored if you would go to prom with me on Saturday. Now, I know you don't want to go but, I think I can convince you. Give me until the end of the day Friday, and if you still don't want to go, I won't ask again.

Sincerely, Someone You Know.

I looked around to see if I could find someone watching me, but everyone seemed to be minding their own business. I sighed and got in my car. Why wouldn't they tell me who they were? I reached over to throw the note away, but hesitated. What was the point? But this would be interesting to see. I folded the note and put it in the jockey box. ******

Day 2: Tuesday

I got to school and opened my locker to find another note and a bouquet of bluebells. I opened the note. I know these are your favorite. Sorry for breaking into your locker.

I chuckled and put the note in my bag and carefully put the flowers on the little shelf in my locker. I went to first period and sat next to my one guy friend. "Hey Kalley." "Hey Nicky." "Hey, someone put something in your locker this morning." I jumped a little. "Did you see who it was?" "Sorry I didn't recognize him. What was it?" I showed him the note and told him about the flowers. "You should go with him. It seems like he really likes you. Especially if he knows your favorite flower."

Day 3: Wednesday

At lunch time, I was eating lunch in the bed of my truck. My phone went off. It was a video from an unknown number. I played it. A guy dressed in a Spider-Man costume stood on a roof. "Hey Kalley! Yes, I'm the guy asking you to prom. I'm really hoping you'll say yes on Friday. I have a surprise for you on the roof of the school. Meet me here in 20 minutes."

What the crap? This guy really wanted me to go to prom with him. I finished my lunch and started for the front doors, but stopped and looked up at the roof. I sighed. I was going to regret this. I went around back and made my way to the roof. 'Spider-Man' stood there, waiting for me. I walked up to him. "So have I convinced you yet?" He asked. "Maybe. I have a feeling I'm gonna regret it if I say yes." He chuckled. "So what's this surprise?" He held his hand out. "Let me show you." I hesitantly took it. He pulled me to the edge that faced the building next to us. "Leave your bag here and put this on." He handed me a harness. I gave him a quizzical look, but did so. He put one on too and hooked into a rope I didn't notice was there. He clipped me onto him and put an arm around my waist. "Ready?" "We are not going off are we?" "Hang on tight." "No. Nonononono-Ahhhhh!!!!" I screamed as we jumped off the roof and swung down toward the ground. We slowly went back up, then back toward the school roof, like a swing. Eventually, we were both laughing with excitement.******

Day 4: Thursday

Jessie came up to me before school. "Hey, so have you decided yet?" "About what?" "You know what. C'mon Kall. He's obviously crazy about you." I just rolled my eyes. "Anyway, I'm supposed to give this to you." She handed me a note. I opened it. A surprise is waiting for you in first period. Hope you like it. I walked a little faster and got to my desk. A Spider-Man hoodie sat folded on my desk with another note. Be my MJ? I smelled it to see if I could make out the person's smell, then a little stuffed wolf fell out of it. I hid my smile behind the hoodie. How could I ever break this boy's heart? But could I risk him breaking mine?

Day 5: Friday

'Spider-Man' sent me another video after school. "Hi Kalley! Hopefully I've convinced you that going to prom with the right person is totally worth it and that it's okay to love someone again. If I've convinced you to give me a shot, I will be waiting at the spot where you and Nick first met. If you haven't come by 3, I'll assume you're not coming. Please don't feel like you have to accept. I really want us to be friends either way." *** I made it to the boat dock where I first met Nicky. And sure enough, there he was. "You're my someone I know." I said as I walked out to him. "You say that like you already knew." I shrugged, "I had my suspicions. You're the only one who knows me that well. I'm pretty sure even Jessie doesn't know my favorite flower." We both laughed. "So?" He looked at me through his brown hair. "Will you give me a chance?" I just stared at him, unsure what to say. He took my hand. "Kall....Love is supposed to be scary. You're supposed to take risks. That's what makes it worth it. What Tyler did to you wasn't right. But I would never hurt you like that.....You know me. You know I couldn't do that." He wiped a tear away that I didn't even know was there. I shrugged and rolled my eyes with a smile. "Yea." A huge smile grew across his face. "Really?" "Yea, really." He lifted me in his arms and spun me around. "Yes!!"


December 15, 2019 05:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.