Why don't you get along?

Written in response to: Write about somebody looking for love on a reality TV show.... view prompt

1 comment

Happy Romance Teens & Young Adult

‘Amanda,’ shouted, Mom from the kitchen. No answer. For she has been watching TV for almost half an hour now the very Sunday morning. Oh, she has been waiting for her favourite show ‘Love connection’. It was meant for those in their early twenties.

Last week, she was at a friend’s house for dinner and forgot to watch the show. Regretting it, she sat in front of the idiot box to realise her wish.

The show started where there was a group of six and who best fitted as a couple was the winning couple. 

It’s been almost two weeks since the show ‘Love Connection’ started. Although she missed the second week, she watched the first week and it’s the turn of the third week now. The first week was very interesting. It was an introductory episode of the participants- James, Kim, Sia, Anderson, Sammy and Bob.

On the first-day test, each guy had to match his tastes with the girl. Whichever girl matches more with the guy, the two would be a couple. The name of the round was ‘Choose your mate’.

First, James was asked five questions one of which and the first was his favourite colour and he answered ‘black’. Then his favourite dish was chicken salad.

The third-who is your favourite actor? Then the answer came saying Tom Cruise. The fourth question was whom did he love when he was a child- Mom or Dad?

The final one was if he loved to be an introvert or an extrovert. Then he replied he was an introvert.

Almost all the participants were done with the first round. Just then, the duration of the show ended. 

In the second hour, girls were asked the same questions. James matched with Sammy more than anyone since four questions matched- colour, favourite actor, introvert and being Mama’s pet. They were the leading couple. They got 40 points. There was a round of applause!

Once all was set for the second round, the couple had to involve together.

Now, James and Sammy made a couple with 40 points, Kim and Anderson made 30 points and Sia and Bob had 10 points. The audience clapped.

The second episode, Amanda watched on Youtube. But it was not as comfortable as watching on the big screen. A set of six dishes were arranged on the table and the couple had to interpret the food. The name of the round was ‘guess the dish’.

While Sammy would describe and guide, James was to guess the name of the dish blindfolded. The foods were roasted turkey, spinach salad, Margarita pizza, mushroom pasta, chicken burger and iced tea.

Sammy started with iced tea. She went on, “You drink it every morning. We drink it more times a day.”

Is it coffee?

You are just close.

Tea.

“What kind of tea?" she asked. “It’s related to low temperature.” Immediately his answer was ‘iced tea’. 

The host David Longman sent a big round of applause through the audience.

The next food she chose was spinach salad, for which the first cue was the food had the least calorie. He guessed it was vegetable salad. “It’s green,” she disclosed.

“If it’s a green salad then it must be spinach salad.”

The host David Longman roared with excitement and one more round of applause went around the audience.

Likewise, he could guess three foods. 30 points making 70 in all.

The remaining participants were inside waiting for their turn.

Now the next couple Kim and Anderson joined the second round. Now Kim was called for interpretation. Among the foods were Mexican corn salad, garlic bread, Chinese egg fried rice, and a few more. Anderson tried helping her in her job. Where Kim could answer the names of garlic bread, corn salad and strawberries, they received 30 points in all. 

The final couple could gain just 10 points altogether since they could not interpret any. It was time for elimination and it was for Sia and Bob. Tears rolled down the cheeks of Sia. When she was asked to speak, she disclosed that she only wanted participation and not winning in particular.

“Thank you, Mr Frank and the sponsors of the show for involving and encouraging young talent.”

As for Bob, “I wished we understood ourselves better.”

The two couples James-Sammy and Kim-Anderson were promoted to the next round.

The female host Gracey Hamilton handed over the mouthpiece to James and asked him to speak a few words about his promotion to the next round.

“I am thrilled to win through the first round and wish everyone good luck.” 

There is a disclaimer showing the couple are just characters in the show and everything is for fun and nothing is serious.

Now the real part of the show starts-lovemaking. The couples will be taken out for one whole day and points will be awarded. James and Sammy were taken to a Kitty bakery in New York. Here the reward of points was based on how well each couple got along.

First, a minion cake was arranged before the first couple could sit at the table. They exchanged the minions as part of the contest. 10 points. They could order what they want and so did they.

James ordered strawberry-flavoured macrons for Sammy and she could eat five of them. They got 20 points for both rounds. Sammy ordered iced tea for James, he sipped a little and went through drinking halfway through. For this, only 5 marks were awarded.

Now it’s the turn of Kim and Anderson, who got 28 points. 

Anderson and Kim wanted to order only one cake and shared it. Then, Kim ordered Anderson ice cream three times and he ate it. This showed the strength of couplehood in comparison to that of James-Sammy.

Altogether Kim-Anderson’s total reached 88 points.

James and Sammy got all in all 90 points. The final round was ‘cook your best in the least time.’ The couple had to go shopping and pick provisions for the round. James chose pasta and tomatoes whereas Sammy chose cheese.

Anderson chose Ramen in the market which he could make well and Kim, who did not know cooking, chose eggs to poach.

The cooking started with the lead couple. They prepared creamy pasta in 8 minutes. And received 9 points.

Kim couple cooked Ramen in three minutes and received 8 points. The dish was Ramen with poached eggs.

Although they cooked in less time, James’ couple made the dish sumptuous for which they got an extra point! 


August 04, 2022 05:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

06:08 Aug 04, 2022

The story discusses cute things that young adults share during their love life. It may be exchanging warmth, greetings on important occasions, or caring for the other.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.