2 comments

Fiction Fantasy Inspirational

This story contains sensitive content

*This story contains mild expressions of sensual intimacy.*


Highway 180 was congested during a drive to Mount Binah. This offered unpleasant movement through uninhabited space locals named Potential.


There were an assortment of vehicles headed in the same direction-all paused for an unknown reason. Some drivers honked their frustration as others created hell within their minds and ruminations. Rana Poston had been guilty of both expressions during other times like this, but when urge arose this time she set her gear in park before checking her cell phone for missed calls. 


Businesses had to open to receive patrons and participants who rushed towards them. It was New Year's Eve- a day the metropolis heart of Mount Binah celebrated with sales, symbols, and sentiments. Bakery Beauty needed the gain.


For at least twenty-four hours many people considered their movements within what they defined as being life. Goals would be set as promises made. Tomorrow they would begin to fade, yet today they prompted actions and feelings about those actions. The bakery owner was denying herself rest. Experiencing her denial felt justified by business goals.


Rana scouted her mind for other observances that could distract her from feeling anxious. She could focus on the fact it didn't usually take this long to reach the other side of Potential. Or, she could observe her surroundings. The choice was hers to make.


The edge of the sky, illuminated with two suns, hugged snow covered forest that spiraled alongside the highway. All could be seen as representing, to Rana, a single expression of creation was magnificent. She'd encountered accounts of scientists' proclaim of all existence sharing energetic biology. Specifications of energy, (especially within the processor) the claims insisted, designated variations in visible form. 


As above, so below. As within, so without.


Even though, theoretically, Rana knew outside reflected inside, it was hard to agree to the existence of equal beauty within the sparkling city of Mount Binah. She, herself, no longer felt beautiful. In her opinion, she was adequate.


The passenger seat of the yellow Hod vibrated pulling Rana's attention back inside. She was late getting to the bakery, so by now the faithful customers had completed their round without reward. The sign above the building gave the business phone number, yet no one was present to answer.


It wasn't Kiron calling. She assumed he would be sleeping by now after spending a long night at the hospital with his mother.


"Hello."


Static. 

The screen displayed 'CONFIDENTIAL'.


"Hello."


'CALL DROPPED' followed.


Rana realized the distance growing between her and the vehicle in front of her. She advanced to the bakery entertained with concern about the call.


The final month of the year had arrived swiftly on the heels of summer forcing Rana to acknowledge things about herself she preferred to shed before the new year. It was time for her to know herself without boundaries as physical circumstances challenged her wisdom. 


The white brick building that housed the spirit of Bakery Beauty was falling apart. It started on the outside when the peppermint striped awning lost a battle with strong wind. Metal snapped apart from the building allowing the fabric to sail across Main Street where it was used as interruption for a black Malcuth. 


The driver of the Malcuth-a two door vehicle driven for the spaceship look-escaped without severe physical damage. His vehicle, on the other hand, cost the business $6,000 for cosmetic repairs. 


Rana had felt like throwing in the towel after a brick thrown into the glass entrance requested right at $2,000. The leak started during a phase of numbness. Black mold grew inside the building requiring extra effort to continue safely. 


Kiron, the accountant of Bakery Beauty and Rana's husband, had declared financial loss for the year. Their rainy day savings were dry. Personal accounts held nothing extra. This was why she accepted a job outside the business.


Working with three children belonging to strangers ignited patience and dedication within her. Seventeen, twelve, and five. Two males. One female. The youngest reminded Rana of the child she and Kiron decided they couldn't afford. 


They were both in their twelfth year of public school and had been trying, together, to fill inner voids. Kiron's mother assumed responsibility to fix the problem the two created by taking Rana to the clinic unbeknownst to her own family.


The child interacted with Rana through her dreams. This was something life insisted she keep to herself. Not even Kiron proved able to accept an experience of this nature as being valid like any other. Sanity over outside validation, Rana decided about the private world she shared with her daughter.


Meeting Tabitha, for the first time, was like witnessing a dream morphed into reality. Hours later the dream turned into a nightmare. Five year old tantrums made Rana appreciate the luxury of leaving them behind. Some mornings this was the highlight of the entire day. 


Rana saw beyond Tabitha's expression of desire and disgust. The young girl demanded particular experiences she received at times, while other times she didn't. Her parents worked night shifts as staff of the local hospital. Undivided time for Tabitha was scarce, and Rana attributed this to the girl's equal bitterness and sweetness. 


Rana met the doctor as a customer of Bakery Beauty. She had ordered a 6 in. cake sculpted as a house according to a snapshot brought in. Friendly conversation led to the woman asking Rana to sit with her and indulge. Both ladies lost themselves, for a moment, while drinking coffee and eating cake that Rana baked, Kiron decorated, the woman purchased and shared. Drunk off of good vibes, the bakery owner and doctor exchanged business cards. Their next encounter presented concern and need for assistance.


The visit took place the day the awning flew off the building. Doctor Simone Graa happened to be enroute to the bakery when the incident occurred. Once it was declared a minor mishap, she informed the driver of the Malcuth about a highly recommended business that restored vehicles beyond belief. She, then, followed Rana inside and ordered a bouquet of rose shaped cakes and a dozen that were sculpted as bite size diamonds.


"Roses and diamonds can brighten any girl's day," she began.


The conversation somehow led to the doctor dumping unwarranted information about her job. Critical changes in the infrastructure that operated the hospital now required her to accept night shifts. She needed someone she could trust to oversee her children until she returned from work. $1000 per week was offered, if Rana could start immediately.


Simone worked three nights a week. After thirty-six hours of work she was shifted to on-call duty. Only twice, before the day before New Year's eve, had she called upon Rana unexpectedly. It was Thursday-a day that started with a disgruntled customer of Bakery Beauty. Rana's cell phone ringing interrupted a rant describing the customer's embarrassment from the broken penis cake she presented at her sister's wedding party. Perfect timing for the conversation with the customer, Rana thought, but Simone's expectation reached her with poor timing since Kiron had promised a surprise.


Just before Rana left the home of the Graas on New Year's eve morning, she received a sms from the love of her life. His animated invitation made her smile though she was exhausted from Tabitha's refusal to retire. Seeing the head of her wedding picture standing on purple digital legs within the center of the screen grabbed her attention and didn't let go until the end.


The screen changed into a scene where the head of her picture shared the center screen with the head of Kiron's. They held each other's digital hand beneath a night sky twinkling with specks of light. NEW YEARS EVE-NING scrolled across the screen along with flashing confetti. AT SUNDOWN followed.


Be there, or be square.


The animation ended with the two heads, now morphed into squares without arms or legs, positioned near the bottom of the screen below the logo of the bakery. The message was crystal clear and she almost laughed aloud.


From it she felt a spark of energy that hurried her away from Lunah towards Mount Binah. Her plans had been to report to the bakery, and after closing she would rush home to prepare for the engagement with Kiron.


The oven refused to work at Bakery Beauty on New Year's eve. Rana considered the inconvenience of not being able to capitalize on the effect the end of the year had on economy in Mount Binah. This was probably the only business on Main Street with a closed door.


Customers expressed their disgust with Bakery Beauty's situation by ferociously knocking and calling the business phone. The callers Rana answered left her feeling empty. Nothing more could be done for the day.


Acceptance. Rana acknowledged acceptance of all the things that seemed to have gone wrong. She released her preferences for everything and everyone out of her control.


Calmness flowed through her. Her energy lifted, again.


Once all the lights were turned off in the bakery, except for the sign attached to a window wishing 'Happy New Year', Rana exited Bakery Beauty for the last time of the year.


"Piter, I apologize for the inconvenience," she said to a round man standing near the building. "I know you expected to pick up your chocolate bicycle cake today."


The man referred to as Piter approached, pointing at the screen of his cellphone.


"You sent a text message yesterday claiming it would be ready for pickup today."


Rana nodded. She felt Piter's discontentment as though it was her own. She turned her back to him to lock the door.


Her apron buzzed. 


"Happy New Year's eve, Piter. Hope to see you soon, after our improvements."


Half hearing what else the customer said, Rana took her phone from the apron pocket pressing a flashing green light to accept the call.


CONFIDENTIAL, she noted looking at the screen before lifting the phone closer to her ear.


"Hello."


She heard no response. Tunes of numbers being pressed caused her to lower the phone.


"Hello."


She spoke harder as though demanding the caller to speak.


"I miss you."


The softly spoken words paused Rana's advance. 


"Rana, when are you coming back?"


"Tabitha, hi. Does your parents know you are calling me?"


"No Rana."


The child blew air into the phone.


"Mommy and Daddy are sleeping. I didn't want to wake them."


"Why aren't you sleeping as well?"


"I'm not tired. And besides, it's not my bedtime."


"I see. Hold on a minute, okay?"


"Okay, but don't hang up."


"I won't hang up. Give me a few moments to get situated."


Rana proceeded to her vehicle parked parallel on Main Street. Once she merged into traffic, she returned to the call.


"I'm here, Tabitha."


"I thought you were going to hang up. My daddy doesn't care if I use his phone. So long as I'm off by the time he wakes up."


"Tabitha, you know we have to hang up at some point, right?"


"Uh-huh. But we can talk for a while. Maybe until my bedtime."


"What's on your mind?"


"I was thinking about tomorrow. It will be New Years. Will I see you at New Years?"


"Of course you will. I am scheduled to visit you and the boys in two days. It will be a new year that we will fill with new memories."


"But, I like the old memories."


"That's beautiful, Sweetheart. You are more than welcome to bring the old into the new, if you like."


"Will we do something fun and new when you come back?"


"What would be fun to you?"


"Can we paint?"


"Sure we can."


"Will you bring paint?"


"I can bring paint."


"Make sure it's the good kind. I want to paint a beautiful portrait for Mommy. You think she would mind if I leave it in the main room?"


"I will bring the best paint available for our next visit. I'm looking forward to painting. And if you don't mind, I'd like to take a picture of your portrait on display in the main room."


"I don't mind."


"Great. I have to leave our call, My darling. I am on my way home to prepare for a surprise."


"I like surprises, too. Will you bring a surprise, too?"


"Will you promise yourself you will rest and relax more in this upcoming year?"


"It's tomorrow."


"Yes, the new year begins tomorrow. When will you begin your promise?"


"Tomorrow."


"Alright. Then, tomorrow I will bring you a surprise."


"Really?"


"Yes, really. Have a good rest of the evening."


"I will, Rana. And tomorrow I will be surprised. You will come here to surprise me."


"I am excited for you, Tabitha. Until then."


Rana ended the call. She continued towards home.


Hours of personal grooming and enhancement took place before Rana admired herself wearing a silver dress that exposed her subtle curves. She felt vibrant and frisky. 


Silver based confetti earrings dangled from her ears. She shook her head from side to side causing them to shimmy below the flawless bun atop her head. Turning left, then right in a body length mirror, she deemed herself beautiful. Kiron would remember her youth.


Isolated attention directed at herself caused joyful disconnection with time. Faintly, Rana had heard Kiron say he would return after an errand.


A beautiful smile returning to her from her reflection set her heart ablaze with appreciation.


"Rana," she heard just as music filled the atmosphere. 


She couldn't resist singing. 


Sensual beautiful energy guided Rana towards the main room of their home.


"We-found-love-right-where-we-are."


Kiron couldn't take his eyes off Rana when she entered the space where he stood holding a bouquet of daffodils. 


"Wow, Baby."


He smiled with a look in his eyes that made Rana feel vulnerable. She could tell he desired her. Seconds later, she was in his arms being gently squeezed as they kissed. She felt hunger for excitement. The pair desired each other.


Rana pulled away not wanting to spoil her look before the surprise. Her smile flashed feminine curiosity at Kiron. 


"I chose not to be square," she teased.


"And I am glad you did," he replied with laughter.


 "I'm glad as well. And excited. I see you brought flowers."


Rana received what Kiron presented.


"Thank you. They are delightful. And look at you."


Kiron's compact muscular body looked delicious in the gray tuxedo accented with a blue silk shirt and blue and silver bow tie. Rana's glossy lips widened with interest. She stepped towards him, placing her hands on neatly shaved cheeks. 


"You look amazing."


Softly, she pecked his lips.


"Thank you, Sweetheart. So do you. Let's usher in the new year, properly."


He guided her out of the home to his vehicle awaiting them.


Out of the cavernous mouth of Mount Binah, Kiron's golden Malcuth carried the couple into the dark expanse of stars twinkling across Potential. It slowed at a space lit with candles surrounding a purple rug. Nearby was a table holding a cake sculpted as an indigo man and a violet woman embracing within a whipped cream heart. 


Kiron surprised Rana with a bottle of her favorite wine. He filled a pair of slender glasses etched with a silver letter 'P' before saying, "Here's to new beginnings and fresh starts."


Rana nodded agreement.


Softly, their glasses kissed one another before the lovers sipped bitter sweetness. Then, with their glasses lifted to the sky, the two below celebrated above. 


The liquid reflected moving light.


"Happy New Year, Honey," Rana exclaimed.


"Happy New Year, My love."


They stood and held hands in Potential.


Later, on the first day of the year, Highway 180 carried Rana towards Lunah with ease. She wondered if Tabitha would enjoy the gift from her and Kiron. She remembered the joy of having coloring books, and the excitement that came with a fresh pack of crayons. How she loved applying color to new pages. 


Life was, now, her coloring book.


Tabitha was outside riding a small bike when the Hod entered her driveway. She left the bike to run towards the visitor with an exuberant greeting.


"Happy New Years, Rana!"







January 01, 2022 01:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Alex Sultan
21:55 Jan 07, 2022

'Life was, now, her coloring book.' was a very nice line. My favourite part of the story. I also liked the back and forward dialogue on the phone. Nice work :)

Reply

Dee Wes
13:07 Jan 08, 2022

Thanks for reading 180 and for giving feedback. I appreciate that.:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.