0 comments

General

One August day in Brooklyn, three men stand outside the entrance to the mall, whispering. 

"A reliable source said Corey Weaver's in this mall. We must kill him before he can get to the police and tell them we have counterfeit food stamps. Mr. Daniels will pay 100,000 dollars for those stamps. Get Corey Weaver. Understand?"

"We understand, Boss."

One by one, they enter the mall. They search the crowd. 

The Boss points to the second floor. "There's Corey."

Corey sees the Boss and runs.

"Sal, you take the left stairs, Paulie, you take a right. I'll go up the middle. Let's get this bastard."

Corey tries to blend into the crowd. He's startled to see Paulie knocking over people to get to him. He stops, turns, and runs in the opposite direction. Sal shoves people aside, trying to reach as Corey. He stops and looks around the mall.

"Where can I go? What can I do?" 

The sign on the wall that reads, "Exit to Garage." 

After dashing through the hallway, Cory bursts through the garage's double doors and bolts down the ramp.

Sal crashes through the door, followed by the Boss and Paulie. They watch as Corey rounds the pillar and disappears. 

The Boss pulls out a walkie talkie. "We're on the third level walking towards you. Corey's running towards you, Joe. Keep your eyes open." 

"Be careful, fellas, Corey might hide between any of these cars."

The men walk down the ramp, searching between, behind, and under every vehicle. 

On a lower level, a motorcycle revs its engine. It's screeching tires echo through the garage.

"Joe, bring the car."

The Mercedes Benz speeds along the ramp, chasing Corey on his motorcycle. The bike swerves and exits through the gates of the entrance. Joe, behind the wheel of the Merćedes, slams on the brakes, stopping before rear-ending a car waiting to exit.

The Boss slams his fist into the dashboard. "Go around, Joe. Follow him."

Joe backs up the Benz and speeds through the entranceway. 

"Where the Hell is he?" 

As they drive along checking every street, they see Corey two blocks south. Joe makes a left turn and races towards Corey. The Benz passes three stop signs. People in the crosswalks curse and scurry. Corey glances in his mirror. The Mercedes is gaining on him. A jerk of the motorcycle's handlebars and the bike turns right. The Mercedes follows. Pedestrians stop and stare. When they realize what's happening, they panic. Corey jumps the curb, and pedestrians shatter. The car keeps pace. People scream and point. The two vehicles increase their speed as they careen through the block. Corey glances over his shoulder. Caught in traffic, the Benz slows. Corey throttles the engine and smiles.

Further along the sidewalk, children are playing in an open fire hydrant. They're spraying streams of water on passing vehicles. Corey can't stop. He brakes, but it's not enough to stop him from colliding into the children. As Corey approaches the children, he revs his engine and hops on top of parked cars. Children and passersby gawk as the motorcycle rolls over three vehicles. As the bike slides off, it wobbles across the blacktop and crashes into an SUV. Corey's tumbles onto the street.

He scrambles to his feet, picks up the motorcycle, and tries to restart it. Meanwhile, in vain, Joe blows the horn, trying to get traffic to move. 

Corey can't restart the motorcycle. The Benz inches closer. A little closer and Paulie can jump out of the vehicle and capture Corey. Out of the corner of his eye, Corey sees Paulie step out of the car. Paulie darts past cars to get to Corey. The tries to restart the motorcycle. Corey pulls the choke in and out and turns the key. The engine starts. A wheelie helps Corey to escape inches from Paulie's grasp. Pauline runs back to the car, and the pursuit continues. 

"Where do you think he's going, Boss?"

"The area underneath Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges called DUMBO, Joe."

"Lot of construction around there."

"Just follow Corey."

The two vehicles navigate their way south on the parkway.

The vehicles dodging in and out of traffic, Corey drove on the wrong side of the parkway for two blocks. But Joe kept the motorcycle insight. Corey stays in the left lane as the two vehicles exceed the speed limit. Corey waits for the last second before cutting across traffic and making a left turn. The Benz follows him. 

At the end of the block, a commercial sanitation truck blocks traffic. The motorcycle screeches to a stop. Corey revs the bikes' engine while he thinks. He's confident the Mercedes won't follow onto the narrow sidewalk. The Mercedes brakes hard. Corey smiles to himself until, to his surprise, he looks into his rearview mirror. The Mercedes is driving behind him on the sidewalk. 

It's a tight fit for the Benz. The Benz Knocks over garbage cans kicks up gravel until it skids to the corner and bounces onto the street. For a moment, Joe lost sight of Corey. The Mercedes cruises the road. Three blocks away, they hear a motorcycle. They drive towards the sound. As the Benz makes a left, they see Corey. Before Corey realizes it, the Mercedes is a half a block away. 

The Boss leans forward. "Don't lose him this time."

Joe responds by accelerating. 

Corey leans left and right, weaving his way around vehicles, but he can't elude the Benz.

 They're underneath a bridge, zigzagging through the construction sites. The cobblestone streets are damp. Traction and control of the vehicles become difficult. Vehicles pull to the side of the road when they see the speeding cars approaching.

Corey notices he is running out of fuel.closed to He has to do something. He could hide behind one of the tractor-trailers parked along the streets. 

The vehicles zip through the streets, go against traffic, drive on sidewalks, and make fishtail turns. 

Corey makes a series of right turns to let the Mercedes get closer. The motorcycle turns left. The Mercedes follows. Unable to make the turn, the Merćedes slides on the cobblestones and slams into a truck and burst into flames.

Corey brakes and looks back at the crash and shakes his head. The 84th precinct is blocks away. He has enough gas to get there.

July 17, 2020 22:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.