19 comments

Fantasy

The sticky juice from my grape popsicle dripped down my fingers and onto the blazing sidewalk. It wasn’t as refreshing as I’d thought it’d be. The Arizona sun beat down on my tank topped back. I could feel the sunburn coming in. I sighed deeply. “Ugh, it’s too hot!” I yelled into the empty street. The occasional car would drive by, but other then that, everyone was inside they’re nice air-conditioned homes. “Stupid orphanage, not having enough money for stupid cold air...” I grumbled. I stood up, throwing the remainder of my melted popsicle into the bushes. I turned to walk away and ran straight into something. “OW! What the hell?” I rubbed my nose and looked at what I ran into. It was a young boy around my age. He was clearly a weirdo, walking around in a black cloak in this 100° weather. He had appeared out of nowhere. “What’s your problem dude?! Can’t you see I’m walking here?! Jesus…” 

“Oh, sorry! Oh hey, it’s-” The boy, cut himself off and shook his head.

“Ugh, whatever.” I stepped around him and started walking off again, a sense of uneasiness forming in my stomach. It felt like I knew him...

While walking, I keep looking behind me. There was something or someone following me…

I picked up my pace and rounded the corner and I was on my block. A sense of relief waved over me. But then I heard some whispering behind me. I turned to see what it was and everything went black. 

*****

“Ugh...my head.” I groaned. I opened my eyes to a dimly lit room. I could barely see. “What the hell is happening?” I tried to move my hands, but they were tied to the chair I sat on. Whish~ “Jolan, do you think she remembers me?” “How am I supposed to know? Go ask her!”

“HEY!” I yelled into the darkroom, there were people there. “Whoever’s there, you BETTER tell me what’s going on! WHO IS THERE?!” Emerging from the darkest, was a cloaked figure with pale skin. They looked right at me, their pricing silver eyes- wait, sliver eyes?! I have sliver eyes… I thought I was the only one…

“Shalla.” The figure spoke in a light and soft voice, like a mother speaking to her young child. They took off their cloak hood. It was a middle-aged lady with dark skin and hair, which was slightly greying. Her sliver eyes stood out, just like mine. I was beginning to get nervous. Who’s Shalla??

“Um, who?” I questioned. 

“Oh Shalla!” The lady ran up to me and wrapped me in her arms. I was confused but then a vision of some sort flashed in my mind. 

I was in a felid of wildflowers, crying. I was around the age of 6. Someone came up behind me. I turned around a yelled. “Mommy! I’m so sorry!” I ran and hugged her legs. I looked up at her face. It was the same lady who was hugging me now. The one with the same silver eyes. 

“Mom?” I whispered, tears falling from my eyes. She looked at me and grabbed my face. 

“Yes, YES! Do you remember me? Oh, Shalla! It’s been years!” She hugged me once more. I snuggled my face into her shoulder and cried. It was my mom, my mom. The one who left me 10 years ago outside an orphanage on Hemmington Avenue. I moved away from her shoulder and sniffled. She released me from her grip. 

“Why’d you leave me?” I whispered.

“Sweetheart, speak up, I can’t hear you.”

“I said, WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME?! WHY AM I HERE?! WHY ARE YOU HERE?!” My skin began to boil and I felt like all my blood was rushing to my head. Before I knew it, ice water was being dumped on me. I jumped up with a yelp. Wait, I was free.

“W-what just h-happened??” I looked towards my mother and the anonymous figure who was cloaked as well. 

“Sweetie, you can’t let your emotions get the best of you. When you’re angry your skin can act like fire?? Any emotion can severely hurt you... Let’s see, how do I put this, um- you’re an elf and you have uncovered your powers that have been hidden until today, your birthday?” My eyes widen in shock.

“An elf? Excuse me but, THEY DON’T EXIST?! Powers?? It’s my birthday?? I thought it wasn’t until AUGUST 11th!” I was completely rattled. 

“Aye! We exist alright!” The other cloaked figure revealed themselves. It was the boy from before. 

“HEY! IT’S YOU! YOU WERE THE ONE WHO KNOCKED ME OUT?!” My skin began to boil again as it did before. The man snapped his fingers and water magically appeared above me, AGAIN.

“Will you STOP doing that?!” I snapped, shaking water off me.

“Will you CONTROL your emotions?” He snapped back.

“Ok, ok you kids, knock it off!”

“Well, then Hadrina, can you control your child??”

“Jalon, calm down. She’s just gonna have to learn some more and you’re gonna be helping her.”

“WHAT?!” Jalon and I say in unison.

“You heard me.” She came and pushed me down onto the chair.

“Okay, it’s time you heard the whole story and the truth. Everything.” My mother spoke in that soft voice again. I gulped and took a deep breath. Jalon leaned against the wall.” Here we go…” Hadrina shot him a glare and gave me a reassuring smile. 

“You ready?”

“Yeah.”

****

“So, stop me if I’m wrong, I’m an elven princess with magical powers that I haven’t discovered until this day because in elven years I’m 18 and these powers made people greedy and they wanted to take me away, so that’s why you hid me in the human world and erased all my memories from my youth,” I took a deep breath,” So I’m the next heir to the kingdom of this magical world because you are the queen and I need to train my powers and self to fit this role??” I gasped.

“Yes! Oh, my dear daughter, I’m so excited!” My mother smiled and came to hug me again. I wasn’t used to this much affection, but I still awkwardly hugged her back. This was a lot to take in.

“So um, Mom? How is this gonna all work?”

“It’s obvious darling, you’ll come back home with us. We can train better, much better there, and everyone will be so excited to see you again!”

“Mhm, I don’t know.” I let go of her and backed up, scratching my arm. It was a nasty habit I did when I was anxious.

“Well, yes darling. It’s the only reasonable answer. Everyone knows your name Shalla. There’s nothing for you here. You’ll be a princess again, you’ll be happy.”

I took a deep breath and tears started to fall and I began to shake. I was shaking uncontrollably. I couldn’t breathe and it felt like I was drowning. A warm embrace made me snap out of it. My breathing slowed down and I wasn’t shaking anymore. 

I sighed. “Thank you, mom.”

“Ahem, guess again.” I looked to see a flustered Jolan with his arms around me. 

“Ah! What are you doing!” I jumped away from him, cheeks red.

“I was helping you! You were gonna die!” He snapped at me, still flustered. My mother was chuckling and I glared at her. She cleared her throat. 

“See Shalla, your powers are too strong already. If you don’t get the proper training, it could end with you seriously injured or killed. You must come back with us. Please.” Her eyes felt like they were looking right into my soul. Even Jolan seemed to be asking me to go. 

I took a deep breath. It’s for the best, you have nothing here. No friends, family, or future. Everything you’ll ever need is right in front of you. Here you go…

“Let’s do this.” My mother smiled widely and I thought I caught a small smile from Jolan, but he quickly hid his face. She grabbed my hand and Jolan’s.

“OK, here we go, everyone ready? Jolan?” He nodded and closed his eyes, whispering words unknown. A bright portal opened up in front of us. I tighten the grip on my mom’s hand. 

“This is really happening…” I whispered to myself. 

We all jumped through.

August 05, 2020 23:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Amany Sayed
00:50 Aug 06, 2020

Wow! What a very creative story! Ooh, my heart squeezed when Jolan was hugging her, I feel potential romance coming!! (If you ever continue this, which, please do) I honestly don't think there's any mistakes, except when they're all talking, I was a little confused as to who Jolan was, and who was talking. Also, they didn't seem too old, so I found it kind of weird when Jolan was called a man. Other than that, it was very interesting how you came up with such a world! Great job! -Amany- PS. I would be grateful if you could check out my ...

Reply

Basil Boi
05:30 Aug 07, 2020

Ahh, thank you! I realize now that my dialogue was a bit confusing, thanks for noticing! I'll be sure to read your story! :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
13:33 Sep 09, 2020

I AM STILL WAITING FOR PART TWO I for real went through my following to find you. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase make part 2!

Reply

Basil Boi
15:02 Sep 14, 2020

Oh my, thank you! I'll have to find a good prompt to do for it, but I'll definitely make a part 2 at some point. School has started for me and it's stressful all over again. I won't have as much time to write anymore. I love how you want part 2, so I'll be working on that. Thank you for all your support!

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:04 Sep 14, 2020

Ah, yeah, I feel ya, stress express, man. Definitely NEED part 2 hehe. No prob!

Reply

Basil Boi
15:07 Sep 14, 2020

On the newest prompts, I actually just found one that would fit the second part of the story so well! I might have time in my week to start it. I'm so pumped now and ready to do this! Thank you!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Basil Boi
14:37 Sep 21, 2020

Hello to anyone reading this! Due to many requests, I've completed pt.2!! The bad news is, that the prompt I was using went away due to its contest ending. I'm excited for y'all to read it! Just gotta wait until I find the right prompt. Please and thank you! I'll keep you posted!

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:25 Sep 22, 2020

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh i guess i'll hafta wait thennnnnnnn :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Barb S
15:11 Aug 14, 2020

Your train of thought and storytelling abilities are delightful. I love the fantastical aspect and whimsy of "learning" some new talents. I think your language and dialogue were quick, sharp and loved the "back and forth". I needed a little extra reading/time to put everyone in their place/roles for this story but feel that there is so much here ~ almost as if I needed/wanted more~ the short story that made you hungry for more. Thanks for a great read!

Reply

Basil Boi
17:53 Aug 14, 2020

Ahhh, thank you so much!!! I'm very happy you enjoyed it! :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
01:01 Aug 11, 2020

This story was absolutely delightful to read. It was creative and funny and endearing, I enjoyed it very much. The language is nice and simple. Also the title was what really made me interested as I have an unhealthy obsession with elves.

Reply

Basil Boi
00:49 Aug 12, 2020

Aw, thank you! Thanks for reading! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Basil Boi
05:31 Aug 07, 2020

Thanks for all the compliments on my pen name, much love!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Angevin
10:16 Aug 06, 2020

Great story, Basil Boi! I enjoyed it, but the names made me re-read the story before progressing towards the end (Johann, Jolan, Jalon... it's all very similar to one another!) Would you mind reading my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Basil Boi
05:27 Aug 07, 2020

Thank you, and sorry about that! I'll be sure to check it out! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

WOWZA! This was terrific! It was super creative and I can definitely appreciate turning a realistic fiction prompt into fantasy. Although, one thing: I didn’t know the main character’s name or gender until a while in, so you might want to work that into the story something. Other than that, awesome! Keep writing, Basil Boi! (Love the pen name!) ~Aerin P. S. I just wrote a new story, would you mind checking it out? Thanks!

Reply

Basil Boi
05:29 Aug 07, 2020

Thank you so much! Thank you for the feedback, I'll be sure to work on that! I'll be sure to check out the new story! :)

Reply

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.