Gears and hearts

Written in response to: Set your story beyond our own world.... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction Adventure Romance

Bright blinded me as my eyes fluttered open, flies buzzing around me.  A pile of garbage and body parts lay beneath me, my red eyes scanning the area.  Dust covered my corset ball gown, my brown top hat sitting on a twisted bun.  People walked by quickly in suits with gears, and clocks dangling from their gloved hands.  Horse Drawn carriages trotted by, bouncing on the cobblestone road.  A woman in a black Victorian dress screamed at me, running in the opposite direction.  This world could only be described as a steampunk fantasy world.  Struggling to my feet, my gears whirred angrily.  Climbing on top of the trash pile, I looked into the window.  Dismay destroyed me, my creator lay dead in a ruby pool.  His once gray hair was now red as a rose.  My black boots slipped on a slick metal garbage pail, air rushing around me as I fell  to the streets.  Closing my eyes, my body bracing for impact.  Nothing happened, strong arms holding me up awkwardly.  

“You are a pretty android.” He commented, smoothing my long wavy brown hair. “What is your name?”  My heart skipped a beat, my cheeks flushing at the sight of a very handsome man in a white lab coat.  His dark brown hair hung around his shoulders, his green eyes twinkling excitedly.  

“Mina.” I stammered, stepping back. “My master is inside, but he threw me out here for some reason.” His lips parted, but strange men in black suits with badges appeared in the head of the alleyway.  A groan erupted from his lips, his strong hands throwing me over his shoulders.  Hopping a fence gracefully, the men hollered behind us.  His black boots pounded the back streets, splashing through many puddles.  Brick houses flashed by me, people gasping in disbelief.  Water soaked the bottom of my dress, his boots skidding to a stop in front of a large black Victorian mansion.  A sign reading Dr. James Franklin swung in the fall breeze, his hands setting me down.  

“Someone must want you.” He pondered out loud, pulling me inside. “Do you have any idea who it could possibly be?”  Nodding, my eyes widened at the beauty of the  home.  Purple walls were all around me, ornate cherry woodwork attracted my attention.  A picture of an older man and woman sat on a table by the door.  Gears sat everywhere, old newspapers were scattered all around.  

“What is this place?” I queried, watching him toy with the golden goggles on his wild mess of hair. “Why were those people after me?” His head tilted, a goofy grin dancing across his face.  He placed a stethoscope over my ample chest, my heart beating faster.  Excitement glimmered in his eyes, his finger tracing over my mechanical arm.   

“I can’t believe it.” He mused, taking off my hat. “You are still seventy five percent human.  You are the first human with mechanical parts in you.”  Confusion twisted my face, my head tilting oddly.  I didn’t understand.  Truthfully my memories begin about a year ago, blank thoughts only existing before that.  

“I don’t understand.” I said calmly, smoothing out my red silk skirt. “Why don’t I remember anything  from beyond  a week ago?”  Rubbing his chin, he chuckled to himself.  His hand wrapped around a leather bound notebook, paper bursting out of it.  

“Do you remember his name?” He asked, bending my mechanical arm. “It is okay if you don’t.  I do remember a nearly dead woman named Mina disappearing.”  My heart stopped beating his face inches from mine, our breath being held.  

“Dr. Franken.” I guessed, touching his face. “Does that mean anything to you?”  Horror dimmed his face, a scowl curling on his lips.  He pulled back and crossed his arms, his foot tapping rapidly.  A growl tumbled from his lips, a deep sigh flowing from his lips.  

“That monster.” He growled, resting his hand on his forehead. “Of course he would throw you away.  Do you know how many people he has killed before you?  Worse yet, he dug up bodies.  Oh right, I should tell you that he was my father.  His ethics are most despicable, most distasteful.” Tears welled up in his eyes, his gaze sweeping the world outside. 

“Sorry for your loss.” I apologized warmly, grabbing his hand.  His gaze met mine, sorrow burning deeply in them.  He shifted uncomfortably, pulling his hand away.  A strange new emotion rattled my brain, almost as if my heart was breaking.   His lips parted to speak, but a loud knock interrupted us.  His breath grew short, his finger pointing to a hidden panel.  The door burst open, my creator standing there.  His nostrils flared furiously, his face red with anger.  

“Give her back!” He ordered as three men appeared behind him. “She belongs to a special client.”  Dr. Franken placed his arm in front of me, standing firmly in place.  My creator’s brow furrowed, a snarl forming on his thin lips.

“No way!” Franken shouted back at him. “She is not anyone’s property.”  The old man laughed maniacally to himself, his disguise fading away to a tall lanky man with dark eyes.  His wool suit clung to his clammy gray skin.  A skull glinted in my eyes, the head resting on an onyx stick.  Slow motion his skeletal hands pulled the head out of the cane, a bullet silently exploding from the small hole.  Leaping in front of my hero, pain shot through my body.  The bullet landing in my right lung, breath escaping me.  My body crumpled to his feet, blood oozing from the wound.  Spikes stabbed my lungs walls, each heart beat opening the hole further.  

“He was supposed to program you a slave.” The strange man with oily hair chided icily. “I don’t believe in free will of any sort. “I have no use for either of you.”  His arm raised to Franken’s heart, his finger itching at the trigger.  With a flash of white, the strange man fell to the ground, his eyes wild with confusion.  

“How?” The man wheezed, clenching at his chest. “What did you do?”  A crooked grin danced across Franken’s face, his brow cocking confidently.  My world was starting to spin around me, the men blurring as they fell to the ground as well.  

“Heart attack bullets.” He answered, putting his small gun away in his red vest pocket. “It looks natural until they take a closer look.  The poison stops your heart in seconds.”  His words sounded miles away as darkness swallowed me.  

Moonlight bathed the dirt road ahead of us, my body jerking awake.  A scar was fresh on my chest.  Franken was smiling warmly next to me, joy exploding in his eyes.  My ears picked up on a new whirring sound, my head titling oddly.  

“You have a metal lung now.” He admitted, bragging slightly. “So I guess you are a little more robot now.  Not that I care too much about that.”  He waved his hands around nonchalantly, his gaze falling on mine.  His hand traced my cheek, my heart fluttering out of my chest.  His lips pressed against mine passionately, time melting away.  The sounds of the night fading away, leaving just our energies.  Pulling back, our cheeks flushed scarlet.  Horses freaking out  jerked us out of our trance, a pack of wolves growling in front of us.  

February 21, 2022 18:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.