0 comments

Mystery Adventure Fantasy

An icy breeze nipped at my skin, my worn black winter boots crunched in the snow.  The soft white wool felt soft against my hands.  Something was wrong, very wrong.  Oppressiveness hung heavily in the air.  Whispers exploded around me, fear stopping me in my tracks.  My heart stopped beating, an invisible hand ripping my maroon winter cap off of my tight curly gray hair.  Panic widened my dark brown eyes, my hot breath fogging up my glasses.  Darn my black cat running into the cold winter night.    

“Can you play hide and seek with me?” A wispy child’s voice inquired behind me. “It has been a long time since I have played such winter games.  I know where your fluffy black cat is.”  Sighing, my arms crossed across my chest.  I could spend the whole evening searching for my cat or trust this spirit child.  His energy was gentle and childlike, yet my guard was kept up.  

“Sure.” I muttered, my teeth chattering like a pair of maracas. “I will need to see what you look like though.”  White mist formed in front of me, a carbon copy of my grandfather as a child appeared before me.  His newsboy cap sat just off the side of his wild mop of dark curls, old time trousers floated away from his legs.  Two leather suspenders lay on a wrinkled yellowed shirt.  Dark brown eyes glittered excitedly, a large childish grin dancing across his face.  When he spoke no smoky breath blew from his blue lips.  

“You hide while I count.” He ushered, waving me away. “One, Two, Three-”  The hard snow crunched beneath my boots, cool air biting at my face.  Out of breath, my eyes scanned to a small cave.  Rubbing my mittens together, my boots crunched over to it.  Sighing, the ground was hard and cold, my bottom touching the frozen rock beneath me.  Mere moments passed, honestly I was just praying he would find me.  Something glinted in the far corner of the gray speckled rock.   

“Found you.” A cheerful voice announced, making me jump out of my skin. “I need your help.”  His eyes darted between the ground and me, anxiousness burning in his eyes.  Sadness crashed through me, forming a deep frown on my lips.  

“What do you need?” I inquired, glancing back at the shiny object in the rocks. “Is it something you are looking for?”  Sighing deeply, he fell to his knees.  His small ghost hands cupped his cheeks, tears falling to the cave floor.  They sparkled like diamonds in the pale moonlight, guilt slapping me in my face.  

“Can you get me something, so I can move on to my next life?” He asked, standing to his feet. “I need something only a psychic and empathetic human being can get.  At the end of the cave is a round door to the next dimension.  I left my ball there.  You see only someone like you can open the door and get it.  I desperately want to go upstairs to be with my parents, but can’t without it.”  A lump formed in my throat, a mix of wonder and fright filling my eyes.  A round door formed in front of me, an ancient gold handle shimmered in the darkness.  His need for my help forced me to pull at the handle.  The door squealed open, revealing a dark empty forest.  Dead trees twisted, reaching for the sky.  Eerie fog coated the ragged dirt forest floor, my boots echoing in the strange quietness.  

Before the boy could wave goodbye,  the door slammed shut.  There was nothing here, no lost souls, just emptiness.  Loneliness watched over me, a small girl stepping forward.  Her dark brown hair curled around her shoulder, brown eyes twinkling with delight.  White lace sat on her dainty collar bone, soft blue silk flowing from the collar.   

“Is that Edgar on the other side?” She queried wearily, touching my mittens oddly. “We were on our way to the light, and he lost his ball.  I want to be reunited with him, granddaughter.”  My heart fell to my stomach, a strange mixture of terror and shock widening my eyes.  My lips parted to speak, but stopped.  

“I thought you guys were in Heaven, or something like that.” I stammered, taking a deep breath. “How did you get stuck here?”  Hot salty tears flooded from her eyes, her lip quivering with grief.  

Shaking her head, she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.  

“I am not the only one here.” She explained, plopping down on the ground. “A dark monster keeps the others and I here.  I, no we all want out.  Can you help us?”  Confusion twisted my painted lips, my eyes scanning her face for lies.  

“How do I fix the situation here?” I retorted coolly, annoyed that she just assumed that I had an answer. “I am only human after all.”  A scowl formed on her thin pink lips, her arms crossing across her chest.  Her black flats tapped excessively on the forest floor, just like she did in her long life.  

“Think about it.” She exclaimed, tapping her head. “That ball was the answer.  You find it, and trap it in there.  The world fades away, people get to go home.”  Rolling my eyes, annoyance burned in them.  Her attitude was certainly still as vivid as it was in life.  Before I could protest, a small black ball rolled to my feet, my trembling fingers wrapping tightly around it.  Clearly this was my only way out of this mess.  Gulping, my boots stepped forward, only to be stopped by a pair of little girl’s hands.  

“Be careful, little rabbit.” She cooed, wrapping her cold arms around my legs. “Finish what I can't.”  Letting go,  a soft smile curled on her lips.  Cold metal dropped into my hand, my jaw dropping at the sight of it.  An onyx gem glittered back up at me, this was her wedding ring.  My eyes grew wet, tears starting to form.

“I can’t keep this.” I whispered, wrapping my fingers around it. “This is for you and only you.”  Shaking her head, the curls bouncing around her pale face.  My heart was shattering into millions of pieces.  

“I have no use for it since I am deader than a doorknob, dear.” She mused, slipping it on my finger. “This will help you when you need it the most.”  Tears flooded from my eyes, her spirit disappearing.  Alone, I was alone now.  Alas not for long.  Quakes shook the ground, a large half goat man stepping into view.  His black fur fluffed about in his wind, the hoofs cracked and chipping.  Large golden horns curled around two small triangular ears, red eyes glowering back at me.  Terror paralyzed my body, my mind begging for me to run.  It was time to fight, and free every trapped soul.  Hot stale breath knocked me back, nauseating my fragile stomach.  Small hands pushed me back up, orbs flying at the large demon.  His black claws flailed around as one would swat flies.  My head tilted, the ring on my hand glowing in the dim world around me, the ball floating out of my hand.  Red light exploded around me, the large demon howling incessantly.  His body was getting sucked into the small black ball.  In a moment the fog was gone, leaving behind a large meadow of yellow flowers.  Peacefulness relaxed me, orbs bobbing into the sky.  A large smile curling on my lips, small fingers wrapping around mine.   

“Thank you my dear.” My grammy said graciously. “Your hope and positivity saved us all.”  The meadow faded away to the cave, my grandfather running to her.  Their hands wrapped around each other.  Tears welled up in my eyes, watching them float into the sky.  Soft fur rubbed up against my leg, a tiny meow greeting my joyous ears.  Black Magic leapt into my arms, purring loudly.  

“I missed you, too.” I sobbed, scratching her ears. “Let’s go home.”  Scooping up the black ball at my feet, we walked into the chilly winter night.

December 15, 2021 21:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.