31 comments

Contemporary American Adventure

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

I’m up at close to 3 a.m., again. It’s December 31st, and I’ve got a resolution to keep: I want to fly out of California and meet the woman of my dreams. I haven't accomplished either goal yet, there’s twenty-one hours to go, and this time I’m not holding back. I’m getting on an early morning plane bound for New York City. I’ve got enough cash to buy a one-way ticket, take a cab to Manhattan from JFK airport, eat, drink myself stupid, ride the subway to Times Square, find her, my soulmate, there, and kiss her as the ball drops.

I get out of bed. My septuagenarian mother, Irene, is soundly asleep in her room downstairs. Three previous attempts at a New York escapade have ended with me spilling my guts to Irene and me then calling the online travel agency to ask for airline and hotel refunds. When asked why I won’t be travelling, I give “mental health concern” as the reason. The travel agents are always understanding and apologetic. “We’re sorry to hear that, mister Gaspers,” they say, invariably in accented English, “please consider us for your travel needs whenever your health allows.” 

I was reading Morris James’ poetry last night—brimming with death and promise, the promise of a welcome death, and while I get dressed, I remember a sequence in the dream that woke me at 2:57: an old, Benjamin Buttonish black baby maliciously shat all over my right arm. Disgusted, I tried to clean the shit off with a left hand full of coins.   

I guess I’m nearing another mental crisis. Who surreptitiously leaves home in Orange County, California, before dawn intent on spending New Year’s Eve in the big apple, the city that never sleeps and expecting to find the last love of his life at midnight? I want my therapist to help me interpret my dream, so I call her. 

It’s now 3:15 in the morning. The first flights to New York leave what was formerly called John Wayne Airport in the city of Santa Ana, at about 7:00 a.m. John Wayne isn’t politically correct enough for many left-leaning, woke Californians. As I dial and hear the repeated monotone of the line ringing, I wonder if Black Lives Matter will ever try to have the statue of The Duke that greets travelers at the airport removed, or if they will deface the statue when efforts to eradicate this morsel of white history fails. My musing is interrupted by my therapist answering her phone.

Groggily, she says, “Foley, it’s not daylight yet. Are you alright?”

“I had a dream, Hannah,” I say.

“Foley, if this isn’t an emergency, it can wait until one of our regularly scheduled meetings.”

“It might be an emergency.”

“Okay, what’s going on?”

“I dreamt an old, black baby shat on my arm. I tried to clean it with coins. What does it mean?”

“What do you think it means?” It’s a minimal form of therapeutic support, but sometimes this question is all I need from Hannah to get my interpretive gears churning.

“Everyone knows money can’t clean shit. According to Freudians, money is shit, right? That’s why my brother tore in half the one-hundred bill he received from my mother on Christmas. He says it was not intentional, but it was his subliminal way of saying, ‘I don’t want this crap, why can’t you give me a meaningful gift?’”

Hannah says, “Yes, we discussed that Christmas event, and money is, more often than not, dirty figuratively and literally, but shit can also signify a gift. What associations do you make between the feces and a present?”   

“Maybe the feces on the right arm represents the old black baby giving me carte blanche to act on behalf of righteousness, right handedness signifying action and propriety in contrast to the passivity and impropriety of left-handedness—sinistra being the Italian word for ‘left’ and clearly etymologically related to the English ‘sinister.’” 

“That explains why the coins were in your left hand,” says Hannah. “For someone as concerned as you are with selling yourself short, or selling out by trying to make a middle-class living as a writer and poet, using money to wash away the chance to become a man of action is a sinister betrayal of principles.”

Poets I admire such as Rimbaud, Ginsberg, and Morris were anything but sellouts. They were proficient at making eloquent art from broken hearts, but one of the last things they were concerned with was being commercial successes, or disconnecting their lives from their artistic endeavors. They were as much artists of affect, or pursuers of turbulent emotional experiences, as they were craftsmen of words. Without those passionate lived experiences, their written phrases would have amounted to shit. Escaping to New York this morning falls in line with this particular artistic ethos, to live life as if its next moment is not a given. 

My reflections on the role of affect in art is interrupted by my therapist on the other end of the line, “Now that I’ve helped you with your dream, I want to know what your emergency is, Foley.”

“I’m thinking of doing something rash, of fulfilling my New Year’s resolutions at the last minute,” I say.

“You think you can leave California and meet the woman of your dreams now?” she takes a fraction of a second to look at the time on her phone, “At twenty minutes past three A.M. on the morning before New Year’s?” 

“That’s exactly what I intend to do,” I reply.

“You know better than to act on impulse, Foley,” she says. “Experience says your impulsive actions have given you thrills, but they’ve gotten you into difficult situations: trouble with the police, with your family, with your girlfriend. Can you even buy an airline ticket last minute? Do you have a place to stay? Do you have clothing appropriate for winter in New York? They’re having terrible weather on the East Coast at the moment.” 

Although I’ve made no accommodations for lodging and haven’t purchased a ticket yet, I have clothing that’ll keep me warm enough until I figure out where to stay later on tonight. Hearing Hannah try to coax me into a more reasonable state of mind begins to chisel away at my resolve to go to the airport, so I thank her and tell her, “I have to go now, it was nice knowing you,” then disconnect from the call.

I turn off my phone, grab my backpack and my car key, descend the stairs quietly so as not to awaken my mother from what has hopefully been a night of restful sleep, unlike mine was, and leave the house. It’s raining and when I turn on the radio, a song by Morris James is, auspiciously enough, playing:

I hear life’s traffic seethe like the ocean

I hear life’s traffic seethe like the ocean

I want a change of scene but I cannot get in motion

I want a change of scene but I cannot get in motion

I press the button to the ignition, put the car in drive and begin my trek to the airport with New York City as my final destination. New York City, where I hope to find whatever poetic destiny my soul has been impelling me toward. A destiny that, if Friedrich Nietzsche’s notion of eternal recurrence is right, I’ve lived countless times before, a destiny that will be repeated, with all its weal and woe, ad infinitum.  I desperately need a change of scenery and I'm now in irreversible motion.

January 04, 2023 18:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Graham Kinross
21:27 Jan 12, 2023

Foley is unlucky to have one of those maladies where Simple, ordinary things can trigger a relapse. It reminds me of someone I saw on tv explaining a food addiction who said it was like if someone trying to get off drugs had to have just a little bit every day and to have the discipline not to go for a little more. Foley has to make decisions every day without moving forwards in the huge leaps that make him giddy, a tough balance.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
23:45 Jan 12, 2023

Quite right, Graham. It's tough for Foley to balance between acting in an all-or-nothing fashion on behalf of what he believes is right, and the depression/anxiety that ensues if he chooses complacency. Thanks for reading, and I hope you and the family are well.

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:56 Jan 12, 2023

We’re all good, thanks Mike.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
06:04 Jan 09, 2023

So you don't want your tax money in California to go to reparations? Second interp: Deborah Carr, Archibald Leach, social correctness hinders their destiny. You don't want to be socially correct... Oops. "Folley" has looked to other side of the curtain -- what some people call the veil (from this mortal coil to the next). He sees the vast circles of a Hanoi Tower, the colorful rings of children on a peg, the Nietzsche's link, the connections and fake society of getting along. Maybe Folley can take a wan trip to the end of the country, mee...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
07:21 Jan 09, 2023

Tommy, not only have you read my story, but you have read ME, like a book. Check on reparations, social correctness, Nietzsche. The only way Foley can meet Helen is if he promises not to pull a single punch. The world is OURS, only when it's not a single faction's, Foley doesn't want it to be a single socially unjust (and unjustified) faction's world. I'll sleep more comfortably tonight as a result of your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
05:24 Jan 09, 2023

Endings like this make me glad you primarily write serialized short stories and not 100% standalone pieces, because damn is this a cliffhanger. Good way to finish though, on the moment of change, of literal forward motion. A lot of successful short stories end with the protagonist making a choice, and what could be a bigger choice than leaving your home to go to the other side of the country on an impulse? Yeah, I need to see how this ends. As always, your writing has a very smart, philosophical quality to it. There's a lot of deep thought...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
07:11 Jan 09, 2023

Zack, I hope to resolve this cliffhanger by week's end - if I don't take off to NYC myself before then! Your comments always brighten up my mornings, afternoons, or evenings (depending, of course, on when I read them). I imagine some truly passionate therapists do answer their phones at odd hours. I've never personally tested the possibility, however (and hope I never have to). It's flattering that you regard me as a thinker's writer (since that's how I'd like to be considered). Don't lose sleep over the artistic vs. commercial success ...

Reply

Zack Powell
14:58 Jan 09, 2023

Will definitely be keeping my eyes open for the resolution to this cliffhanger. Lot of different paths you could take with this, and I'm excited to see which one you choose. And it's quite fun for me to use these comments to dissect what makes a story tick, so thanks for posting such good ones to analyze. You're definitely a thinker's writer, by the way - no two ways about it. A disclaimer regarding Gaitskill: I've only read her short story collections, none of her novels, but all of those were written in very similar styles, so I assume an...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
15:59 Jan 09, 2023

I'll pick up (or order) a copy of "Bad Behavior" soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
22:55 Jan 08, 2023

I know that impulse control is sometimes a Mental Health issue, but there are times, like in your story where I wish people would be more spontaneous and open themselves up to the moment. Your story has an endearing human touch.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
02:17 Jan 09, 2023

I agree that acting on impulse isn't always a mental health issue. The main character in this story makes appearances in several previous written ones where I have tried to outline a person with problems possibly related to mental illness and recovery. Thanks for reading. I'm on my way to return the favor.

Reply

Tommy Goround
06:06 Jan 09, 2023

Missing ear, hope , The Scream

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
12:48 Jan 07, 2023

I really liked this story Mike. As always, was full of interesting content, well written and thought provoking. It’s fascinating how we are compelled and pulled in by our dreams. Also, the danger (sometimes of acting on impulse). Maybe dreams are nothing more than the mind’s way of trying to resolve inner conflicts. I particularly liked the ending. If you have time, I’d value your opinion on my most recent story. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Miles
20:30 Jan 06, 2023

So many literal and philosophical allusions; I feel like back at Uni dipping my big toe in the sea of mighty thinkers. I want immediately to dust off my Nietzsche ( if I could find it) and my Ginsberg who I did enjoy way back in my third year. This is the perfect backdrop for Foley's reckless, take life by the horns, mindset here. My favourite line is the therapist's: "shit can also signify a gift." Now that is one to adopt as we enter 2023! I think Foley should be rolling the dice in Part 2 this week, as long as it's not to decide if he sho...

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
03:53 Jan 06, 2023

Is it just awful that when he revealed the timeline of his plan I was just thinking about how much traffic there was going to be in NY? LOL. I think there's a bit of all of us who want to be like Foley; we are hungry for change, and we want to thrust ourselves into it. Create motion, whether it be forward or not. I get the sense, from the discussion with his therapist, that Foley really thrives on his impulsive behavior. It's the only way he operates; that's why he couldn't achieve last year's NYR gradually with a well-thought out plan t...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
05:34 Jan 06, 2023

I'm looking forward to next week's prompts to see if they're appropriate for a part 2. Thank you for reading, Anne Marie.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:49 Jan 06, 2023

The prompts this week almost feel perfect for Foley 👀😁

Reply

Mike Panasitti
16:28 Jan 06, 2023

Yes, they really do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:02 Jan 05, 2023

This is Ginsberg, pure Ginsberg. Throw in a little Kerouac, a smattering of Burroughs, a touch of Kesey, a dash of Bukowski, and you have a Panasitti original. This is all about the journey; the destination is inconsequential. The interpretation of the dream is also telling, and it smacks of Freud's "The Interpretation of Dreams." There is also the little matter of the Pleasure Principle. I think you really delved into the essence of what pleasure means to the MC. Pretty riveting stuff. Foley is all of us, to some extent. He differs from mo...

Reply

Mike Panasitti
15:38 Jan 05, 2023

Rather big shoes to fill, but I appreciate the comparison to Beat writers, and, yeah, I had a pretty good serving of Freud in college and grad school. I'm glad I could squeeze a little more life out of the Foley character and that you consider my writing of worth. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
02:34 Jan 05, 2023

Nice! I wasn't sure -- no, actually I was *more* sure that he was going to talk himself out of it again. Chronic inertia often doesn't seem to lead to anything like real change, just eventual entropy, which we all tend toward, anyway. This dude totally beat the system, which is a pretty inspiring message for the new year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
L M
07:38 Jan 12, 2023

Do you have something against BLM or is that just the character? His impulse to go and find a soulfmatr on new year doesn’t sound so different from other people trying to get a kiss then. Its impulsive but im jealous of that. I think i plan too much sometimes.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
15:47 Jan 12, 2023

I have an issue with BLM when they're agenda becomes one in which ONLY black lives matter. I believe all life matters, not just human lives, but all biological life forms and that of the living earth, most importantly. Impulsivity can get you in trouble, but it can also be liberating. I only advocate acting on impulse if it's not against the law, or, of course, if it entails acting on behalf of a life or death matter. Thanks for reading, L M.

Reply

L M
12:56 Jan 16, 2023

I think the point of the BLM movement is to highlight that equality, not to raise them above others, to point out that theyre not less importabt than others. Theyre killed more often by police and recieve worse sentences for the same crimes. Thats my interpretation of it, demanding equality, not superiority.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
18:39 Jan 16, 2023

Doubtlessly not less important than others, but not as disempowered as they’re (and we’re) made to think by dominant narratives.

Reply

L M
10:42 Jan 19, 2023

?

Reply

L M
10:29 Jan 27, 2023

Been busy, Mike? I was looking forward to a new story. Hopefully next time i log in. Hope youte doing well.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:04 Jan 05, 2023

A vivid Foley scene. The paragraph on Rimbaud, Ginsberg, and Morris takes the wild impulse and then transforms it to something that make sense as an act of personal expression. I've had that impulse a few times, for unknown reasons, I should to go this place at this time and something magical will happen (nothing ever happened so i stopped going), so can relate to the emotion. I am now googling "eternal recurrence"...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
03:27 Jan 05, 2023

Oh, Foley. This plan is almost certainly not going to pan out. Like he even recognizes, and goes so far as to call his therapist, he gets into trouble when he does impulsive things. And the idea of finding a random woman as the love of his life, in a single day like some tired Hollywood cliché is highly unlikely, even on New Year's. He's like a modern day airplane bound Cinderella. On the other hand, this plan *must* fail, and I think he knows that - because his real plan is to shake things up and to live like his poet idols. To live, at al...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.