Our Own Little Escape

Submitted into Contest #12 in response to: Write a story that features an ensemble cast of characters.... view prompt

1 comment

General

"The popular girls thinking they're so special, all dying their hair blonde together and posting it on Instagram. They remind me of a cult." Victoria states with a disgusted look on her face as a group of girls enter the lunchroom. They all wear the least amount of clothes they can get away with. Today, they all sports bleach blonde hair with their roots already coming in dark. I snort. "Let's see how many people they can get away with today.." Joey says as a group of 15 girls attempt to cram into a table meant for 8. Sometimes the lunch monitor catches them, but they look triumphant as they all sit without getting reprimanded by the lunch monitor. I look around at my own table; 3 people, the perfect amount to me. Victoria, who we all call tiny, (which fits her perfect), looks like a Victorian doll, with her dark, hair and bangs. Today she sports a black turtleneck sweater and jeans to match her dark Ray Bands. She's the dramatic one of all of us, and I've known her the longest. If she has something to say, she will definitely say it, which is the opposite of Joey. He prefers to be patient and make everybody happy with agreeing with everything. He sports curly blonde hair and gentle eyes. He's newer to the group, but he's still the best listener. We all stick together through the horrors of high school. "Hey Simon, put down the book so I can show you my new dice for DND." Us three are all in the same dungeons and dragons guild, and its the only topic Joey will talk a lot about. I look up from my book and adjust my glasses. "That looks fire, Joey. Our old ones paint got scratched off last game, so this is perfect." I'm rolling around the dice in my hand as something hits me in the back of the head; and of course, turn to see the football team throwing grapes. An improvement from throwing carrots. I roll my eyes as the bell rings. I grab my stuff and walk with Joey and Victoria quickly to avoid the football team, and head to the office. "One day I'll pound them to dust." Victoria huffs as we approach the front desk and sign our names on the clipboard. "Oh cmon Vick, theyre twice the size of you," I say as I set down the pen. I see Joey hide a smile as he bows his head. We walk out of the school to my mom's car, which always waits at the same spot. She waves as we all cram in the backseat. She turns to us. "Hows the terrific threesome?" We all groan in unanimous. "Mom, do you even know what threesome means?" I say as I buckle my seat belt. Mom laughs. "A group of three people?" We all laugh and shake out heads as Mom pulls out of the school. The three of us always leave after lunch; group therapy starts at 1. We get there and all enter, and it goes without hiccups; normal. Talking about school, questions, and all that jazz. It lasts till 3 and Victoria's mom picks us up. "How's my favorite gang doing?" She says as we enter. "Fine," Vick says quickly. We quickly drive back to Victoria's house and get out our Dungeons and Dragons board. We get out our pieces and I get our supplies. As the leader, I have to create the storyline, and boy has I got ideas for today. We all smile as we know we will all escape out of reality once more, into our beautiful world of dragons. A world where fake popular girls are princesses and arrogant jocks are brave knights and merchants. A world where anxiety can't get us here. A place where depression doesn't exist. We all know if we could, we would stay here forever.

October 23, 2019 01:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cam Croz
01:23 Oct 24, 2019

Nice! You answered the prompt really well! 😉👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.