0 comments

Christmas Fiction Holiday

Nathan Wassum and I have been dating for 7 years now. We're what you'd call high school sweethearts. Ever since we met I knew he was the one. Since we've both graduated college I think it's finally time we... you know (saying it is a little embarrassing). I spent so long figuring out the best way to ask, the best place, the best ring, the best material. I know it's not conventional for a woman to propose to a man, but come on, it's 2020, who's conventional anymore? 

Anyway, I finally settled on throwing a cookie exchange party and inviting all of our friends. None of them have any idea what I have planned! It’s going to be the most magical moment of my life. Sure, Nathan has his flaws, but who doesn’t? Plus, in the words of my mother, “do it while you’re still young, or you’ll miss your chance". It was a tradition in my household. I want my moment to be perfect. I decided that separate to my plate of home-made cookies, that I would make another batch, making sure that it turned out perfectly, just for Nathan. To make him feel special you know? 

It was a half an hour before the party and I’m sitting in my living room waiting anxiously for my love and my friends to show. Not even 20 minutes later, they started to stream through the door, one by one. Nathan was the last one in as punctuality was never really his strong suit. He looked at me lovingly as he hung up his coat, he always ramped up the theatrics around others. He gave me a sweet kiss and thanked me for setting this all up. My best friend David shot me a look. Then he said exactly what I knew he would. “Ew. If you two were planning on being all cute the whole time this should’ve been a couple’s cookie date.” 

I laughed. “Davie you act like you aren’t like this with Mark around all of us.”

He sighed. “Yeah you’re right… And I would be right now if he wasn’t away in Barbados. Ugh businessmen. Hate to love 'em.” He slouched back in his chair, daydreaming about his husband. 

There was a long moment of silence as we all looked at David with jealousy. His relationship with Mark is the definition of true love and there wasn’t a single member of our group who wasn’t at least a little envious of their love, even those of us in relationships of our own. 

Lina stood up with force, jingling the bells entangled into her hair. Definitely the most jolly-merry person in the entire world with the exception of Santa himself. “OK. Enough relationship stuff. It’s Christmas! And this is a cookie party, not a Saturday girl’s night out! Let’s bust out the cider and stuff ourselves with cookies!” We let out a unanimous amen, and the party has begun.

We all set our home-made cookies on the table, set up the other snacks I pressed play on my Christmas music playlist, and pulled out the card and board games. Throughout the night we played dozens of rounds of Pick-Up Sticks, Poker, Black Jack, and other games, while happily eating everyone’s cookies. Nathan kept losing, which he didn’t like very much. He’s the biggest sore loser I’ve ever met but it really brings out his competitive fire. “You know what? I’m tired of playing. I’m done. Let’s watch a movie or something. This blows.” His cheeks were red with frustration.

“Not so good at being a good loser huh? Loser. Hahaha!” David giggled. 

“Oh shut up!” said Nathan, obviously irritated.

I decided that was my cue to deescalate the situation. “Come on Davie don’t make fun of the man, he gets really invested in these games.” I turned over to Nathan making sure to smile. “Hey baby, it’s ok. You can’t win all the time.” I addressed the group next. “OK. I’m gonna go get some food while you guys choose a movie to watch. Anyone want anything?”

“Oh yes! Can you get me some more cider please?” Said Lina.

“Ummmm I guess I could always have more chips, OH! You’ve GOT to make some popcorn while you’re at it!” David winked. 

“Ahaha you’re right-” I turned to my boyfriend, “And anything for you?” 

He looked at me. “Five cookies.” He said grumpily. I sighed and headed to the kitchen. Finally I had some alone time to go over my plan. While I gathered the snacks the group asked for, I snuck upstairs into my room where I was hiding my surprise. I had to be extra sneaky, I didn’t want to spoil my magical moment.

I came back downstairs and made sure the arrangement on the tray was perfect. Making sure there was enough popcorn for all four of us, making sure there were enough chips in the bag, that the cider was warm but not tongue burningly hot, and making sure that the five cookies were the best and the most special ones. No matter what this was going to be my perfect, magical moment. Down to the smallest details. I brought out the snack tray, set it on the floor in front of where the group was watching Christmas Carol, definitely Nathan’s choice, seeing as it is his favorite Christmas movie of all time. Everyone mumbled a thank you, obviously invested in the story. I watched Nathan take a bite of the perfect cookie and I knew it was time for my moment. I paused the movie. “Guys? I have something to say.”

“Ugh don’t say you don’t like this movie. It took us ages to settle on one” David said. He looked at me as though the movie selection had destroyed his mental energy. “Your little hubby over there wouldn’t agree on any of our suggestions” He rolled his eyes and Nathan looked at him tiredly.

I spoke up. “Um speaking of hubby… Nathan, I have something I’d like to ask you” I stood up and he followed my lead. I took a huge deep breath. In and out. I could do this. I could ask. I was about to make this the most magical moment. “Nathan, we’ve been dating since junior year of high school, and although we’ve had our ups and downs, although we’ve had plenty of fights and disagreements, we always pulled through in the end. I couldn’t imagine being in any other relationship” It seemed like Lina had caught onto what was happening. Her face had suddenly lit up and she looked like she was about to explode. “Nathan Wassum,” I knelt down. “Will you make me the happiest girl in the world and-”

 I didn’t even get to finish. Nathan grabbed my shoulders, pulled me up to my feet and kissed me. He looked me straight in the face and said “Yes.” Lina screamed with excitement. I was completely speechless. My magical moment. It happened. My mother would’ve been proud. 

After a quick round of congratulations and a cup of cider to celebrate, we finished watching the movie. After everyone had left, I started cleaning up. When I brought all the dirty dishes to the kitchen, I looked over at the plate of special cookies I made just for my love. My now fiancé. I smiled at them, thanking them for being the excuse to gather everyone here. I went to sleep that night, satisfied with how the day had gone. Moving forward, I would get to reap the joys from my magical moment. 

****

It’s been 8 days since the party. I woke up this morning excited to start the day with a nice cup of coffee and the morning news. I sat down on my couch and turned on the TV.

Welcome to New York Morning News. Today is Monday, December 28th, 2020, and it is chilly outside at 46 degrees Fahrenheit. This morning we have some devastating news to share with you all. A man by the name of Nathan Wassum passed away last night, reportedly while out at a restaurant with a group of his coworkers…” I dropped my cup. I stared blankly at the screen while the reporter continued, “...police suspect that he was poisoned. Eight grams of arsenic was found in his blood stream when paramedics performed a test…” I couldn’t bear to watch anymore. I turned off the TV and took myself to the restroom. 

I gazed into my eyes in the mirror, and a smile crept onto my lips. The words of my mother flitted through my head. “Do it while you’re still young, or you’ll miss your chance.” and I did. I did it mother. Are you proud? My perfect, magical moment. I thought back to my special cookies, just for my dear, and thanked them again. 

The End.

December 08, 2020 19:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.