0 comments

Romance

Everyone believes that “Love”, can not only change people but it can change the World. But, for it is an absolute rubbish. I am Victoria, I work as Technical consultant in a small company in Mexico. I live with my mom, Sofia. She is the only thing that I can say as family. Mom as a single mother, raised me and I am what I am today, because of my Mom. And I don’t know who my father is and if he is alive or not. My Mom said that he left us when I am 6 months. They were high school sweet hearts and married as soon they graduated high school. After my Dad left us, my raised me alone by running an Ice cream parlor in the shopping street. Mom had me when she was just 19 years, so even now she looks very beautiful and the Males around would often come to our shop just to flirt with Mom or have a chance at her. Seeing all of it growing up, I never believed in love and even if love exists a Man is never capable of loving because the only thing it matters for him the most is Sex.

I have always thought that I wouldn’t fall in Love, my world consists of no one expect my Mom and that totally changed until I met Samuel. He is the reason that I have started believing in Love which I thought only as a fairy tale. The reason I decided to love Samuel and even marrying him is because he so much different from any other man I know. I first met him at our company as he started his business startup and wanted to partner with our company. He was very professional and never even saw any woman as a sex object. But my first impression of him was something because Samuel is very handsome and I thought as a man being good looking is an advantage and so he will take advantage of it against women.

After a month I came to know him personally and my impression of men have changed. I thought that all men are not the same and felt that I was wrong all my life. Even my mother would say that all men are not the same, I never believed in it. I thought mom was gullible and that’s the reason my dad had betrayed her. Days went by, I and Samuel have become friends and I have started liking him unconsciously. Whenever I saw any girl speaking closely or flirting with him it used to make my heart feel heavy. I didn’t know what it was, but soon I understood it was called jealousy and that it’s called Love. I didn’t believe that “me”, Victoria could ever fall in love with a man. But some where I felt that even Samuel might turn out to be like any other guy. It was all new to me and suddenly one day Samuel ask me if I could spend time with him on New Year. I instantly agreed to it. That day we have gone to many places and Samuel while dropping me off in my home he proposed to marry him and told that I can take time to give a reply and left.

For the next few days my mind is filled with all his thoughts. I was having a very rough time deciding. But somewhere in me thought to accept his proposal. The reason being Samuel is not like other men whom I hated all my life and moreover he proposed my directly for marriage which tells me he is very serious about me. I called him up next week and I have accepted his proposal. We have spent good amount of time together after it and my love towards him has only increased. Finally, One day I decided that I should let him meet my mom. And so I invited him to my house for dinner. Even my Mom have liked him and has agreed to our marriage and hence we decided to marry on February 14th. Everything has been set and it was only two days for the marriage. I decided to gift Samuel for our marriage and hence bought him a Watch. I only want to gift him on the day of marriage.

The day of the marriage has come and I was in my room dressing up for the marriage thinking back all about my encounters with Samuel and the times we spent. I thought that if I hadn’t met Samuel how my life would be and that I would have been single for all my life. Twenty minutes before marriage it struck to me that I still did not give the gift I bought for Samuel. So I hurried to Samuel who should be in his dressing room with the gift in my hand. For my surprise I didn’t find him. I then saw my aunt Emma nearby talking to guests. I quickly dragged her to side and asked her if she saw Samuel anywhere as he is not in the dressing room. She told he saw him going over to the back yard and even she has come with me to help me find him. We both went to the backyard but couldn’t find him. When we were about go back we heard some noise of from a nearby room which looks like store room. We went near the room to have a look to find about it. Aunt Emma tried opening the door but it is locked from inside. I saw a window to the other side. When Aunt was about knock I showed her the window. So without knocking we went to the window. Upon looking inside what I saw have shaken up my entire world for an instance. It felt like ground has been taken off from under my feet. I was my Mom and Samuel kissing each other passionately.

I wasn’t ready to believe what I have saw and I felt betrayed not only by Samuel but even my own mother. They both saw me having caught them and they have come out of the room trying to give some stupid excuse. I had no patience or strength to listen and so I cancelled the marriage. I sat in my dressing room crying and I thought of even committing suicide as there was no one that I can believe anymore. And hence I wrote a suicide note and gave it to my Aunt, told her not to open it and to give it to my Mom. When I was about to sit inside my car Aunt Emma came running to me to stop me from going as she have read the note that I gave it to her. She was trying to convince me not to do it. And I have told her everything about my childhood and that I don’t have no one, so that’s the reason I want to end my life.

Aunt Emma told that what I knew about my mother since my childhood was all wrong. I didn’t understand was she talking about. Upon asking she told the truth that, my Father didn’t betray my Mom and left us. It was my Mom who was cheating with my father’s colleague and my Father came to know about it. So due it he felt embarrassed and he have committed Suicide. Everyone in the town know about it but would never talk about it. Then I understood that why all the men would behave in such a way with my Mom and all the rumors that I heard about my Mom were actually true. Till now I just thought it was common as she was without husband, people had just made up against my Mom. And my Aunt said that she didn’t never told me about this because she doesn’t want to ruin my relation with my Mom.

After that, even Mom came running to me, knowing that I was about to commit suicide. She begged me not to do and she apologized. She told that she would confess all but asked me not to go. Then she told she knew Samuel even before I have known him and it their plan to make me fall in love with Samuel and even Mom helped him in that matter. She thought if I would marry Samuel even she could continue her affair with him and hence no one would doubt her. Hearing all this I even more lost respect on my Mom and thought I was a fool to think of ending my life for a person like her.

Now it has been 2 years since that incident and I am not talking with my Mom. I have moved to USA and started to work here. Now when I think back, all my life feels like a big lie.

The End                                                             

July 25, 2020 17:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.