ZAP'S GOLD

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

(This story is set on planet GAIA2, earth’s twin, which is about eight centuries behind but is evolving.)

I am Minz, a resident of Rumba. I am a young man and am a good archer and good at chariot racing besides. My father had been a captain of a ship, and early on I became a good swimmer and could captain a ship as well. I was fond of frequenting Marine Bar where seamen would gather. That evening I was there when an elderly man dropped in. Somebody told me “That is Captain Col retired after many years of seafaring.” My interest was aroused and I approached him where he was seated on a bench.

I wished him and said “I’m Minz.” I explained who I was. I said “Sir, I’ve come to this bar many times but have never seen you here.”

Col laughed and said “That is because I rarely visit Rumba. I’m an old salt and though retired, still like  to go where ships go.”

I said “It’s my privilege to be chatting with you this evening. Allow me to be the host.”

I clapped and a server came. I ordered drinks for both of us. Col said “Thanks.”

When the drinks were served, we raised our jugs and wished each other’s health. As he took a swig I said “Sir, I have been told you’ve travelled long and far and must have had many experiences. Why don’t you relate something which you remember well?” He nodded.

I called the service and said “Give us some stewed fish to go with the drink.” I turned to Col and said “The fish stew here is deliciously marinated and is said to be the piece de resistance of this bar.”

He said “I know. It’s tasty and I’ve had it before.”

As he took another swig at his drink Col asked “Have you heard of Monkey Island in the Colada Sea?”

I shook my head uncertainly.

He said “That means you haven’t heard of Zap’s gold.”

I said “Not exactly. I’ve heard of it as a sort of legend.”

“I’ll tell you the truth about it. Monkey Island is where aboriginals live and where Zap went.  It is in a distant place and is occupied by primitive people. Others don’t normally approach the island as the tribes are hostile. Still some of us have joined them adopting their living style. When I joined them there I didn’t have a shred of clothing on.”

 The fish hors d’oeuvre now arrived and Col taking a bite said “Tastes good.”

He continued “I was telling you about the primitives of Monkey Island. Not very far from it in the mainland was a gold mine. Gold ore brought up was purified and melted, converted into bricks and stored near the port. Those bricks would be moved periodically for being made into coins. Hearing of a hoard of gold, the pirate Zap decided to seize it. He made a sudden attack and seizing available gold sailed away.”

He took a swig at his drink and said “First tell me what you’ve heard about Zap and  Zap’s gold.”

I said “It is said Zap had sailed to an Island and buried the gold there for later retrieval. The gold was to be shared between Zap and his crew. Nothing more is known about him.”

“That’s what people say but I’ll tell you more about the matter. Zap knew Monkey Island was safe with the tribals preventing entry into it. He knew he could befriend the people and be accepted but now there was some disgruntlement among his men and there was mutiny. Many of the crew were killed. Those killed were later buried on Monkey Island and wooden staves in their memory were installed. That is what I was told by the Chief of the island. Since then several attempts have been made to locate the gold but the tribal folk were vigilant and none could get on the island and search for it.”

Col paused to swallow one more mouthful of the liquor and then said “I decided to venture into the island and retrieve the gold. I got a big ship named DRAGON and set sail with my crew. I had carried several fancy gifts for the natives including imitation jewellery. My distributing the gifts had a big draw. A large number of native women were attracted and I was welcomed. Of course I had to be in the same state of undress like them. I found it a bit embarrassing to be totally nude, but the situation demanded it and I was accepted. My crew stayed on the ship or beside it. The tribal chief presented me two young women Jun and Chik besides a house for us to stay in near the sea. The women were lively and jointly kept me company.  Advantage of being young!” He laughed and added “Get what I mean?”

I said “Well understood. I think you’re a lucky guy.”

He again laughed and said “I had a few meetings with the chief – an old man - and got to know a little about Zap. The chief also told me that Jun was closely related to him. And Chik was the daughter of the chief witch. I tried tapping the Chief about Zap but only understood part of what he had to say. I understood that Zap had died. The women seemed to know nothing about Zap or gold.” Col paused and then added “In a few days I found Chik understood me more and was the more intelligent of the two. I made no attempt to patronize either of them, but Jun was unhappy and quarrelled with Chik. The result was they stopped their joint endeavours with me in bed which distressed me. I went to the chief and he confirmed Jun’s dissatisfaction with me for favouring Chik. He told me by sign language that Jun had gone to the chief witch to cast a spell on me using a strand from her mount of Venus: It was to make me sexually inactive. However the spell didn’t apparently act as I was as active as ever in bed with one or the other of them.”

I said “Lucky you!”

He continued “The chief asked me to make up quickly with the women as the spells were very powerful. Meantime Chik took me to her grandmother who was also a witch. The old woman had no teeth and standing near me said something to Chik. Later Chik by signs made me understand that the old woman had negated the spell cast on me by Jun’s witch. Of course I was conscious of it!”

“I got Chik to take me to the burial place. It was in a highly forested area and I saw wooden staves with names inscribed which were hardly readable. I guessed they were Zap’s men.  At this time there was a sudden fire on a tree and it rapidly spread. Chik ran with me leaving the area and we stood watching. Chik said that it was Jun’s doing by witchcraft. Just then a tree fell and I saw near its roots what appeared to be a subterranean chamber closed by what looked like a portion of a ship. The lid was hot and Chik helped me to uncover it. Inside it was a tablet etched with the following message: ’I am Zap. My ship with seized gold sank. Some of my depleted crew and I came ashore. I was wounded. I ordered two of my men to cast my body into the sea if I died. I haven’t buried any gold. This tablet was made on my orders to be buried somewhere so that the truth about the seized gold is known.’ The message disappointed me as I had hoped to find the gold.”

I asked “Then what happened on Monkey Island? What more news of Jun and Chik?”

He said “I fled the island in my ship leaving the women behind.”

By now Col was drunk and said “Minz dance with me. It is a dance which Jun and Chik had taught me. It has to be danced nude with bodies touching. Join me.”

I noticed that the woman at the bar who cleaned the place had left, and joined Col just as he wanted!

END

May 04, 2021 12:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.