What the hell!

Submitted into Contest #33 in response to: Write a story about miscommunication.... view prompt

0 comments

General


- this is the last cup of coffee of the day! - so I promised myself, as I was working as a freelancer, all i wanted to do was to get the job done and to get paid.

- but there is a party tonight - remind me Susan my beloved friend, wearing a covid-19 chinstrap.

- I 'll try to do it as fast as I can.

- Is at seven but you can arrive a bit late. I will tell John, your boyfriend, about it.

- ok. I will pass by after I finish.

So, I spent the whole afternoon in front of the computer, checking the format of the project I was about to finish.

- it must be perfect  otherwise, no cash.

It was half past seven and everything was perfect, so she should just send it.

- sent ! I will fill the form to get the money.

I think it took me some few minutes to do it.

-- Job accomplished , now, let me have some fun.

I took.my phone, some cash because I thought it would be a good idea to get a cake for the party.

So I went to the bakery, a block from my house - as a fact I was starving.

' a chocolate chip cookie cake, please, I asked.

And the Baker gave me a huge cake.

- now, I am ready to go - so  I went to the of my boyfriend, Jim, a Jewish chubby blue-eyed guy thoroughly in live with me - as I was about him.

- four blocks from here  so, I comb my hair with my fingers, wear some lipstick, and I am almost there.

The doorbell of the little-old- Victorian style - house,rang twice .

But no one answered the bell.

- should I call him? Definitely! - and so she did it.

- is the party ready? Do you need some help? - she asked as soon as he answered the phone.

- party? What the hell are you talking about?

- the party.

- what party?,I don't know anything about a party. Are you giving a party?

- I am not giving a party. Susana said that you were giving a party, and she was supposed to talk with you as she work with you, that I was going to be late...

- I know nothing about, sweetheart, and I will have to work during the nightshift.

- are you at home?

- yeah. I will go downstairs, and we talk about it.

- ok. But hurry up! - as I easvstsrting to find the cake too heavy but too fragrant not to  st least, take s look at it.

I waited outside, as I knew he was going to take me back home.

I put the cake box over the wall while I was trying to relax my hands for a bit.

Five minutes passed.

Ten.

Nothing.

Half an hour.

And I was mad.

So I called him again, out of control.

He did not answer.

- let me try again.

So i called him again.

- Damn! His cell phone is turned off.

- fine!

Do I rang the bell as the door was locked.

But he never showed up.

What the hellbid going on? - I asked, taking a look at my watch.

- almost nine o'clock and I guess he is not at home, but  he has to work at home now, because if the covid-19 !

- ok. So this is going to be my last attempt - and called him again.

- turned off! What if I call Susan? - and called her.

- the party is tomorrow, she said to me, devastating all my hopes and dreams.

- but...if there is no party, where is Jim that never answers my calls? ' that was my biggest doubt that I needed to clarify before the end of the night.

I rang the bell again.

- he is not at home! - I just realized as there were no visible lights in the windows nor through the curtains.

- what can I do? I pitied myself, always looking at the cake , as I haven't eaten anything since the afternoon.

I sat down again on that stone step, con incing myself that I should not trust even my shadow less a boyfriend.

- I should break with him. Yeap!

He is so fat! And unkind! - and I started to unwrap the plastic package of the cake.

- it does smell good. But I need a knife to make the big opening of it. Maybe I have some scissors.. or maybe I have some tweezers in my bag - and I started to throw away empty bottles of perfume, a blister with no medicines in there, some pieces of bitten crackers - can I still eat it?

- no, you can't- I heard a familiar voice coming from the upper side of the wall that I was leaning on.

Scared, I lifted my head up, and I saw my boyfriend, Jim, also leaning on the same wall, almost beside me.

- where are you coming from? - I shouted , in complete madness.

- easy, baby, because I forgot my pendrive at home, so I came back to take it back to work. I am on permission, and I only have half an hour left.

- wait ! Weren't you working at home ?

- yes, I really was, but a bug got into the files that I have already sent. I was trying to fix it, the whole afternoon, with some success, but I need this little device as it has information about the project that I lost during the recovery

- great! And i have been waiting for you since seven thirty. You do not take my calls .

- did you call me? - looking for the missing calls in his phone.

But I have talked to you

Sorry, dear, but I was too busy , and as a matter of fact, I did not payed attention - and he kissed me.

I was not furious anymore because I realized that he was still there for me, the same gentle guy I once fell in love with.

- sit here - showing the step with a little but convincing tap on the concrete

- do you want some cake? - I asked in the same moment that I was ceasing to unwrap the cake's package.

- why not? Let's go inside!

We are the whole cake, in his house, with some wine, and some love.

And he didn't go back to work that night










-


-

March 14, 2020 00:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.